Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/23/12 3:15 p.m.

I'd mostly decided on an SN95 Mustang GT as my new fun car. I want something with a strong aftermarket with a back seat that is available with an automatic transmission so SWMBO can drive it without too much of an issue.

Then, I remembered "Nissan 240" and derailed myself. I've always liked those, too, and they look better than the Mustang.

I'm sure I'm not alone- this is how we wind up with 5 (or more) cars in our stables.

In my case, I guess if I can find a clean Nissan for a good price, I'll buy it. Ditto with the Mustang GT.

red5_02
red5_02 Reader
10/23/12 8:29 p.m.

You're probably more likely to find a decent Mustang with an auto than you are to find a decent Nissan at all

frenchy
frenchy New Reader
10/23/12 9:03 p.m.

What's the budget? 350z would be fun, even with an auto.

Brett_Murphy
10/24/12 11:21 a.m.

I'm trying to keep it around 3 grand. If I can find a banged up Mustang with a good drivetrain, it would be ideal.

But yeah, finding a good Nissan at that price is probably impossible.

I was just venting to a crowd that understands, mostly.

lnlds
lnlds New Reader
10/24/12 11:25 a.m.

why not an e36 328i?

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac MegaDork
10/24/12 11:28 a.m.

I think you'd be able to find a good 240 for $3k... The drift tax is real, but isn't quite as bad as the internet would have you believe.

jmthunderbirdturbo
jmthunderbirdturbo Reader
10/24/12 12:08 p.m.

nissans? screw the 240, go with 280 or 300...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/24/12 12:24 p.m.

Why no f-body? 350/auto is one of the best combos out there...

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson SuperDork
10/24/12 12:30 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Why no f-body? 350/auto is one of the best combos out there...

If your looking for an Autocross / track day car then an F body is the better car. If you want to drive it without a bag over your head to hide your identity and avoid dead hooker jokes the SN95 is by far the nicer street car.

Be warned, Tom Spangler had an auto SN95 this summer. Both of us had manual SN95's when they were new cars, both of us were stunned at how sluggish it felt. From 5mph up my 2013 V6 auto simply destroyed the car. Performance has moved on magnitudes in the last 15-20 years.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
10/24/12 12:36 p.m.
Adrian_Thompson wrote: Both of us had manual SN95's when they were new cars, both of us were stunned at how sluggish it felt.

And this is why as an sho owner, I actively hunt those cars.....

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
10/24/12 4:57 p.m.
jmthunderbirdturbo wrote: nissans? screw the 240, go with 280 or 300...

not the Z... the SX.... or in Japan the Silvia

S13 late 80s early 90s S14 mid 90s

S14 is a much cleaner car... I don't think you'll find a clean one for $3000, not an S14... an S13 you might find one or two that have not been hammered on...

McTinkerson
McTinkerson New Reader
10/24/12 4:59 p.m.

How usable do these back seats have to be? FD RX-7 and talk to us frostbacks who get the JDM ones and grab a back seat out of one? I know of 2 JDM FD back seats you could get for free.

Edit: Totally forgot FC's were available as 2+2's as well in North America (and Japan).

Brett_Murphy
10/24/12 7:24 p.m.

The back seats have to hold two children and car seats for weekend drives.

And as for why no F-Body, I HATE the way they look.

Keep in mind this isn't a what car thread (though it is turning into one), it is a case of having very loose requirements and lots of cars that meet those requirements. Kind of the opposite of trying to find an E39 BMW Touring with a 5 speed and a sport package.

Hell, by the time I'm ready to buy the car, I'll probably be able to get a GTO or a G8 GXP.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
A7RvMU4siIIihoFPLQbLOGG0Tkf5jZGyLqiXui5cjSo7vanzTHL4sooKO7tXGKxL