1 2
wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/6/24 12:52 p.m.

I tend to swing wildly from cheap and cheerful to expensive every three or four years. I sold all my modern stuff during Covid and bought a V8 XL F150 and been loving it. But it has some failings like now power windows, no power locks and all the other stuff that comes with a XL. Quite a downgrade from my R8 but I love the stupid thing. Getting the itch again to go way upmarket again.

There is no easy way to make the XL a better place to be and after towing over 10K miles with it I love the utility but not living with it on the daily. I was 80% set on getting another Ghost and keeping the truck on the side of the house but my insurance company has but the absolute stop to that. Apparently they have had major payouts on vandalism and they straight up will not insure it for daily use. Moving a mix of 15 bikes/classic cars and dailies over to a new company is not going to happen so its out. 

Recently I have been looking at a RS6 as a daily, got to drive it on on our E36 M3 roads here in SoCal and was pretty disappointed at the experience. Astonishing when the roads are smooth and unbroken but that is like 10% of the roads here. Same with the Blackwing. My god do I love the Blackwing with the manual and at 85K used for a loaded up car it really is a ton of car for the money. 

So between the 4.0T VW V8's, the LT1/LT4 powered cars and even the hellcats/GT500 powered stuff what is going to be the best 4 door, comfortable option that is not completely boring should I bee looking at. I would love me some 

FYI the Urus is completely out due to the suspension, the Bentayga is OK, the RSQ8 is out. RS6 I like but maybe it was not optioned properly not sure fi you can get it with a comfort or executive pack. Deep down I know that I should just look at a Raptor R but I cannot find one at MSRP for the life of me and I am not paying a dollar over. 

pres589 (djronnebaum)
pres589 (djronnebaum) UltimaDork
10/6/24 1:06 p.m.

"Best boosted V8 four door for daily use."

lol what

codrus (Forum Supporter)
codrus (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
10/6/24 1:29 p.m.

Did you drive the RS6 with the air suspension or steel one?  Mine has the air and it's pretty soft for an "RS" car -- enough so that I'm almost tempted to convert it to steel.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/6/24 1:53 p.m.

It had the steel suspension. My dad has the Q5 hybrid on steel and it's stiff. It I always blame the run flats. I have driven the air suspension version on standard tires and it is lovely. 

I think I need to go try the softer RS6. The only other thing I did not like was the black paint or olastov arcoss the dash. I would have to swap that out for something like matte carbon. It does darn near everything I want in a car. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
10/6/24 1:59 p.m.

My first thought based on your thread title was Panamera Turbo S. 

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/24 7:02 p.m.

My cls550 and my wife's GL450.  Both 4.7l v8s with twin turbos.   The cls has a bit of a tune.  It is never boring.  Very fast. Highly recommend.  

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/6/24 7:35 p.m.

CT5 Blackwing with a stick probably won't depreciate like some of the others, and comes in cool colors

EricM
EricM UltraDork
10/6/24 7:36 p.m.

The antonym of grassroots 

I vote for the Porsche Panemara

eastsideTim
eastsideTim UltimaDork
10/6/24 8:13 p.m.

F150 XLT or higher trim Crew Cab with the Ford supercharger kit?

SV reX
SV reX MegaDork
10/6/24 9:00 p.m.

Have you driven an Ecoboost?

I own a V8 F150 and an identical Ecoboost F150.  The Ecoboost puts the V8 to shame in all ways (including towing).  In a Platinum trim level, it's a very nice place to be.

It's not an R8, but it may scratch the itch and eliminate the need for 2 vehicles (and insurance).

Kreb (Forum Supporter)
Kreb (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/6/24 9:02 p.m.

No Turbo, but with 450 HP my 2011 c63amg doesn't need one.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
10/6/24 10:01 p.m.

S60 with a turbo 3.0 6.  

