1 2 3 4 5 6
bravenrace
bravenrace PowerDork
5/2/13 10:18 a.m.
SilverFleet wrote: Let's see... 1979 Trans Am: I must be either Burt Reynolds or some dude that exclusively wears teal mesh tank tops and has a mullet

Or your avatar really is you.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/13 10:19 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: RX7 = mechanic

Probably the most consistently true of all stereotypes because it's self-fulfilling

Ashyukun
Ashyukun GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/2/13 10:25 a.m.
Neckromacr wrote: Scirocco-Eccentric maybe? I wanted a Delorean but could only afford a VW?

I've always wondered... when people see a Biturbo, do they think, "Wanted a DeLorean but couldn't afford it", or do they think, "Wanted a Biturbo but couldn't afford it" when they see a DeLorean.

... OK, in retrospect, never mind- it's silly to think anyone would want a Biturbo.

(OK, that's not wholly fair- I'd love a Biturbo Spyder to play with...)

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/13 10:26 a.m.

Minivan = Family with kids.

I have known a few racers who prefer the room to sleep in, haul stuff, make parts runs, etc.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/2/13 10:27 a.m.

Biturbo = Masochist

mazdeuce
mazdeuce Dork
5/2/13 10:27 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Astro Van: No habla ingles.

That made me laugh. A lot. You must live in my neighborhood.

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy Dork
5/2/13 10:34 a.m.
trucke wrote:
GameboyRMH wrote: old Corolla with performance mods = cheapass wannabe sports car owner
I resemble that description. Isn't 'cheapass' a euphemism for GRM?

Hmmm, 3 Corollas here... 1983(rwd), 1986(rwd), 1989(awd)

I guess that makes me a 3 times cheapass........ hmmm, that is one word you might use to describe me..... not very complete of a determination, but definately accurate in some respects.

Klayfish
Klayfish Dork
5/2/13 10:49 a.m.
poopshovel wrote: Astro Van: No habla ingles.

Que?

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/2/13 10:50 a.m.

Maybe not stereotypes, but my observations:

Bought a 350Z, people told me it made me seem like a douche, but in fact most of the other 350Z drivers around are 30-50 year old women. Even the one I had was originally owned by some guy's trophy wife. Owning the 350Z made me notice G35 coupe owners, interestingly they are nearly all douches.

I bought a Fit, that car says nothing. Maybe it says "this person has to parallel park frequently." As common with college professors as college students. Seemingly people from all walks of life have use for a tiny minivan.

I have an '89 2-door, old-school Toyota 4Runner, I am the only person in Ohio who has worn a suit in their '80's Toyota 4x4. Possible exception for funerals.

Been thinking about buying a Miata forever, never pulled the trigger. For a car that Hollywood thinks it the zenith gay automobilia they are usually driven by 40+ year old white guys, often with wives in the car. Occasionally the driver is a middle-aged woman, and just recently ricers seem to have discovered the Miata. Despite the stereotype I have never seen a Miata with a 20-ish girl behind the wheel or a bumper plastered with Cher/Madonna/Kathy Griffin stickers.

Friend's parents bought a hybrid, I suddenly noticed that most hybrids around are not piloted by birkenstock wearing patchouli sniffers, but by conservative looking older people.

Jeeps: I know people used to buy Jeeps for the image, I'm not sure if that's still true, I do know that I never see signs of actual off road use on anything other than XJ's and Wranglers and never on a Jeep less that ten or fifteen years old. It takes a decade of depreciation before anyone uses them for what they were designed for.

Corvettes: Associated why guidos, people who wear gold chains? Usually the newer corvette owner is a retired blue-collar worker. Somebody who spent 40 years fixing air conditioners and decided to use a little bit of retirement money to buy the car he always wanted. This has a lot to do with why so many Corvettes are in perfect shape, they are cherished objects.

Cavaliers/Cobalts: I like the cobalt, I almost bought a turbo 4 door SS when they first came out. I think it was at least a decent car. However, for some reason, the Cavalier/Cobalt is the only car on the market that sells new to hard-core white trash. Not every Cobalt owner is white trash, not even most, but if somebody just made a bundle selling meth and needs to trade in a beat automatic V6 Camaro they are going to get a new Cobalt. I don't know why. I never noticed this with the Focus or Neon. It remains to be seen if the Cruze will pick up the white trash torch.

Donks: It's really hard to see these things and not think "drug dealer," or at least "idiot," but I've met a couple and stopped to help a couple by the side of the road and they have all been pretty nice, normal people. Still hate the cars though.

Really though, most cars say nothing about their owners. They say more about what seemed like a good deal on the Saturday the owner went to all the local dealers more than anything. Regular people see cars as completely fungible. Get a color you like and go home.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
5/2/13 10:58 a.m.

With all the Prius =Enviro-hippie-snob talk that I hear I only ever seem to see elderly couples driving them.

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
5/2/13 10:59 a.m.

Sportbikes, diesel dually, new and old 4x4s, atvs, sports cars, muscle cars, ac VWs, old 4 door land yachts. I hit a lot of the stereotypes....especially the small wang ones, but I just deal with it. Generally I look at it like this...no matter what I take out someone will hate me and someone else will think I'm awesome....I can return one car and take out another and those same two people will swap roles.

ditchdigger
ditchdigger SuperDork
5/2/13 11:02 a.m.

What is my stereotype?

