1 2 3 4
ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/25/23 10:32 p.m.

I am currently happy with just one car.  Its not the ideal car, but a hot hatch would meet all my needs just fine.

The point in my life when I had maximum motorsports participation was when I had one car.

Chris_V
Chris_V UberDork
9/26/23 9:40 a.m.

No kid that grew up with a Hot Wheels collection is ever going to be satisfied with just one car...

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/26/23 12:33 p.m.

One car?

You have got to be joking!

Forcing yourself to exist with just one car means that you have to compromise to the extreme.  The "one car" mentality is the reason so many people are buying the SUV's that everyone seems to hate.  An SUV does pretty much everything in a fairly mediocre manner.  An SUV does absolutely nothing in exemplary fashion.  An SUV is an automotive compromise.

If I own a truck, a sedan or two, a sports car, a motorcycle, AND an SUV, I've got it all covered!

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/26/23 12:36 p.m.

I can't even do it with 2. I mean, we have to have two so we can actually get to and from our jobs anyway, so one car is never an option unless we decide to stop working. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/26/23 3:05 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

There is something to be said for not wanting to do everything.  A CTR would be a fun single car to own.  It can do all things I would need.  Or a Golf R.  Maybe a Tesla Model3 Performance.  All of them can commute, run errands, carry mountain bikes, and accomplish amazing things on track/course.

buzzboy
buzzboy UltraDork
9/26/23 3:57 p.m.

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

With the correct SUV I could do it, easy. I think a small SUV like an XJ, Explorer or S10 Blazer, even a full size Blazer or Bronco. They can be made to handle pretty darn good while still having 4 doors and towing ability. In the right hands any car. A few years ago we drove twisty mountain roads next to a lifted LJ on 37s. A good pilot was all it took to make that rock crawler a fun car.

RyanGreener (Forum Supporter)
RyanGreener (Forum Supporter) Reader
9/26/23 4:09 p.m.

Its funny, revisiting this thread, theres only one thing I think can be a do-it-all vehicle: Porsche Cayenne

It can have fast straightline speed, decent handling for what it is, tow 7700 lbs, and its spacious. I've even seen some people modify them for off road usage (which will probably ruin the handling, but hey...)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/26/23 4:26 p.m.

When I lived in Atlanta, I was totally fine with one car: a new Sentra SE-R.

That gave me a reliable, comfortable, economical, easy-to-park daily driver with room for four that I could regularly autocross. 

The only things it didn’t offer were top-down motoring or the carga capacity of a wagon (no fold-down rear seat).

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/26/23 4:26 p.m.

The modern version might be a Civic Si. 

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
9/26/23 4:42 p.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

Or for a few grand less the Forte GT Manual. I wish we could get the hatch here. 

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
9/26/23 5:00 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

There is something to be said for not wanting to do everything.  A CTR would be a fun single car to own.  It can do all things I would need.  Or a Golf R.  Maybe a Tesla Model3 Performance.  All of them can commute, run errands, carry mountain bikes, and accomplish amazing things on track/course.

CTR?  Yellowbird?  A wonderful machine, but hardly the right tool for a trip to the home center to pick up lumber for a project.  I've said it before, every homeowner needs a truck.

Edit:  I do think the Cayenne Turbo might be as close as you could get to a single bullet, er... car solution)

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/26/23 5:48 p.m.
1988RedT2 said:
ProDarwin said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

CTR?  Yellowbird?  A wonderful machine, but hardly the right tool for a trip to the home center to pick up lumber for a project.  I've said it before, every homeowner needs a truck.

Civic Type R

Eh, lumber can be delivered easily enough.  In fact it makes me happier when it is :)

I've only owned a house for 10 years, but I have never owned a truck. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
9/26/23 5:53 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
1988RedT2 said:
ProDarwin said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

Civic Type R

Eh, lumber can be delivered easily enough.  In fact it makes me happier when it is :)

I've only owned a house for 10 years, but I have never owned a truck. 

This. A few months ago we redid about 100 linear feet of flower beds in the front year that were also 3' deep. 

Having the stones for the borders and 40+ bags of mulch delivered was worth the nominal fee for having it delivered. 

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/23 6:52 p.m.
ProDarwin said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

My mind thinks of something entirely different when CTR comes up.

I don't think it would hold a bike, but it would be a fun commuter and could definitely accomplish amazing things on track.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin MegaDork
9/26/23 8:26 p.m.
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
ProDarwin said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I don't think it would hold a bike, but it would be a fun commuter and could definitely accomplish amazing things on track.

I think you could figure out a way to put a decent hitch on it for a bike.

foxtrapper
foxtrapper UltimaDork
9/26/23 8:41 p.m.

I've had some that came close.  But then too, I will get bored with anything, eventually.

I have learned that too many takes away a lot of the enjoyment.  

AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter)
AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
9/26/23 8:51 p.m.
ProDarwin said:
Pete. (l33t FS) said:
ProDarwin said:

In reply to 1988RedT2 :

I think you could figure out a way to put a decent hitch on it for a bike.

Seasucker bike racks.  Not that I have been shopping C4s and thinking about how to include my bike hobby.....

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/26/23 9:31 p.m.

In reply to AnthonyGS (Forum Supporter) :

I am suddenly interested.  How do those stay on the car at speed?

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZPyx6x7AufwEgj2lse22rUvJNwnslerumKORhS8IwjGG7BJSfR6CZMSkIBnFbRfF