You don't need a v8 when you have boost.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/6/24 10:07 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

This thread is not about need :)

Dodge would like to sell you a Hellcat of some description. 

Tom Suddard
Tom Suddard GRM+ Memberand Publisher
10/6/24 10:10 p.m.

Have you driven a Model S Plaid? It's the final boss of big torquey sedans and it's a fantastic daily, too. 

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
10/6/24 10:21 p.m.

There is ZERO need here. Just lust. 

Blackwing is my current favorite after driving one a few weeks back. ~85K for a certified manual in the baby blue with the white interior is available locally. Has the fancy seats but not the full leather and no carbon pack so it was pretty cheap to begin with. 

Just poking around right now. been sick over the last four days pretty bad and reassessing the fleet because I was able to get the garage decently cleaned up. Sold two dirt bikes and I can get another car in the garage. I was dead set on getting a MV SuperVeloce but after two really bad test rides and one good one I just could no pull the trigger. Lost a really good vintage 32 roadster at auction as well at the last second which I would have given to my dad as a present.

Been sitting on the couch watching YouTube as well because I keep getting tired so quickly and scrolling through marketplace for a say to spend some money. 

Mndsm
Mndsm MegaDork
10/6/24 10:31 p.m.

I love when weary what car threads pop up. They always get so weird. 

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
10/6/24 10:42 p.m.

An early Taycan Turbo S is down to $80k or so. Maybe not quite as quick as a Model S Plaid but it's a heck of a lot better screwed together. And 0-60 in 2.4 seconds is no joke. 

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/7/24 1:33 a.m.

M5, why is that missing?

Drop 2 doors, M8?

STM317
STM317 PowerDork
10/7/24 5:45 a.m.

If the Blackwings are too stiff and performance oriented, and you're considering Ghost/Bentayga money, then you could definitely shop a Panamera Turbo (or Turbo S) E-Hybrid. Preferably in the Sport Touring wagon body. Turbo v8, ~30 miles of all electric range for commutes, 770 total system hp and less obvious "rich dude showing off" vibes than a Rolls or Bentley.

Looks like you can find used ones for Blackwing money

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
10/7/24 7:30 a.m.

whipple an f150?

Raptor r v8?

calteg
calteg UltraDork
10/7/24 8:22 a.m.
STM317 said:

If the Blackwings are too stiff and performance oriented, and you're considering Ghost/Bentayga money, then you could definitely shop a Panamera Turbo (or Turbo S) E-Hybrid. Preferably in the Sport Touring wagon body. Turbo v8, ~30 miles of all electric range for commutes, 770 total system hp and less obvious "rich dude showing off" vibes than a Rolls or Bentley.

Looks like you can find used ones for Blackwing money

I came to post this. Taycan or Panamera wagon. If the RS6 is mostly there, figure out the combo of suspension & tire (non runflats) that will make the ride acceptable. 

Wildcard: Lexus IS-F with an aftermarket blower. Probably $50k all in, just avoid the '08s and 09s, they had hilariously bad OEM suspensions

pinchvalve (Forum Supporter)
pinchvalve (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/24 8:43 a.m.

These pop up from time to time...

Karacticus
Karacticus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/7/24 9:02 a.m.

Somebody needs to buy or lease the latest M5 wagon new so that someday one of us can purchase it use.

Just saying.

AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter)
AngryCorvair (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/7/24 9:49 a.m.

I was gonna say RS6. Now I need to get under ours and see if it's got bags or boings. On 22s with 285/30s, the ride seems not overly stiff to me and I'm on E36 M3ty Michigan roads.

ScottyB
ScottyB HalfDork
10/7/24 10:33 a.m.

you can pick up a used Cayenne Turbo for a pretty good price these days, and assuming you can turn a wrench, might not be too bad to really put some miles on.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nfJd65mZYoV9fIsZVyKwstd1ZpEngdKB7sUkd7eouzaPs9VEQAzIG9H2dYq7ugkL