1 ... 3 4 5
rickjames8
rickjames8
5/3/17 10:10 p.m.

Wow - it's like you guys created this thread to welcome me to the forum! If there was any class of car that defines me as a car guy, it's 80's and early 90's Japanese imports. Something about these cars is just simply amazing.

I'm particularly fond of any pre-89 Celica, or any Z car (other than the Z31). I currently have a little del Sol that's pretty fun as well.

However, one of my all time fav's hasn't been mentioned yet. The first gen 4Runner with removable roof and the indestructible 22RE. I had one of these long ago and miss it enough that I'll scan the ads now and then hoping I find one that ticks all the right boxes. My old one was kitted out for an around-the-world trip: dual gas tanks, upgraded suspension, roof racks, bed in the back and much more. I lived in the back and traveled in it for 3 months when it was stolen in LA before ever even leaving the US. All good though, the journey carried on via bus, bike, trains, planes, thumbs, and the occasional donkey.

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/3/17 11:23 p.m.

Welcome Rick James

Klayfish
Klayfish PowerDork
5/4/17 6:14 a.m.

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand New Reader
5/4/17 9:18 a.m.
sesto elemento wrote:

This makes me weak in the knees. Maybe I'll have to dig one of those up. I have a deep and abiding love for minivans, especially the newer japanese ones. My personal favorite is the second gen Honda Odyssey, which I truly believe is objectively one of the finest vehicles to ever put tire to road. Incredibly versatile and useful, strong engine (bordering on fast), incredible ride and handling, and I think they're pretty sleek looking.

As much as I love the one we get, I do wish we got the 'true' odyssey here in the US. I would have one of those in a heartbeat.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
5/4/17 11:48 a.m.
yupididit wrote:
Grizz wrote: The old mirage with the twin stick setup in them. My mom had one and said it was a hoot to drive, even more so when you got used to switching in between power and economy like some halfassed 8 speed transmission.
Ah the Plymouth colt gts turbo is what pictured. The GTS Turbo colt/mirage was a 1.6 4g32t 4 cyl fwd turbo with a 8 speed twin stick (km110). Super light and stupid quick and fun. In 2011, I tried to buy that actual car in the picture. He's in western part of Virginia and wanted 4.5k for that car and a parts car. Then, I tried to buy a mint pocket rocket special edition in northern Virginia. Black and gold. He sent it to puerto rico to a mitsubishi collector. That was in 2013. I know a guy on Colorado with about 5. And a guy name Stefan in Virginia autocross them. There's YouTube vids of him 3 wheeling ite around cones. There's a none turbo version but they aren't as cool. They are indeed unicorns! This one is for sale in my city. Already text the seller.

I currently own a twin-stick non-turbo Champ that I'd sell to a forum member for nearly nothing. PM me if you are interested--- I seriously want this little gem to go to a good home, and I have no use for it. Yes, this is my car....and yes....you can afford it! (trust me!)

yupididit
yupididit GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/4/17 12:00 p.m.

Too bad you're in Florida!

oldeskewltoy
oldeskewltoy UltraDork
5/4/17 1:38 p.m.
KyAllroad wrote: I have a soft spot in my automotive heart for my first car. This exact model and color. Purchased in 1986 and was about worn out by then so I can't imagine there are more than two left in the world in anything like original condition.

Not quite "original" condition.... maybe a bit better??

84FSP
84FSP Dork
5/5/17 7:26 p.m.
BA5 wrote:
sesto elemento wrote:
I tried to buy the bbs off one of these last time I was in Jahoor Baru Malaysia. Unsure how I would have checked them as baggage but it was all for naught as the guy wouldn't sell.
Doubleoh9
Doubleoh9 New Reader
5/6/17 8:21 a.m.

I have always had love for the 2nd gen legacy outback

Or the 4th gen legacy wagon (shameless plug of my own car)

Or the svx

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/6/17 10:20 a.m.

In reply to Doubleoh9:

You know there is an SVX for sale in the Challenge classifieds?

