1 2 3 4 5
Tyler H
Tyler H GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/1/17 2:01 p.m.
Keith Tanner wrote:
Trackmouse wrote:
racerdave600 wrote: Easy! The correct answer is 240Z.
He said "non unicorn". Finding a true 240z is hard. Especially with the vertical defrost lines on the hatch glass. Most everything out there is 260,280z, and zx....
I'm thinking the unicorn status applies to when sold new. Yes, old cars can be hard to find in good shape. If we were including unicorns, I've got a thing for the Pulsar Sportback for being the most 80's production car...in the world. They must have been a sales disaster, I've never actually seen one.

The Sportbak was an optional extra hatch for the Pulsar NX. The standard notchback style hatch was removable for open-air touring. Of all of the ttop cars I've owned, the Pulsar gets the nod for best packaging and execution. Tops never leaked, they're not glass, they stored under a very sturdy plastic trunk floor in a manner that wouldn't let them get scratched or dented.

Despite having a lackluster engine in retrospect, the Pulsar NX was a pretty well-executed car. I really enjoyed mine.

Regarding favorite non-unicorn cars, I'm going with the 91-95 (SW20) Toyota MR2s. Extreme quality and durability for the period.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
5/1/17 2:02 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner:

I saw a Pulsar sport back once just a few years ago. Completely lost my E36 M3. My wife was not amused by my enthusiasm.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/17 2:10 p.m.

There's a reason I specified Sportback instead of just "Pulsar NX"

My wife wouldn't understand it either. She calls my CRX "your weird little hatchback thing".

Tony Sestito
Tony Sestito UberDork
5/1/17 2:13 p.m.

One of my favorites, the 1989-1994 Nissan Maxima SE:

I had a 1989 SE. It was a ton of fun. It had a similar 3.0 SOHC V6 to the one in the 300ZX, handled great, was easy to wrench on, and was entertaining to drive. The 1992-94 cars got a DOHC V6 that made 30-40 more hp. They have all but disappeared in the Northeast.

grover
grover GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/1/17 2:16 p.m.

Hated cleaning the wheels, but this thing was with me for 200k miles in College and beyond

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/1/17 2:16 p.m.

Gotta mention this...it changed the luxury car industry.

Still a favorite of mine...

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/17 2:23 p.m.

I always loved my GSR

The Celica All-trac just fit me like a glove. I enjoyed the 2 I drove.

On the Semi-unicorn now status:

I loved my Maxima when it was running right as well. Had the 94 with the VTC and the VLSD. It just was always having little issues.

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/17 2:28 p.m.

1970-1977 Celica

Samurai tin top

Tercel 4wd wagon

maschinenbau
maschinenbau GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/1/17 2:30 p.m.

No way. Those things have achieved unicorn status in any decent condition over the last few years.

ae86andkp61
ae86andkp61 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/1/17 2:41 p.m.

For me it has to be the AE86 rear-drive Corolla coupe:

It's the car I can't seem to sell, and when I have sold, I buy another! They are a truly wonderful driver's car, user-friendly and easy to drive briskly, but the challenge of trying to extract 100% out of the car can keep you coming back for years.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/1/17 3:10 p.m.

I also have a deep love for Preludes, so I bought one:

The Type SH's (different front suspension, active differential, some other odds and ends) are available more than one would think given their supposedly low production numbers (~15,000 at most for complete production run). Good luck finding an unmolested one, though.

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 UltimaDork
5/1/17 3:12 p.m.

Protege5. Love those things. Especially with a 5 speed.

Or the mazdaspeed protege. Fantastic little car.

NickD
NickD SuperDork
5/1/17 3:14 p.m.

Early Miata is the obvious choice for me (Gratuitous pic of my own car)

I also have a thing for Toyota Cressidas

And EF Civics, particularly the wagons (which may be counted as a unicorn due to their 5% take rate)

The BB6 Prelude is also criminally underrated

The blobeye WRX is one of my dream cars

And I also have an irrational affection for EA82 Subarus that no one will understand

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/1/17 3:22 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote:
No way. Those things have achieved unicorn status in any decent condition over the last few years.

you can find them in various conditions. Not too hard to be honest.

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/1/17 3:25 p.m.

In reply to BA5:

Yeah I can find them here and there in drivable shape for around $5k.

racerdave600
racerdave600 SuperDork
5/1/17 3:35 p.m.
maschinenbau wrote:

You can find them much easier than most of the cars in this thread. Go find a Mitsu Mirage Turbo that someone listed for instance? I can find at least 10 240Zs within an hour or two from where I live, ranging from needing total resto, to show field ready.

Crackers
Crackers Reader
5/1/17 3:42 p.m.

+1. This is on my short list for "must have" cars.

I was in the Nissan dealer this morning and they're selling retro Datsun shirts. If they hadn't wanted $90 for 4qts gear oil, I would have bought one.

Trackmouse
Trackmouse SuperDork
5/1/17 3:52 p.m.

I have seen the sport wagon nx's all over Portland. It's weird. And Portland is too, which is why I think they reside here.

CobraSpdRH
CobraSpdRH Reader
5/1/17 3:53 p.m.

All my old Hondas: Prelude (final gen), Integra, CL Type-S (6 speed).

I've also found that every time I sell a third gen 4Runner I end up buying another one shortly thereafter (all Sport trims).

mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
5/1/17 3:57 p.m.

You.mean I can only pick one?

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/1/17 3:58 p.m.
The0retical wrote: Still looks good after all these years.

Agreed.

Miatas too, of course. :)

patgizz
patgizz GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
5/1/17 4:10 p.m.

This and bugeye wrx for me.

nutherjrfan
nutherjrfan Dork
5/1/17 6:02 p.m.

Mid-90s Nissan 200sx. But I'm biased because I have two. SE and SE-R. Seems like there are still plenty out there. Also liked my '85 200sx 4cyl, but I don't see as many anymore not even for sale although I don't look too hard outside of CL.

BoxheadTim
BoxheadTim GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
5/1/17 6:20 p.m.

darkbuddha
darkbuddha HalfDork
5/1/17 7:39 p.m.

Has this thread really made it this far without someone mentioning a Nissan S13? That wouldn't be my choice, but I fully expected it to be somebody's.

1 2 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
78DJnGi868SMthahedFtLtjZ4afzKvBOzykbqFuo1mlPEPb0oE7U7ZNHkIiU19QN