David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/17 12:22 p.m.

Sometimes simple and old school just works.

Link.

slantvaliant
slantvaliant UltraDork
3/21/17 12:31 p.m.

I much prefer the plain, easy-to-read plates. That's one reason my Valiant has white on black Texas year-of-manufacture plates.

OK, I'd have preferred the reverse color scheme, but the year's wrong.

Toebra
Toebra Reader
3/21/17 12:32 p.m.

The new black plates don't look as good as the old ones because of the reflectoized paint they use.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/17 12:36 p.m.

California black plate used to mean something! But they look good.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/21/17 12:38 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

Whale Tails used to mean something too.

photo Porsche2004.jpg

aircooled
aircooled MegaDork
3/21/17 12:42 p.m.

These have been very popular. I of course see them on a lot of black cars (a black car in a sunny and dusty environment... yeah), but it is kind of strange to see them on less color coordinated modern cars.

The yellow is definitely different then the old ones (old ones are a bit more gold colored). I am curious what combination of 3 letter, 3 numbers (original format) you could get though. E.g. POR 911 (HAS to be gone!), GTO 965, BUG 965

Also of note, any of these plates that are not customized, are in what I am assuming are the next number format, which I think is letter, 3 numbers, 2 letters CA is quickly running out of Number, 3 letter, 3 number, plates.

Schrödinger's Flight Service
Schrödinger's Flight Service MegaDork
3/21/17 12:43 p.m.
Woody wrote: In reply to Keith Tanner: Whale Tails used to mean something too.  photo Porsche2004.jpg

They still do!

{img src="Insert GGA picture of woman wearing a thong above the waist line of skin tight pants/jeans" /}

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UltraDork
3/21/17 2:09 p.m.

I like them

GTXVette
GTXVette HalfDork
3/21/17 3:36 p.m.

Being a former Floridian, ARRIVE ALIVE

Being a former Smoker , ARRIVE STONED

Grizz
Grizz UltraDork
3/21/17 3:43 p.m.

Delaware has black plates. People pay ridiculous amounts of money for them and I have no idea why.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
3/21/17 5:35 p.m.

My 911 wore a Turbo tail when I got it, so I ran this plate:

Now that's old enough, it has an antique tag. I like the cleaner look, too.

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
3/21/17 6:22 p.m.

I'd run antiques on the 4Runner, but, as per Illinois standard, they cost more.

Funk that.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
3/21/17 6:24 p.m.

Now MI needs to bring back the old white on blue plate.

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
3/21/17 6:37 p.m.

Still have the original California Blue plate for my Opel GT. Guess I could run it on the front since Alabama doesn't use front plates. Looked into getting antique plates for it but the restrictions are too stiff and fines too high. Basically only can drive to and from car events. Regular plates are cheap enough, I have retired military - army plate on it. A one-time fee of $5 to get it. Have it on 3 of my cars, only one that doesn't is SWMBO's and she didn't want it since she isn't retired military.

Brian
Brian MegaDork
3/21/17 7:31 p.m.

Nice. I may update to NY's semi-retro gold/blue. Only because I can get it for free, as my white/blue Empire plates are peeling. I just don't want to lose my plate number as it can be read as "ejaculate", nor do I want to pay extra to keep it.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
n0d5aMYGVXpzHvhxVIHR7AGG6cr05WM8teNRyPMonRVrmgmxzegAb3pcy2ITLJWj