1 2 3 4
accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
3/12/14 6:29 p.m.

I love the Cobalt SS the only one I've ridden in did feel "plasticy," but also had a very rice looking interior. It's the same way I feel about the Focus ST I saw, color matched panels and sewn onto the seats. Not a big deal really, but really goofy looking. I'm not sure if they're all that way or ??

Datsun310Guy
Datsun310Guy PowerDork
3/12/14 6:46 p.m.

a guy at work likes these - with the "panic" steering column GM recall issue this past few weeks I further encouraged him that he might find a smoking deal on one.

seyhan3535
seyhan3535
3/12/14 7:43 p.m.

I'll chime in about Saab. Currently I own a 2.0T 2006 model saab 9-3SS.

The 2.0T is basically a turbocharged lsj motor with 205bhp out of the factory. Between 2003-2006 saab offered two 2.0 liter turbo charged engines. The capital T and small t resepctively.

The 2.0t made about 175hp and was straddled with a smaller turbocharger. And a milder cam. After 2006 you got your 2.8t v6 in the aero platforms. The 2.8t's with a simple tune can make more than 300bhp and more torque than hp.

They do weigh more than their cobalt counter parts but nothing like removing some luxuries to go faster. The 2.0T can be tune easily to 300bhp with a couple of bolt ons (i.e intercooler, downpipe). You'll make more hp on e85 though.

As for parts, I haven't had any difficulty finding parts. I replaced my entire driver side door to the tune of 75$ dollars( a la craigslist). As long you know what you're doing this is really a good car to own. I would avoid the 2003 models and just look for 2004-2008 aero/vector models.

There was also a run of AWD 2.8t and 2.0T cars from 2008-2009ish? This includes also the 280bhp saab turbo x which was a hopped up aero basically.

Only trouble spots I can recall is the fuel sending unit( I think i bought the part for 28$?) and the audio from 2003-2006 relies on optical fiber so you can't replace the head unit. Other then that I love how the car handles and drives and can't wait to get it tuned.

cobaltsslow
cobaltsslow New Reader
3/19/14 10:40 a.m.

Signed up just to comment on this..

I own a 2009 SS/TC and ive been racing it in STX last year and again this year. It looks like it will be fairly competitive locally once I get wheels/tires and the afformentioned powell XXX swaybar. Aftermarket support is somewhat limited but john powells stuff is great (he designed the suspension for the time attack car someone else mentioned).

As for the mexiflush team dynamics 17x9 wheels - I ordered mine in +45 offset to get the rears to fit and will be running the hubcentric H&R 15mm spacer on the front to clear the brakes. This will allow me to rotate and have proper offset on all corners.

Only problem with team dynamics is the 8-12 week waiting period since they are drilled to spec in england and then shipped via boat. Mine should be here in 4-6 weeks...

I have also rallycrossed this car and it is quite fast there as well.

Http://Www.Youtube.com/sk8ta1515

^ ive got a bunchof videos of me autocrossing it on 85$ GT Radial 235-40-18s from last year and I did okay even on them.

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/lolferrari-how-i-beat-a-458-italia-in-a-cobalt-989562604

http://oppositelock.jalopnik.com/stop-what-youre-doing-and-find-your-local-rally-x-1510441255

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 12:10 p.m.

The supercharged models are crap. Not fast at all. Ive drven both the turbo and s charged amd the turbo models are waaaay faster. Its actually a nice car amd quick. My cousin was making 300hp and nearly the same ammount of torque with just a trick tune on the stock ecu. After,arket parts are overpriced like hahn. But they are quick amd comfortable. The ecotec engine is no joke. Just my .2. There are other cars that. Might give a better value for your money but the cobalt ss (TURBO) is a great car

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 12:13 p.m.

A trick tune and a couple hahn. Parts. That car took such a daily beating but it held strong for a long time

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 12:20 p.m.

The tc models has the lnf engine in them and they come well built. Sodium filled exhaust valves amd vvt with a borg warner turbo. Gm released a stage 2 kit and ecu flash upgraded map at 650$ And other goodies that givw the car 290hp and 340 lbs of torque. Thats monster torque for a 2 liter.

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 12:27 p.m.

between the supercharged and turbo models the turbos are faster and handle very good stock. The turbo models are just better in every way. Ive spent alot of time in both and the tc version made me smile the whole time

wspohn
wspohn Reader
3/19/14 2:24 p.m.

WRX, Mazdaspeed 3, Cobalt SS, all are similar FWD monsters or potential power monsters, but I think the Cobalt is by far the cheapest entry to that particular club.

And the upgrade path for the LNF is clear and easy - add money, get a dead reliable output a small V8 would envy.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/19/14 2:49 p.m.

In reply to Toyomikey92:

Having lived with a s/c ion(I'm not a plebian conformist), they most definitely aren't "crap" compared to the later turbo version.....just different. Our stage 2 package for the s/c cars bumped them up from 205hp to around 250hp(similar difference to the turbo car+GMPP) and instant torque for when driving in anger. Stock vs stock, there isn't much difference in the 1/4mi if the css t/c isn't using the launch control and "no lift upshift" functions. Been there, done that. The choice between the two honestly just depends if you want whistly turbo noises or a screaming supercharger.

Personally, I'll take another Ion Redline again over any Cobalt/HHR wearing SS badges.

