1 2 3
evildky
evildky SuperDork
4/8/15 12:52 p.m.

Also does $20 savings include the cost of the sandwich?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
4/8/15 1:18 p.m.

Pretty sure that container originally held some kind of pastry, not a sandwich. That's totally different. Either way, it doesn't count in the budget because I didn't get to eat it.

David S. Wallens
4/8/15 4:20 p.m.

I'm home. The correct answer is Publix carrot cake. And I didn't get a piece.

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/8/15 7:50 p.m.

Left the crank to my LT1 in the garage for far too long. Rust everywhere. Got 4 gallons, large Rubbermaid tub, filled it about two inches and placed the crank in. Covered it in Evapo-rust soaked blue shop towels. Two nights and a few rotations and it looked like new. Machinist was impressed. Only needed turning .010 inch on the crank journals. Awesome stuff. Just don't read about what the ingredients were first used for.

drummerfromdefleopard
drummerfromdefleopard GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
4/9/15 7:54 a.m.

In reply to vwcorvette:

thank you for that write up, I have a head assembly and crank that I'll treat with it before sending off to my machinist and engine builder

Sine_Qua_Non
Sine_Qua_Non Dork
4/9/15 7:57 a.m.
vwcorvette wrote: Awesome stuff. Just don't read about what the ingredients were first used for.

Which is?

evildky
evildky SuperDork
4/10/15 10:41 a.m.
David S. Wallens wrote: I'm home. The correct answer is Publix carrot cake. And I didn't get a piece.

And how is that fair? I'd file a protest.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Reader
4/11/15 8:01 a.m.

I've had great experience with this stuff also. For soaking small parts, small plastic containers with a lid - work great also - such has old cool whip containers, greek yogurt containers, plastic coffee cans, etc

Sanchinguy
Sanchinguy New Reader
4/12/15 6:05 a.m.

I'm sorry to say that you've successfully ruined the long term future value of those crank arms. Much like refinishing an 18th century Connecticut highboy chest, you've removed the oh-so-important patina that would have demonstrated their true vintage. evapo-patina?

Seriously, though, the stuff is magic...

dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
4/12/15 9:51 a.m.

With the crank arms clean I assume you put a heavy coat of past wax on them? Or clear coat maybe?

David S. Wallens
4/12/15 12:16 p.m.
Sanchinguy wrote: I'm sorry to say that you've successfully ruined the long term future value of those crank arms. Much like refinishing an 18th century Connecticut highboy chest, you've removed the oh-so-important patina that would have demonstrated their true vintage. evapo-patina? Seriously, though, the stuff is magic...

Yes, BMX patina. I do have a bike that still wears its 1979 patina. That one isn't being cleaned up.

David S. Wallens
4/12/15 12:17 p.m.
dean1484 wrote: With the crank arms clean I assume you put a heavy coat of past wax on them? Or clear coat maybe?

Good question. I'll wax them and see if that does it.

David S. Wallens
10/30/15 10:14 a.m.

Evapo-Rust update: The waxed cranks haven't rusted again. The Evapo-Rust removed the black coating from the hardware, so I painted it all black and so far all is well.

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/15 10:24 a.m.

Now I want to find something rusty to clean up with this stuff.

erohslc
erohslc Dork
10/30/15 4:13 p.m.

How many gallons to immerse a complete Spitfire ...
Will also need a freaking HUGE Publix Carrot Cake container ...

Harvey
Harvey GRM+ Memberand Dork
10/30/15 5:28 p.m.
erohslc wrote: How many gallons to immerse a complete Spitfire ... Will also need a freaking HUGE Publix Carrot Cake container ...

You'll just come back and find an empty container.

DeadSkunk
DeadSkunk UltraDork
10/30/15 5:47 p.m.

In reply to erohslc:
Do it by electrolysis . All you need is an above ground pool and a welder. I saw a thread someplace where a guy did his trailer that way.

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/30/15 5:55 p.m.

Cool Floval Flyer! A So Cal Flyer is my main transportation. Well for now because I just put together a Fairdale TAJ.

Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 Reader
10/30/15 5:58 p.m.

Warning not for use on datsuns and MG's. The wind will carry away the entire structure.

David S. Wallens
10/30/15 6:05 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote: Cool Floval Flyer! A So Cal Flyer is my main transportation. Well for now because I just put together a Fairdale TAJ.

Thanks--and cool on the So Cal Flyer. I recently built up a 22-inch S&M, so that has become my new go-to bike. I love it.

chandlerGTi
chandlerGTi UltraDork
10/30/15 7:44 p.m.

I used this stuff on all the bracketry from my 91 Dodge W150, it was amazing how well it worked. Stuff I was going to throw away and buy new came out like new.

Flight Service
Flight Service MegaDork
10/30/15 7:46 p.m.

photo poo.png

David S. Wallens
10/30/15 8:05 p.m.

I met the owner of Evapo-Rust at the Mitty, and he explained how the product worked. He made it sound easy. I just heard "science, chemistry, etc."

Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock UltimaDork
10/30/15 8:19 p.m.
Coldsnap wrote: Cool Floval Flyer! A So Cal Flyer is my main transportation. Well for now because I just put together a Fairdale TAJ.

Fairdale TAJ

Coldsnap
Coldsnap HalfDork
10/30/15 8:24 p.m.
Nick (Not-Stig) Comstock wrote:
Fairdale TAJ

Just got back from riding it to the gym. Such an awesome cruiser. Glad I gave 26" a shot again, after not really liking the OM Flyer that much. I put my So Cal Flyer up for sale after getting home, heh. Dunno, might keep it. It might be good if someone else wnats to cruise.

http://raleigh.craigslist.org/bik/5254809925.html

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
d2m8ubZclGKEduFbsoJEvTEfMZdteyJc4cyr8D4GfFLqRADK7cnXlwMf4E3Pe5Jw