1 2
Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
3/30/15 3:03 p.m.

I'm saving up for a new toy. Always wanted an AW11. But the MRS is starting to get in my price range, and the idea of a 2ZZ swapped one is really nice.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
3/30/15 3:05 p.m.

They are great fun to drive. If you can deal with the extremely limited cargo space, and you like the looks--- go for it!

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
3/30/15 3:07 p.m.

Mrs??
They start out fun to drive but quickly you realize this is the only one you get to drive.

Duke
Duke MegaDork
3/30/15 3:16 p.m.
Joe Gearin wrote: They are great fun to drive. If you can deal with the extremely limited cargo space, and you like the looks--- go for it!

Yeah, I have a buddy with a well-prepped STR MR-S. It is a blast to drive, light, enough power, and telepathic steering. I would take one over an AW11 if you can deal with the soft top and lack of junk room.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/30/15 3:22 p.m.

Drive one. I love them. So much.

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
3/30/15 3:25 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Mrs?? They start out fun to drive but quickly you realize this is the only one you get to drive.

Lol!! I'm already married :)

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
3/30/15 3:29 p.m.
Duke wrote:
Joe Gearin wrote: They are great fun to drive. If you can deal with the extremely limited cargo space, and you like the looks--- go for it!
Yeah, I have a buddy with a well-prepped STR MR-S. It is a blast to drive, light, enough power, and telepathic steering. I would take one over an AW11 if you can deal with the soft top and lack of junk room.

Steering input and turn in, are the things I seem to enjoy the most in a car. I have a Matrix for cargo needs.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
3/30/15 3:33 p.m.

I got to ride in a 2zz swapped car at a recent autocross. It was as good as you hope it's going to be.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/15 3:35 p.m.

I saw a pair of them on my commute home last Friday, which matches as many as I had seen in the past year.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
3/30/15 4:05 p.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: Mrs?? They start out fun to drive but quickly you realize this is the only one you get to drive.

Well, you could drive more than one, but the prospect of horrendous expense looms in trying to run them both at the same time, not to mention the potential for physical breakage when the owner of the other Mrs finds out you've been driving it.

OldGray320i
OldGray320i Reader
3/30/15 4:11 p.m.

I should note I actually looked at one before I got the miotter.

My sense is the chassis is stiffer, and I think they rotate through a corner better, but the responses didn't feel as "lively" as the Miata. Miata felt a little more "sure footed" to me once you're set in a corner, as well. Really neat little car though.

And they have NO cargo space. Like, if you and the Mrs took the MRS, and on the way home you realized you needed groceries, you could probably pick up a gallon of milk and that's about it.

mr2peak
mr2peak GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/30/15 4:17 p.m.

That's because the trunk space should be reserved for turbo parts and/or 2gr-fe conversion

NOHOME
NOHOME UltraDork
3/30/15 4:18 p.m.
Gunslinger wrote: I'm saving up for a new toy. Always wanted an AW11. But the MRS is starting to get in my price range, and the idea of a 2ZZ swapped one is really nice.

What be an MRS? The way you describe it, this sound like a wife-swapping project!?

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
3/30/15 4:33 p.m.
NOHOME wrote:
Gunslinger wrote: I'm saving up for a new toy. Always wanted an AW11. But the MRS is starting to get in my price range, and the idea of a 2ZZ swapped one is really nice.
What be an MRS? The way you describe it, this sound like a wife-swapping project!?

MR2 Spyder.

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
3/30/15 5:42 p.m.
mr2peak wrote: That's because the trunk space should be reserved for turbo parts and/or 2gr-fe conversion

I'm thinking 2ZZ than rotex later.

MCarp22
MCarp22 HalfDork
3/30/15 7:21 p.m.

Don't you more or less have to go all-in if you want trackday legal rollover protection on the MR spyder?

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
3/30/15 8:22 p.m.
MCarp22 wrote: Don't you more or less have to go all-in if you want trackday legal rollover protection on the MR spyder?

Hard dog has a true roll bar. Top still works, the plan would be that braces and suspension first.

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
3/30/15 8:27 p.m.

In reply to Gunslinger:

It sounds like it is settled then. Please create a build log here once you get her home.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/30/15 8:36 p.m.

I've had an NA Miata and I drove a friends MRS at autocross. It's a lot of fun. Very much like the Miata in terms of handling and steering feel. Only took one run in it, but it's good.

Will
Will SuperDork
3/30/15 9:16 p.m.

How does storage space in the Spyder compare with an SW20?

singleslammer
singleslammer UltraDork
3/30/15 10:35 p.m.

Sw20 has much more, but the chassis feels huge in comparison. I had a 93 for 2 years and a 2001 for 2 years. LOVED the Spyder in almost every way over the sw20. T tops suck. The Spyder is several hundred pounds lighter and has a revier motor. Never drove a turbo Sw20.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/30/15 10:54 p.m.
Gunslinger wrote:
mr2peak wrote: That's because the trunk space should be reserved for turbo parts and/or 2gr-fe conversion
I'm thinking 2ZZ than rotex later.

Have you driven a 2zz mr-s yet? A Rotrex 2zz MR-S will be obscene. Not something to dive into for your first foray into MR.

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
3/31/15 12:56 p.m.

Lol, I have a Matrix with a 2zz. I had a x /19 so familiar with mid engines.

Plan would be,-tiers,suspension, braces, learn car.

swap- learn car tune out cam change being drastic

Rotex later if I want more, depends on what I can get out of a good tune, 190 to the wheels is pretty good. Really looking for 10:1 weigh to power and great handling. Probably a 3 year plan, but thanks for the concern.

Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
3/31/15 1:00 p.m.

Gotcha.

10lbs/hp ratio would be pretty easy to do on a 2zz MR-S without forced induction, honestly.

Gunslinger
Gunslinger New Reader
3/31/15 1:17 p.m.
Swank Force One wrote: Gotcha. 10lbs/hp ratio would be pretty easy to do on a 2zz MR-S without forced induction, honestly.

Good to hear! I just started toying with the matrix to learn the engine. If my goals are achieved without a low boost setup reliably than I'm all for it.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4l6BeZ0gTHmF5FMPF6isP6BH5Q4kCbCrbayhc7ZVfHm6t9fM9EiNIAAXHFFcDqVN