stan
stan GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
12/23/11 7:27 a.m.

After seeing the Focus threads I'm thinking about going after a new (ok- different) DD and was wondering how these two compare. I'm sure the SVT has a lot of suspension goodies, but what else?

...and I could sift through the Focus sites, but just wanted the cliff-notes version for right now.

thanks, Stan

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/23/11 7:55 a.m.

SVT--170 HP, special head, cams, pistons, intake, header etc. Zetec--130 HP

SVT--Getrag 6 speed Zetec--MTX-75 5 speed or 4 speed auto

SVT- 4-wheel discs Zetec-disc/drum, with an optional system called Advancetrac (rear discs and stability control).

Springs, shocks, RSB from SVT all interchange on regular (except wagon).

Seats, steering wheel etc.

corytate
corytate HalfDork
12/23/11 7:57 a.m.

moar turbooo en svt

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/23/11 8:00 a.m.

If you're looking for a low fun ride, the Zx2 has swapable parts. Swap some SVT parts in and instant power.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
12/23/11 8:13 a.m.

get a 2.3 duratec focus swap svt suspension goodies purchase aftermarket limited slip for mtx tranny purchase/make ITB and headers for engine (current duratec guts are limited to 230hp before they go bye bye)

Enjoy 200+ hp with no issues

theenico
theenico New Reader
12/23/11 8:18 a.m.

Wasn't the ZX2 S/R available with a "trunk kit" consisting of Dynamic Suspension coilovers.

This was before the SCCA got rid of the trunk kit allownces for the Showroom Stock cars IIRC.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/23/11 9:13 a.m.

In reply to theenico:

The SR was a funny machine. There were differences between them in the same year. Some had this header, that brake package, etc. Etc wouldn't be surprised to see a turbo bigfoot Zx2 SR.

alex
alex SuperDork
12/23/11 9:59 a.m.

I learned the expensive way:

SVT - interference head
ZX3 - non-interference

That's why I like Flightservice's recipe. Honestly, a 2.3 ZX3 with a 5spd and SVT suspenders would be a mighty entertaining and dead-nuts reliable DD.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/23/11 10:09 a.m.
theenico wrote: Wasn't the ZX2 S/R available with a "trunk kit" consisting of Dynamic Suspension coilovers. This was before the SCCA got rid of the trunk kit allownces for the Showroom Stock cars IIRC.

Yes there was a ZX2 trunk kit--it was for SCCA showroom stock (SSC) to allow the Fords to run in the same league as the Neon ACRs of the day. It had coilovers and a bigger RSB.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/23/11 10:17 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to theenico: The SR was a funny machine. There were differences between them in the same year. Some had this header, that brake package, etc. Etc wouldn't be surprised to see a turbo bigfoot Zx2 SR.

Some m/y 2000 S/Rs were not built with the Centerforce clutch. They all had 4 wheel discs (a la EGT) and none had a header.

They had: Eibach springs on Tokico struts, Urathane swaybar bushings, Iceman intake, F/R tuned PCM, Borla axle-back, B&M shifter, Centerforce Clutch, 4-wheel discs.

All were built on a "Hot" package with A/C, spoiler, and foglamps

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/23/11 10:22 a.m.

In reply to ST_ZX2:

So no Bigfoot package? Damn. I'll ask (can't remember name) why not next time I see him.

I got the cooool coupe.

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
12/23/11 10:23 a.m.

In reply to alex:

+1 on liking Flightservice's recipe. An svt suspension from Ford Racing is $305. This build is on my to do list. I would have to give up my owned since new,dead-nuts reliable, just done timing belt serviced, boring 04 Civic. That car has been a blessing and a curse. But yeah, I would do a 2.3L zx3 and add the svt goodies for dirt cheap.

ST_ZX2
ST_ZX2 HalfDork
12/23/11 11:09 a.m.
N Sperlo wrote: In reply to ST_ZX2: So no Bigfoot package? Damn. I'll ask Trask why not next time I see him. I got the cooool coupe.

Kewl.

alex
alex SuperDork
12/23/11 12:12 p.m.
Fletch1 wrote: In reply to alex: +1 on liking Flightservice's recipe. An svt suspension from Ford Racing is $305. This build is on my to do list. I would have to give up my owned since new,dead-nuts reliable, just done timing belt serviced, boring 04 Civic. That car has been a blessing and a curse. But yeah, I would do a 2.3L zx3 and add the svt goodies for dirt cheap.

We dumped the SVT after putting in a couple grand when the timing belt idler pulley grenaded and pistons beat the valves into submission. When our remaining '00 ZX3 with 175k finally wears out, a 2.3 ZX3/5 with SVT suspension will replace it, no question.

N Sperlo
N Sperlo SuperDork
12/23/11 12:26 p.m.

In reply to alex:

I think you just talked me out of the SVT head into the Zx2. I hate interference (engines of course).

Hal
Hal Dork
12/23/11 2:12 p.m.

Best all around DD in stock form would be a 2005-2007 ST sedan. Has the 2.3L Duratec with a better final drive and 4 wheel disks.

Next would be a ZX3/5 with a Zetec. SVT suspension package is cheap and easy to do except for the front sway bar. Could also do a rear disc brake conversion. Front can also be converted to larger SVT disks but it is expensive and not worht it IMO.

Ultimate would be one set up like mine (check readers rides) but some of the parts are NLA new (would have to find a used supercharger kit).

Fletch1
Fletch1 HalfDork
12/23/11 3:33 p.m.

In reply to alex:

I told Honda to put on a new idler pulley and tensioner when they did the timing belt, they did not.

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/11 4:21 p.m.

Are the Ford 2.3 and the Mazda 2.3 the same?

I seem to recall they have a different bell housing pattern, at least.

FlightService
FlightService Dork
12/23/11 4:28 p.m.

In reply to Brett_Murphy:

The 2.3 in my Mazda5 has FoMoCo stamped on most of it. So if they are different, it is very subtle

Brett_Murphy
Brett_Murphy GRM+ Memberand Dork
12/23/11 9:59 p.m.

Hmmm.... HMMMMMM....

That would make a very nice project, methinks.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jVSHpI8RtAlZb9KhoQ7KB8mBxcuOBaGJdXfqFtEx9HX7OHJQx2G2E6BLh13LdA5K