1 2
EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/2/12 10:17 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: "Pizza pie" is guaranteed to send me into an apoplectic frothing at the mouth rage.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ok8x2mX4qac

Flight Service
Flight Service UltraDork
11/2/12 10:42 p.m.
JoeyM wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
irish44j wrote: my least favorite reduntant phrases: "foreign imported cars"
So what would a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy, Mercedes Benz ML, BMW X5 and VW Jetta be?
Those are "American assembled, partially from imported parts"

Fixed that for you.

for the record: Assembled in Ohio, Indiana, Indiana (same plant as Camry), Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee.

and I would call the Mondeo an Imported Domestic.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/2/12 10:46 p.m.

I figured that was where you were going, but didn't want to assume. I knew about the first two, though.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/12 7:34 a.m.
JoeyM wrote: Those are "American assembled, partially from imported parts"

So are all "American" cars, then.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/3/12 8:36 a.m.
Knurled wrote:
JoeyM wrote: Those are "American assembled, partially from imported parts"
So are all "American" cars, then.

Exactly. Foreign companies have created jobs with their factories here.

Buying an a Honda Accord built in Marysville, made out of Mitsui steel from Richfield creates jobs in Ohio. Sure, the keiretsu-nature of a Japanese company buying products from another Japanese company bothers some people, but there's no question that two manufacturers moving into Ohio has been good for their economy.

The same is true for Volkswagon in TN something that they are not afraid to play up.

Knurled
Knurled GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/3/12 9:16 a.m.

There are a good number of engineers working for Toyota and Honda, as well.

During the dark days of the auto company fiasco a few years ago, I was at a Detroit Region rallycross event. A good number of their competitors are engineers or otherwise work for GM/Ford/Chrysler in some fashion, and many had doubts as to their continued employment. During the driver's meeting, someone said something about the Big Three. The chair said "Yeah, the American Big Three... that's Honda, Volkswagen, and Toyota, right?"

Zomby Woof
Zomby Woof UberDork
11/4/12 6:54 p.m.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/build-projects-and-project-cars/help-with-sbc-chevy/56562/page1/

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/4/12 8:27 p.m.
Flight Service wrote:
JoeyM wrote:
Flight Service wrote:
irish44j wrote: my least favorite reduntant phrases: "foreign imported cars"
So what would a Honda Accord, Toyota Camry, Subaru Legacy, Mercedes Benz ML, BMW X5 and VW Jetta be?
Those are "American assembled, partially from imported parts"
Fixed that for you. for the record: Assembled in Ohio, Indiana, Indiana (same plant as Camry), Alabama, South Carolina, Tennessee. and I would call the Mondeo an Imported Domestic.

The Mondeo would be "captive import." I first heard the term working for Mitsubishi about Dodges that were actually Mitsus.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/4/12 10:20 p.m.
Zomby Woof wrote: Or the hot water heater.

what is wrong with a Hot Water Heater? Something has to heat the water up to make it hot

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/4/12 10:21 p.m.

Yeah, but the Mondeo was a ford overseas, and still would be after importing. I think your "captive import" may only apply to badge engineering (e.g. your mitsubishis being sold as dodges, or mazda pickups being sold as fords)

Curmudgeon
Curmudgeon MegaDork
11/5/12 7:26 a.m.
mad_machine wrote:
Zomby Woof wrote: Or the hot water heater.
what is wrong with a Hot Water Heater? Something has to heat the water up to make it hot

[George Carlin] 'Hot water doesn't need heating.'[/George Carlin]

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/5/12 9:43 a.m.

The IT nerd in me hates when someone says NIC (Network Interface Card) card.

kreb
kreb GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
11/5/12 10:01 a.m.

Most American's don't know what a boxer engine is. I see Toybaru as trying to appropriate the term and make people associate it with their product. If you can't make up a term (see Duratech, Infiniti, et al), try and claim someone else's for your own!

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
11/5/12 10:03 a.m.

In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit:

I find your screen name a little redundant.

yamaha
yamaha Dork
11/5/12 11:17 a.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit: I find your screen name a little redundant.

thats more than just a little bit..........

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/5/12 11:22 a.m.

I hate "time-schedule". What other kind of (^ common) schedule is there?

It also annoys me when people say supposebly.

Rusted_Busted_Spit
Rusted_Busted_Spit GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
11/5/12 12:01 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: In reply to Rusted_Busted_Spit: I find your screen name a little redundant.

Well done.

novaderrik
novaderrik UltraDork
11/5/12 3:49 p.m.

this thread reminds of some funny little shorts i hear on the radio at work every night.. it's called Man Man and Boy Boy... a little background: Man Man was a guy named Bruce Phallus that was bitten by a radioactive body builder and given the testosterone of 100 men, and the brains to match. Boy Boy is his (possibly) gay teenage sidekick.

anyways, one episode had him fighting an arch enemy named "Oxy Moron" and his army of living dead jumbo shrimp...

that is all..

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 SuperDork
11/5/12 7:08 p.m.
Rusted_Busted_Spit wrote: The IT nerd in me hates when someone says NIC (Network Interface Card) card.

I agree. There are many IT terms that people hack up that irk me.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/5/12 10:46 p.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: I hate "time-schedule". What other kind of (^ common) schedule is there?

Payment Schedule?

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand Reader
11/6/12 8:04 a.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

Based on time I believe.

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/6/12 9:58 a.m.
wvumtnbkr wrote: In reply to JoeyM: Based on time I believe.

Time is an illusion. Lunch time, doubly so.

44Dwarf
44Dwarf SuperDork
11/6/12 12:56 p.m.

Reality is an illusion..caused by lack of Alcohol.

No one needs a hot water heater they need cold water heaters....

JoeyM
JoeyM UltimaDork
11/6/12 1:05 p.m.
44Dwarf wrote: Reality is an illusion..caused by lack of Alcohol.

....which, in sufficient quantity, should feel similar to being hit in the head with a large gold brick wrapped in a lemon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FMn3fNLvXsmSbohsRjsNHwpQL5nHNa0JsDPAbydekcNTK0rzsRyGGWMXJ1vTsapB