vwcorvette (Forum Supporter)
vwcorvette (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/16/23 1:12 p.m.

So I am thinking of replacing the Mazda 2 with something that can handle four dogs on rare occasions, is different, can be used year round, and my wife can drive (she's manual averse). I found this 1997 Daihatsu local to me. He wants $12500 for it, but I've already talked him down to $11000. He misunderstood the km to m conversion. He posted it as 14,600 miles when it's actually 146000. Various service stickers on the rig confirm 6 figure km readings over 200000 km. The thing is SUPER clean. I drove it this morning. Turbo whistle and all. He was not trying to pull a fast one on anyone. I told him to reconfirm the mileage and we could talk.

Here's the ad. Not the best pics, but it's really nice in person. Just a lot of miles (unless you consider the fact it's over 25 years old).

1997 Daihatsu Artai Classic AWD turbo

What do you all think? A lot of money for an older vehicle.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/16/23 6:45 p.m.

Ad is in a private group so we cant see it.

I own a 92 Atrai.  2wd non-turbo 5 speed, but only 35000 miles and really clean.   Kei vehicles do not typically have very high miles

Those kms are concerning, you need to see proof of timing belt changes and other routine maintenance.   The auto is another area of concern, you practically need the turbo to make up for the driveline losses between an auto and 4wd powered by 660cc.  The autos also aren't really known to be robust but again if its been maintained it could be good.

What's your use case?  These things pretty much top out at 60-65 mph on a good day so if you have a commute with highways you may want to think twice.

Final note, the northeast states have been on the forefront of outlawing kei vehicles or restricting them as low speed or offroad use only (glorified golf cart status)   Be darn certain you can register it before buying.   Some states revoked registrations on them while others allow the current owners to remain registered but the next buyer could be screwed.  I've heard mixed input on VT in particular so I can't say for sure what their status is.

8/16/23 7:47 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Best I can do is a screen shot. The guy has owned it only a year. He picked it up in Florida and brought it to Vermont. I'm guessing no paperwork regarding maintenance as he didn't seem to know much about these vehicles. I think I knew more than him. It would be a daily driver, never over 50 mph where I live and work, haul the dogs to the vet, make a run to Lowes, etc. 

Are parts hard to come buy for these?

I get the whole auto sapping power issue, but I need the wife to be able to drive whatever I get so auto it is.

JThw8
JThw8 UltimaDork
8/16/23 9:44 p.m.

Parts are available, there's a few stateside suppliers who keep common things in stock and can order other things as needed.  But if you break down and are hoping to be back on the road in a day or two that's probably not happening.  Mechanically most parts are shared with the Daihatsu HiJet truck so you should be ok there.  Mine has the full glass roof (3 pop up glass panels) so that's my big fear, break one of those and its pretty much game over, they are near impossible to get.

Without proof of timing belt change that would be number 1 on the list.

There are a few good groups with lots of knowledge and resources on FB and a few really bad ones which were recently purchased by a shady guy who has turned them into his own area to market his imports which are of questionable quality.

8/16/23 10:54 p.m.

In reply to JThw8 :

Thanks for the info. I dont think he'll go any lower so I'm probably out of the game,

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
B2F1tl1UFZqqfDrWrzUpDQeJs1sEhyIpVnLplUDKLYnIYNt0C3Txm13S9QJw4rHc