Datsun310Guy wrote: a guy at work likes these - with the "panic" steering column GM recall issue this past few weeks I further encouraged him that he might find a smoking deal on one.

That might actually work.....and I still think the issue is blown out of proportion. I'm not a woman so I never had heavy key rings, but I could pull the key out of the ignition with it running.......

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 7:11 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Toyomikey92: Having lived with a s/c ion(I'm not a plebian conformist), they most definitely aren't "crap" compared to the later turbo version.....just different. Our stage 2 package for the s/c cars bumped them up from 205hp to around 250hp(similar difference to the turbo car+GMPP) and instant torque for when driving in anger. Stock vs stock, there isn't much difference in the 1/4mi if the css t/c isn't using the launch control and "no lift upshift" functions. Been there, done that. The choice between the two honestly just depends if you want whistly turbo noises or a screaming supercharger. Im sorry i worded that a little too strongly. They are not crap but im my experiances the turboed version has a superior engine. In terms of speed ive been in the car with my cousin and raced a few sc cobalt with upgraded parts and alot more money invested into them it and the turbo outperforms them in terms of speed. But that does not mean the sc version may have its advantages in other areas so i take that back, they are all nice cars i just think the tc version is superior based on seeing the two perform first hand im the cobalt chassis. There is a difference in Engine performance. Not just the noises
Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/19/14 7:18 p.m.

As well as drivin a sc version stock compared to my cousins tc version with a tune and a couple hahn parts they both handle well without a doubt. The my cousins didnt have as much throttle response because he had the turbo maxed out i felt bad for it lol. but once it got going it was appropriate for the weight of the car. The tc is easier to make faster. I was wrong for saying the sc version is crap because the chassis is very capable and im sorry if i offended anyone im doing so. Are the transmissions different on the different versions?

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/19/14 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Toyomikey92:

AFAIK the 5sp is the same for both generations. The only difference was that the cobalts got heavy 18" wheels while the IRL got 16ish lb 17" wheels.

There is one other difference between the s/c and t/c. I have yet to see a stock s/c car put less than the claimed 205hp to the ground(Ill have to find the dynosheet, but mine put down something around 215whp stock) The stock t/c's normally belt out 230-240whp. So it isn't a big difference at all. Add 700 rpms to the lsj and laugh when it puts 230+ to the ground.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder HalfDork
3/20/14 2:35 a.m.

In reply to cobaltsslow:

Cool videos, stick around and post! We need some more GM lovers ;)

Toyomikey92
Toyomikey92 New Reader
3/20/14 12:51 p.m.
yamaha wrote: In reply to Toyomikey92: AFAIK the 5sp is the same for both generations. The only difference was that the cobalts got heavy 18" wheels while the IRL got 16ish lb 17" wheels. There is one other difference between the s/c and t/c. I have yet to see a stock s/c car put less than the claimed 205hp to the ground(Ill have to find the dynosheet, but mine put down something around 215whp stock) The stock t/c's normally belt out 230-240whp. So it isn't a big difference at all. Add 700 rpms to the lsj and laugh when it puts 230+ to the ground.

Well lets just agree that they are both nice cars wether sc or tc :)

Appleseed
Appleseed UltimaDork
3/20/14 11:50 p.m.

I think I found the Holy Grail in Plattville, WI.

2009 Cobalt SS sedan

chuckles
chuckles HalfDork
3/21/14 5:05 a.m.
Vigo wrote:
I don't think you could spin it with the handbrake
Challenge accepted. I've never been more confident...

Warning: Hyperbole may be employed for emphasis as a literary device.Sorry I forgot the emoticon.

That is a nice sedan.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
3/21/14 6:14 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
Swank Force One wrote:
Tom_Spangler wrote:
SlickDizzy wrote: Why not? Because this has basically the same engine and transmission, a better interior, and is half the price?
Half the price? That seems... implausible. Very few cars lose value like a recent domestic.
"Very few cars" includes an orphan/dead brand that everyone is afraid of being able to get parts for.
There's a good reason for people to be afraid. There's a lot of little E36 M3 that Saab used that none of hte GM cars did. Finding interior pieces and parts new is next to impossible. We've had quite a few roll through the used car lot and damn is it hard to find the parts and pieces to make them whole. I know. I'm usually the guy that has to try and find them.

Unless you have a local salvage yard handy. There must be 10 of those things at my local yard and more coming in all the time. The interiors always seem to be in really nice shape too so switches and trim pieces and so on should not be a problem. Granted they are not new pieces but they should work just fine.

jstein77
jstein77 SuperDork
3/21/14 7:32 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: I think I found the Holy Grail in Plattville, WI. 2009 Cobalt SS sedan

Yes, that looks like a well maintained stock example of the breed.

parker
parker Reader
3/21/14 4:11 p.m.

As an 09 SS owner I'll jump in. For me the selling point vs. the S/C was the Brembo brakes and LSD. I have a unicorn non-sunroof SS sedan with the LSD. It's pretty sweet Running PCA DE events is even more fun than it was in the Neon and I don't have to replace the calipers and rotors after every event anymore.

yamaha
yamaha UltimaDork
3/21/14 9:09 p.m.

In reply to parker:

I never had an issue with the s/c spec brakes......they were already fantastic on the IRL.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Birthdays
Our Preferred Partners
NsDOm3v4ceEGWf0km9L9ssMHY88Luqtmh3BsZbP2EdxXyh372PCsnuwkwROoHF2S