1 2 3
Swank Force One
Swank Force One MegaDork
1/20/12 8:48 p.m.

Is there royal purple flocking? Make my dash look like a crown royal bag?

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 8:52 p.m.

anybody ever flocked a whole car? I mean the outside.

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/20/12 8:56 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Is there royal purple flocking? Make my dash look like a crown royal bag?

Yes. Here is the color chart.

http://www.donjer.com/colorchart.htm

MG Bryan
MG Bryan HalfDork
1/20/12 8:58 p.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: Is there royal purple flocking? Make my dash look like a crown royal bag?

So you can feel a little more like this guy?

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/20/12 9:04 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: anybody ever flocked a whole car? I mean the outside.

I have my old dented hood sitting out back. Maybe I'll flock a small section of it and then leave it out in the weather for a while and see what happens

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/20/12 9:17 p.m.

I'm thinking that IF it's durable you'd be able to cut down a factory dash when building a Locost which would make it easier to use the factory instruments, etc. and make for a more finished look.

Overheard from one of the forum member's computers (you didn't realize you couldn't turn off the mic on your computer?)

Back in the day I flocked everything that moved. Flock, flock, flock, that's all I thought of, but now I need the air powered model to do a good flocking job.

irish44j
irish44j Dork
1/20/12 9:52 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I'm thinking that IF it's durable you'd be able to cut down a factory dash when building a Locost which would make it easier to use the factory instruments, etc. and make for a more finished look. Overheard from one of the forum member's computers (you didn't realize you couldn't turn off the mic on your computer?) Back in the day I flocked everything that moved. Flock, flock, flock, that's all I thought of, but now I need the air powered model to do a good flocking job.

the air powered model, eh?

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/20/12 10:07 p.m.

You read my mind. I mean HIS mind.

ahutson03
ahutson03 Reader
1/21/12 9:33 a.m.

I flockedthe ae86 dash a couple months ago, I love it.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg SuperDork
1/21/12 10:58 a.m.

Awesome, this solves the dash problem on the 74 Corona MKII which is made of pure unobtainium.

Not to mention a few others...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/21/12 11:57 a.m.
irish44j wrote: after:

That really does look fantastic. I just wish I could convince myself that it would look "correct" in a 60's style interior. I need a covering for the new fiat dash but I just dont think it would look right.

In 80's and newer cars it looks amazing.

poopshovel
poopshovel SuperDork
1/21/12 2:10 p.m.

Damn. That is truly delicious.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/21/12 2:15 p.m.

I wonder how it would stand up in a convertible?

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/21/12 2:35 p.m.
ditchdigger wrote: That really does look fantastic. I just wish I could convince myself that it would look "correct" in a 60's style interior. I need a covering for the new fiat dash but I just dont think it would look right. In 80's and newer cars it looks amazing.

Awesome job on the flocked dash! I've always wondered what a good home-job can look like...

I did the bondo + truckbed liner on my 72 dash that was all cracked and falling apart, ditchdigger, it might work for you:

(that crack looking spot was where it was still drying that evening, it's all level and even now

I decided flocked looked too modern for an older car, but most older dashes are vinyl or leather so if it's vinyl the truck bed-liner is a poly+vinyl mix so it ends up with a similar texture and coating thickness, it's just not as pliable...

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/12 2:36 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: I wonder how it would stand up in a convertible?

It says the Nylon flock is weatherproof and won't fade so I assume it would be fine, it would probably just get dirtier faster.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/21/12 3:31 p.m.

How do you apply the truck bed liner and is there any special truck bed liner you use?