Ian F
Ian F MegaDork
5/6/17 11:49 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:
Ian F wrote: I would love to find another '82 GL 4WD wagon like I had in high school:
That's a dead ringer for the first car I ever bought with my own money. Mine was an '81 2WD, but looked identical and was the same color...well, it was when it as new, but the sun had faded it to orange-ish. Bought it in 1992 for the princely some of $300 from a shady mom and pop lot in a bad part of Philadelphia. Drove it for a year until the head gasket gave up...literally the day after I got its' replacement.

Mine was essentially exactly like the one pictured, just maroon instead of red. Dual range 4WD, 4 spd manual. Even had the white wagon wheels (with 175/70-13 BFG T/A Radials - I so wish BFG would reissue those). I loved that car. It was just a late model used car when I bought it in 1988 and paid $2200 for it from a local Subaru/VW dealer (same one I bought my '03 TDI from 15 years later).

If I am ever in a situation where I can actually "collect" cars in a serious way (having a proper space to store and drive them without going through musical car contortions), one of these will be on the short list of cars I spend too much money buying. Although what I really want is an '84 GL10 with a 5 spd and A/C.

oldtin
oldtin PowerDork
5/6/17 1:35 p.m.

oddly attracted to these little guys,

The0retical
The0retical SuperDork
5/6/17 8:19 p.m.

In reply to Kreb:

I want a REPU in the worst way. I have to start/finish my other NLA rotary unicorn project first though.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
5/8/17 7:59 a.m.
Rumnhammer wrote:
edizzle89 wrote: my 2 favorites are the z32 300zx and the 3000gt vr4. Both awesome looking cars with twin turbo goodness.
There are a lot of people that seem to still lust for the vr4, see prior post for fair warning...! In addition to it being a rolling POS, the "twin turbo goodness" in stock form was kind of lame, as it only made 300hp with almost 5k lbs to haul around. Any of the ones making any decent power usually replaced the twin turbos with a single, even then it was limited space as the engine compartment was packed with gee wiz crap just waiting to break.....the stock turbos were the tiniest ones I've ever seen too, they were smaller then my testicles, and I've seen bigger ones on various K-cars like the honda city. Because they were so small they ran out of steam and the engine compartment was so crowded that you couldn't readily upgrade to larger twin set ups. If I remember correctly this also had two tiny intercoolers that heatsoaked at the drop of a hat as well.

but atleast it will look good while broken in your driveway

BA5
BA5 GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/10/17 1:02 p.m.

This probably is a unicorn, but since the SVX came up:

My college-student brother has one of these in terrible (almost unsalvageable) condition. But see how beautiful it could be?

There's virtually nothing normal about these cars.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
5/10/17 1:18 p.m.
FlightService wrote: This is mine. I still think that thing looks great after 20 years.

I've always loved the Prelude, especially that generation. One day I want a small collection of cars, and a Prelude is on the list.

Bobzilla
Bobzilla MegaDork
5/10/17 1:29 p.m.

1995 Legend Coupe 6-spd

FlightService
FlightService MegaDork
5/10/17 1:40 p.m.
BA5 wrote: This probably is a unicorn, but since the SVX came up: My college-student brother has one of these in terrible (almost unsalvageable) condition. But see how beautiful it could be? There's virtually nothing normal about these cars.

I wouldn't put the SVX or the XT in the unicorn camp. Both were readily available in the day, they just didn't sell.

Rodan
Rodan Reader
5/10/17 2:41 p.m.
oldtin wrote: oddly attracted to these little guys,

I love these Corona coupes!

My first car was a '72 Corona 4dr that I bought for $200. They're really not that great, but there's a lot of nostalgia involved!

photo Corona.jpg

NickD
NickD SuperDork
5/10/17 3:58 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: 1995 Legend Coupe 6-spd

Nice choice. I know a guy who has one with the 3.5L C35 out of a RL in it with a big honkin' turbo, making ~570hp. Honda Tuning Magazine was planning a feature but they went defunct before it happened.

I had the more conventional 1st-gen Legend with a 5-speed and what a cool car that was. Even at 20+ years old, you could feel why these cars were such a bombshell when they were new

Sadly, it turned up in the local junkyard recently

1 ... 3 4 5

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
1xVQLfVAMlLs3rXwZ1SXalWIr53e0b8qYdulfDafAKqoRhUAWCK0qYcb9OaKsOQ5