J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
5/2/23 4:27 p.m.
feature_image

Eric Fleming used a 2006 Chevrolet Corvette Z06 en route to win the Large 200tw Tire class during Round 1 of the NATA Championship. While his is hardly stock, Eric feels the C6 offers the perfect starting point to creating a winning track car.

[First round of the NATA Championship results]

“You cannot get a better platform out of the gate for …

Read the rest of the story

trumant
trumant GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/2/23 9:00 p.m.

Seems like a missed opportunity here to discuss the investment required to prepare a base car at 15-40k into a reasonably competitive time trial car.

The question of value posed in the headline isn't really answered.

CrashDummy
CrashDummy Reader
5/3/23 8:10 a.m.

Where can one find a decent C6 Corvette for $15k? I did an autotrader search and the cheapest C6s near me started at right around $30K. 

J.A. Ackley
5/3/23 9:28 a.m.
J.A. Ackley
5/3/23 9:30 a.m.

In reply to trumant :

Not disagreeing - there's a bunch this racer did to his C6. His point is that you can start with quite a bit of performance for the dollar spent - and it provides a good starting point to developing a car over time.

triumph7
triumph7 HalfDork
5/3/23 9:42 a.m.

In reply to CrashDummy :

For cheap focus on the 2005-2007 cars with the LS2 engine and do your shopping over the winter months.  I started looking in February and missed a couple good ones.  Now similar cars are going $3K to $10K higher.

ClearWaterMS
ClearWaterMS Reader
5/3/23 11:08 a.m.
CrashDummy said:

Where can one find a decent C6 Corvette for $15k? I did an autotrader search and the cheapest C6s near me started at right around $30K. 

one benefit of the C6 platform is that I paid $29k for mine years ago and think it's still worth within 2 or 3k of that now (08 LS3 stick shift car with only 50k miles)

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
5/3/23 11:41 a.m.

If the goal is to just drive it stock, then the buy-in price is irrelevant. If it holds to low or zero depreciation, then it is a great performance  car buy. Chances are you will get bored with it in a few years and you can sell it to recoup most if not all of your money. Just buy a good one and don't wreck it.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) Dork
5/3/23 11:48 a.m.

Shout out to my friend Josh who has a YouTube channel called the Racing Mind where he's converting a C6 Z06 into a track day/time trial car that can compete with GT3 911's.  The content is very well done.  He's pretty thorough about describing all the landmines that he's walked over along the way; it's a refreshing approach for those of us who have taken on project cars like this.

Last time I talked to Josh at AMP, I also ran into @maschinenbau and talked cars.  It was a fun afternoon.

https://www.youtube.com/@JoshVanVeld

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
5/3/23 1:17 p.m.

Don't care, too ugly.  C6's with the glassed in headlights and copper paint are a specific kind of dated looking awful.  C5s still look the business and C7s are gorgeous.  

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
UCxMkpNiUS6k3pUzpQpr0CMrwi9DzFvq2adhCVCdsjKp7EvF168t0m2pDbRRIHdb