Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/25/12 4:37 p.m.

97 318i leaky clutch slave. Picked up a new one from pelican parts, started working on it this afternoon expecting a 2 hour job tops. Things were going well until I went to install the new one and realized the top mounting stud had disappeared. It didn't break off because I can stick a screw driver pretty deep in the hole where it once was. The only thing I can conclude it that it got sucked in somehow. I have two nuts, so I know there was a stud, but honestly I'm stumped. I always knew the day would come where I hang my head in shame and have a car towed out of the garage.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/25/12 5:08 p.m.

Tap the hole and use a bolt?

But yeah... it would be good to know where the stud went. Could it be sitting in the bottom of the bell housing? My E36 knowledge is rusty and I only have an E30 Bentley for reference.

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
8/25/12 6:00 p.m.

Is there a drain hole, or better yet a removable tin shield at the bottom of the bell housing? If it isn't there, you lost it in a crack in the floor or something, just replace it and move on with life.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/25/12 6:14 p.m.

I'd say there's a 50/50 chance its either in the bellhousing or hit the floor and bounced in the same crack that swallows my 10mm sockets. Roll the dice on this one? What happens if the bolts in the bellhousing? I feel like a loose bolt in the bellhousing could cause problems...

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/25/12 7:31 p.m.

Here is what I'd do before dropping that trans...

Take a 1" step drill and make a hole in the bottom of the aluminum bellhousing - be careful not to hit the flywheel/clutch - so be back about 2.5-3" from the edge where it meets the motor.

Then, stick a dental mirror up in there, fish a wire around, blow compressed air thru the slave hole... when you are done/satisfied, put a rubber plug in the hole.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/27/12 4:03 p.m.

I fished around with a telescoping magnet for about an hour that night and was lucky enough to retrieve the stud. Reinstalled the stud, put the slave cylinder in and thought life was great. Jumped in the drivers seat, pressed the clutch in and when the clutch hit the floor I heard a loud 'POP' followed by the sound of gushing fluid. Climbed back under the car to find hydraulic fluid dripping out of the bellhousing. Pulled the clutch slave back out and the piston rod was gone - grenaded itself right into the bellhousing. Stuck the telescoping magnet back but wasn't quite as lucky the second time around. I think my E36 decided the trans was being dropped whether I liked it or not. I've come to terms with it so I'm wondering how to maximize the situation. I think clutch, throwout bearing and pilot bearing are a given. Rear main seal? Anything else that makes sense to do while I'm in there? For reference it's a 97 318i with 103k on the ODO. Up until the clutch slave started leaking the drivetrain was dry as a bone externally.

Giant Purple Snorklewacker
Giant Purple Snorklewacker MegaDork
8/27/12 4:17 p.m.

Notes for future slave installation - make sure the rod is secure in the slave and that with about half an inch to go - you feel the resistance of the clutch fork pressing back as you push it in. No resistance means it probably sagged at an angle and went under the fork. When you depressed the clutch- pop - out came the piston. The slave itself is probably fine unless you tore the boot. Often you can just push it back in, put the piston back and use it. Trust me - you are not the first person to make this mistake. I bet 50% of all 1st time E36 clutch jobs end this way.

I'd drill the hole in the bell housing I mentioned above. It takes a lot less time than the 3hrs you will spend doing it the hard way.

Stargazer
Stargazer HalfDork
8/27/12 4:41 p.m.

I started googling "e36 clutch slave exploded in bellhousing" and I was surprised to see that it's actually pretty common. I've done clutch slave jobs on other cars before so I didn't think I needed to read the online DIY. I'll give your suggestion a shot, maybe I'll pick up one of those snake cameras as well.

Secretariata
Secretariata GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/27/12 8:09 p.m.

Seems like GPS has a lot of experience with E36 M3 E36 M3!

Prolly worth trying his idea.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
mgEhbJvZgNwMlJg4kFrCXSZYDY3uAuKn9BWYfMhMn86e6ddM5Wy6kiKFmqcZqOH6