1 2 3
DukeOfUndersteer
DukeOfUndersteer SuperDork
6/16/11 9:42 a.m.

....Spec Rio....

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/11 10:52 a.m.

Spec Rio sounded like a great idea but I don't know if they ever got the fan controlled nitrous figured out http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/spec-rio/7759/page1/

kazoospec
kazoospec Reader
6/16/11 11:25 a.m.
mmosbey wrote: I have been thinking Spec P-71 would be great. They're widely available, cheap, and durable. Parts are cheap and plentiful. From what I've read, they're not too different in performance from year to year.

I second this one. I mean really, shouldn't all entertaining race cars come with a push bar and known P.I.T. maneuver parameters?

plance1
plance1 Dork
6/16/11 11:28 a.m.

why does everyone think they need to have a manual transmission?

Conquest351
Conquest351 Reader
6/16/11 11:47 a.m.

I actually wrote a 14 page rulebook for a new Can-Am series and even had Jim Hall look it over and give his blessing. Only problem is, I'm too broke to actually get the thing going. I was talking to a couple of privateer race teams who had older LeMans and ALMS cars who were extremely excited for something like this. Anyway, would be cool to actually come about.

How about a Spec Exo-Cars series? Home made Exo-Cars and Ariel Atoms running head to head? Doesn't that sound like fun?

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid HalfDork
6/16/11 11:56 a.m.
Duke wrote:
SyntheticBlinkerFluid wrote: I've been thinking of a Mid-Size spec. Camry, Accord, Altima, Sonata, Optima, etc. All-4 Cyl cars, all manual transmissions. I think it's really feasible. It would be easy to score parts.
The problem is scoring manual transmissions in this class of car. They are probably 10 to 1 in the minority. I say mount a big transmission cooler and run the automatics.

I'm talking older models. You could easily find camrys and accords with manuals in 4-cyl guise. There are a lot around this area.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/11 12:09 p.m.
mmosbey wrote: Spec Aztek should be a demolition derby class.

ftfy

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/11 12:14 p.m.

I wonder if we can get an Aztek into lemons.. imagine the possibilities for themes..

failboat
failboat Reader
6/16/11 2:18 p.m.

Are they really that bad? One of my co workers dd's one, has well over 200k on it. He seems to like it ok.

I thought we liked E36 M3ty cars here at GRM?

DoctorBlade
DoctorBlade HalfDork
6/16/11 2:36 p.m.

I know there's about twelve different Azteks around where I live, and only one of them is is cruddy shape. The rest are like roaches, hard to kill.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
6/16/11 2:38 p.m.
failboat wrote: Are they really that bad? One of my co workers dd's one, has well over 200k on it. He seems to like it ok. I thought we liked E36 M3ty cars here at GRM?

E36 M3ty cars are fine. E36 M3ty + hideous is irredeemable.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
6/16/11 2:43 p.m.
JeffHarbert wrote: Spec Aveo! Imagine all the 30mph fun.

you realize with a spec aveo series you'd have to change the timing belt after every race right?

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
6/16/11 2:49 p.m.

Spec Chrysler K-Car, Spec Chrysler Sebring, Spec Chrysler LeBaron, Spec Chrysler/Dodge LHS, Stratus, whatever Cab Forward car based off that chassis series. Spec Neon SRT-4 blind folded edition. Spec Cobalt, Spec dEathSCORT, Spec GM W-Body, and I'd say a spec Rotary series but those fail enough on their own.

Duke
Duke SuperDork
6/16/11 3:38 p.m.

So I guess Spec Aztek could be called "Spaztek"...?

mndsm
mndsm SuperDork
6/16/11 4:38 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I wonder if we can get an Aztek into lemons.. imagine the possibilities for themes..

They'd probably GIVE you laps for bringing that pig in there. Or you'd have to get Jay Lamm REALLY liquored up to not have it crushed under the curse, just so he didn't have to look at it anymore.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/16/11 7:11 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I wonder if we can get an Aztek into lemons.. imagine the possibilities for themes..

Can you get airbrushed lowrider-style artwork on a lemons budget?

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
6/16/11 7:28 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Can you get airbrushed lowrider-style artwork on a lemons budget?

I dunno about Lemons,m but it would be free budget-wise in chumpcar.

Chumpcar Rules said: 4.7.2. Expenses applied to theme and engineering concepts DO NOT count toward the $500 total, provided that neither theme nor engineering are based on “race car” concepts. (Otherwise known as calling your tricked-out $500 crap-can entry an “IMSA GTU Theme” or “NASCAR COT Theme” or “Ford SVO Engineering Concept” and trying to pass-off all those race car bits as part of the “theme. Don’t even think of going there… but we would entertain a Chaparral 2J concept car.)
PubBurgers
PubBurgers Dork
6/16/11 7:47 p.m.

Spec Minivan? Caravans, Aerostars, Freestars, Villagers, etc. They're dirt cheap and everywhere.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
6/16/11 8:15 p.m.

Spec Catera

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
6/16/11 8:16 p.m.

if you are going there.. spec cavilier... though I imagine that you could let the pontiac Sunbird and Sunfire in too

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
6/16/11 10:42 p.m.

all the same chassis, it'd be tough to pry those cars away from all the Meth addicts though. Those seem to be their vehicles of choice...can't forget Casey Anthony either. That child killing party whore sported a Sunfire.

Gubby
Gubby Reader
6/16/11 11:07 p.m.

Spec Shea? http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Spec_Shea

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
6/17/11 12:43 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

I'm impressed that you were able to find PG-rated Aztec princess drawing.

ShadowSix
ShadowSix Reader
6/17/11 12:52 a.m.
plance1 wrote: why does everyone think they need to have a manual transmission?
  1. Not many autos can be made road-racing stout for cheap

2. Need to spend money on a shift kit to select your own gear (most of the time)

3. Autos just don't seem to wear well. Manuals get sloppy, maybe grind a bit or pop out of gear, but tired autos just feel terrible like they could die at any moment.

Edit: The exception to this , late '80's - early '90's full-size pickups. It's all about the combination of sturdy transmissions and low power, emissions strangled engines. And hilarious leaf spring live axle handling.

JoeyM
JoeyM SuperDork
6/17/11 5:34 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote: In reply to JoeyM: I'm impressed that you were able to find PG-rated Aztec princess drawing.

Yes, while looking I did see some others that would not have been appropriate for here

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
EZ7m7QMTSmbWSLQHEowTGQU2A0BLrcNE83L7AJ7ZgR9zGEfvEmSxOWUixOLZ2Szq