Bondo for the crack? That's not pliable.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Reader
1/21/12 5:43 p.m.
RexSeven wrote: Might be a good way to spruce up the hideous and oh-so-80's bordello red interior of my turbo FC. (Not mine, but the interior is nearly identical)

Oooof. Flashback! My N/A FC had the same interior. Except once the stock seats started falling apart I stuck some black leather TII seats in. Oh and after the headlight switch relay quit (before I took ownership) it was replaced with some toggle switches. That interior had.... character. Yeah that's it! Character.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/12 6:51 p.m.
Raze wrote:
ditchdigger wrote: That really does look fantastic. I just wish I could convince myself that it would look "correct" in a 60's style interior. I need a covering for the new fiat dash but I just dont think it would look right. In 80's and newer cars it looks amazing.
Awesome job on the flocked dash! I've always wondered what a good home-job can look like... I did the bondo + truckbed liner on my 72 dash that was all cracked and falling apart, ditchdigger, it might work for you: (that crack looking spot was where it was still drying that evening, it's all level and even now I decided flocked looked too modern for an older car, but most older dashes are vinyl or leather so if it's vinyl the truck bed-liner is a poly+vinyl mix so it ends up with a similar texture and coating thickness, it's just not as pliable...

ok.. I REALLY like that. I think it would be perfect for the cracked dash in my saab 900 (plus I have a spare dash to play with)

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
1/21/12 6:59 p.m.

Mmmmm. I is thinking mine 2002 might be looking good with a flocking of the dash. Looking good man.

Taiden
Taiden SuperDork
1/21/12 7:02 p.m.

Man, it's so tempting to do... but the textured vinyl on the e30 dashes is just so PERFECT. I can't imagine the interior looking right with flocking. Although I suppose anything will be better than cracked dashboard...

deutschman
deutschman New Reader
1/21/12 7:02 p.m.

PS The best thing to fill dash cracks with is... SEM Products Inc SE39927 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMM-39927/ because it is flexible so it does not have much of a problem with your dash expanding and contracting with heat or body flex.

carguy123
carguy123 SuperDork
1/21/12 7:23 p.m.
deutschman wrote: PS The best thing to fill dash cracks with is... SEM Products Inc SE39927 http://www.summitracing.com/parts/SMM-39927/ because it is flexible so it does not have much of a problem with your dash expanding and contracting with heat or body flex.

Locost it's not!

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/21/12 7:56 p.m.

Once I am able to pick up the (REDACTED) I think I am going to use a combination of the Bondo/Bedliner and flocking for the dash and door panels. We can get tintable bedliner at work...

ditchdigger
ditchdigger Dork
1/21/12 8:17 p.m.
Raze wrote: I did the bondo + truckbed liner on my 72 dash that was all cracked and falling apart, ditchdigger, it might work for you:

Which bedliner product did you use? I have tried cans from walmart and it didn't have that nice fine texture to it. They were large and irregular blobs. The roll on type is even worse.

Right now I have been experimenting with a combination textured stove paint base coat topped with Plasti-dip spray. It feels great to the touch and has a very fine texture but I would like it to look a bit less like paint. Perhaps plasti-dip over that bedliner would be where its at for me.

teaser of the new dash

Photobucket

Raze
Raze SuperDork
1/22/12 2:03 p.m.

In reply to ditchdigger:

I used Duplicolor spray on bedliner. Several important points I can bring up 1) spray many light coats, all inside an hour but leave 5-10 min between coats or so, it builds up the texture the best and keeps everything even as it allows each thin layer to dry quickly. 2) keep the nozzle clean between coats, otherwise it can blob a little. 3) allow an excessively long dry time once you're happy with the build up texture (think 2 weeks as it will still be out-gassing up until that time). 4) clean and sand every part before applying this stuff, it doesn't matter if it already has a rough surface, get some 80 grit and work over the surface. I've now coated a lot of things besides interior parts with this bedliner and it works excellent if you go slow, and follow the above points.

In reply to carguy123:

I know bondo isn't optimal on a dash to fill cracks, but I had it on hand, and it's cheap whereas all the 'correct' plyable filler material kits were $$$. This fix for me is on a low-buck Fiat resto so I don't care if it doesn't hold up forever, I didn't even have a dash before this cracked one, and a new one running around $250 wasn't in the budget when a used cracked dash for $50 + $8 can of duplicolor and some bondo and sandpaper gave me a result I'm quite happy with...

I still REALLY like this thread and the flocked dash, I may try a DIY flock on our race car (XR4) as it's dash is cracking and it's an 80s car and we get some reflection which is annoying!

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
x9podMDQd8yqb9fOeR4VVVXM8SoGutFmc49ct9gxWRVXwdiUOyA2blKIM1ngJP2J