The daily

The toy and ex-daily

Cotton
Cotton SuperDork
5/2/13 11:04 a.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Jeeps: I know people used to buy Jeeps for the image, I'm not sure if that's still true, I do know that I never see signs of actual off road use on anything other than XJ's and Wranglers and never on a Jeep less that ten or fifteen years old. It takes a decade of depreciation before anyone uses them for what they were designed for.

We have an 8 month old Wrangler, bought new, with 17k miles and it's currently covered in mud. I will admit though I prefer my 99 XJ offroad...partially because the Wrangler is still "nice", but also because the XJ is smaller and lighter.

ransom
ransom GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/2/13 11:04 a.m.

Windowless fullsize fan: well, that's pretty obvious
WRX: someone shiny and/or happy
2002: hipster yuppie
Ranchero: Texan hippie
Kawasaki EX500: Hypermiling commuter with delusions of grand prix

ShadowSix
ShadowSix HalfDork
5/2/13 11:24 a.m.
Cotton wrote:
ShadowSix wrote: Jeeps: I know people used to buy Jeeps for the image, I'm not sure if that's still true, I do know that I never see signs of actual off road use on anything other than XJ's and Wranglers and never on a Jeep less that ten or fifteen years old. It takes a decade of depreciation before anyone uses them for what they were designed for.
We have an 8 month old Wrangler, bought new, with 17k miles and it's currently covered in mud. I will admit though I prefer my 99 XJ offroad...partially because the Wrangler is still "nice", but also because the XJ is smaller and lighter.

I think you're in a class by yourself Cotton. For christ's sake your avatar is a photo of your Baja Bug. Which you own.

As for signs of off-road use, I'm not talking about mud, because mud can be washed off and you can drive a Honda Accord through a muddy field if you want. I look for either body damage consistent with brushes with trees, rocks, etc. or modifications to prevent said damage that show use as well. I may be wrong, but if a rig has no rock sliders, OEM (rather than, say ARB) bumpers, and a perfect scratch-free factory paint job, then I assume it has never been off-road.

I have an old Army friend that bought a new Wrangler shortly after we commissioned and had that thing on the trails the weekend after he bought it. I'm pretty sure you guys are exceptions to the rule.

thestig99
thestig99 HalfDork
5/2/13 11:35 a.m.

Saab 9000 and Miata.

Gay architect?

kazoospec
kazoospec HalfDork
5/2/13 12:06 p.m.

Think mine have already been covered, but here goes: 1997 Saturn SL - cheap/meth cook - yes/no

1994 Miata - M Edition - extra gay hairdresser - no

2004 Odyssey - a transmission fail waiting to happen - probably

benzbaronDaryn
benzbaronDaryn Dork
5/2/13 12:10 p.m.

1994 toyota pickup- hard working mexican gardener

1978 mercedes 280slc- bitter old man- get off my lawn

I'm neither a mexican gardener or a bitter old man so that throws a curveball.

poopshovel
poopshovel UltimaDork
5/2/13 12:44 p.m.
hard working mexican

Now THAT'S funny!

Beer Baron
Beer Baron UltimaDork
5/2/13 12:59 p.m.

Let's see...

Porsche 944... Astro Van... had a BMW M Coupe... trading up a Miata for an S2000

That makes me... a gay, Asian, hairdressing, yuppie, shiny happy person who works in IT, and who has a giant Mexican family.

SWMBO obeyed has an RX-8. That would make her a geeky chick who likes to auto-x. Actually, that one fits her almost spot on.

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/2/13 1:14 p.m.

Let's see:
Volvo C30 - Gayest of the gay (It won a best gay car list beating out the Miata a few years ago)
Mustang V6 convertible with auto - Hairdresser
White Geo Tracker with hot pink 'Tracker' logo's on the side - Beyond the gayest of the gay
Saab 900 - Architect.

So I’m a very very out there gay hairdresser who designs houses (or at least interior decorations) in his spare time! Damn, I better apologize to my wife and kids for misleading them for so many years.

JoeyM
JoeyM MegaDork
5/2/13 1:23 p.m.
ShadowSix wrote: Regular people see cars as completely fungible. Get a color you like and go home.

^^ the most depressing - and most accurate - post in this thread

Adrian_Thompson
Adrian_Thompson UltraDork
5/2/13 1:28 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
ShadowSix wrote: Regular people see cars as completely fungible. Get a color you like and go home.
^^ the most depressing - and most accurate - post in this thread

Also a cool post for the word fungible, I haven't seen it used in years.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 HalfDork
5/2/13 1:35 p.m.

ive got:

1997 neon ACR: im a cool racer wannabe that cant afford a honda

2002 subaru legacy 2.5gt wagon: im stuck in daddyland with hopes of still looking kinda manly

1964 el camino beater pt build: i have a mullet, listen to billy ray cyrus, and am a redneck that wants to be a race car driver when i grow up.

1970 duster, full PT: im a mopar guy. therfore all else is crap. and i can only go straight, dont care about handling, think everything is worth its weight in gold, and bleed petty blue.

only some of these are true. not many....

yamaha
yamaha UltraDork
5/2/13 1:44 p.m.

The honda kids around me steal each others E36 M3......and the rest is almost only diesel rice anymore....

1 2 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UdBfNoTVKG098r5BdW7lH5FJdPx9PlUdAjGN30vsnbp6CBo8iLTRQzxElxHZ7bRo