1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 93
NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
3/15/22 8:40 p.m.

I was reading the news from the other side of the pond and this article was there. I know people say this is a hack job news source but it is the BBC so there is some credibility there. The pro Hamilton slant is palpable, even for a Hamilton fan like me.

https://www.bbc.com/sport/formula1/60758648

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/16/22 8:12 a.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

I guess I was fooled by the live coverage by Skysports(espn). Thanks for providing facts. 

I don't have a recording of that race saved or anything so if you have some special replay I will trust that. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/16/22 8:30 a.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

There has been so many changes to the system that essentially makes the FIA and Formula 1 admit that the end of the season was incorrect that I'm good with the changes..  Especially since there has been a massive shake up with the new cars.

NY Nick
3/16/22 8:39 a.m.

In reply to alfadriver :

That is true but the article posted above said that if Mercedes won the protest they would have invalidated the race and therefore Max would have still been champion. That is a crap sandwich for me (Lewis Fan) but I guess that is why it is a season championship and not a last lap of the last race championship.

Also Welcome back Advan046. I also struggled with the decision and it made me pull away from F1 a little and it put a bad taste in my mouth but I love the sport and I don't want to let one issue ruin it for me so I have had to work through it and hope for a better future. It still rubs me wrong when I see the 1 on that RB but we (they) get to try again this year. 

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/16/22 9:34 a.m.
NY Nick said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Yeah I always liked Checo and I do wish him well but man I find it hard to route for Horner (Marko seems the same way in the limited pieces I have seen him). 

I also don't want to route for Max or Horner, but I do like Checo. And there is the odd twist that my employer is now the title sponsor for Red Bull. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/16/22 9:43 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I've pretty much accepted that the mistake will stand, but at least they have admitted the mistake.  And will try to prevent it and other mistakes in the future.  One of those letting max get away with pushing other cars off the track when minor infractions had lead to penalties to others.  But at least rules will be rules and wont change in the middle of a race.

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/16/22 1:33 p.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

The last race battle between checo and lewis was awesome,if Max raced like that I'd be a massive fan.

Still can't stand a thing coming out of Horners/Markos mouth however. :)

NY Nick
3/16/22 1:51 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

everything you said rings 100% true to me.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
3/16/22 2:04 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to z31maniac :

The last race battle between checo and lewis was awesome,if Max raced like that I'd be a massive fan.

Still can't stand a thing coming out of Horners/Markos mouth however. :)

Exactly!

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/16/22 2:14 p.m.

In reply to rob_lewis :

From ESPN website article about Monza.

Before walking away from the accident with barely a glance at his competitor, Verstappen said over team radio, "That's what you get if you don't leave any space, f---ing hell."

Tom1200
Tom1200 UltraDork
3/16/22 2:45 p.m.

Regardless of what Masi decided somebody was going to be raging pissed off, so he was in a no win. With that said the fact that he chose the show over the regulations, is why replacing him was the right decision. Having officials decide a championship, however unintended is bad for everyone.

I can't wait for Friday, looking forward to seeing the new cars on track.

Region_Rat
Region_Rat New Reader
3/16/22 2:48 p.m.

In reply to Advan046 :

Not to defend Max but does the radio work after they disconnect themselves from the car or did he say that before getting out where he would have not known the extent of what happened when the tire hit Lewis' helmet?

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/16/22 3:09 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

Kind of suprised the rule changes didn't include something along the lines of 5 or less laps to go and a caution situation is deemed to be a red flag.

If that had happened I'd be fine with whomever got their name on the big cup.

Side note,why is F1 allowed to swap tires/work on the car etc during red flags?.

Seems to me no other pro series is allowed too.

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/16/22 3:21 p.m.

In reply to Region_Rat :

How I understood the timeline,

1. Max crashes out himself and Hamilton.
  2. Sometime between the crash and getting out of his car he makes that radio statement.
  3. Then he disconnects and gets out of his car.
NY Nick
3/16/22 3:24 p.m.

In reply to kevlarcorolla :

I agree that would have been a good solution, I would have also been fine with Max having to deal with the 5 cars (which I think he would have done and still passed him). 

In reality I think any decision he made was bound to piss off half of the fans. I am on the slighted half here but even in DTS last night the Red Bull crew was crying when the initial call was to leave the 5 cars, so that surely would have resulted in outcry. Red Flag would have done the same, RB would say that isn't in the rules and you just did it to help Lewis. No good results. 

Advan046
Advan046 UltraDork
3/16/22 3:27 p.m.
kevlarcorolla said:

In reply to Tom1200 :

Side note,why is F1 allowed to swap tires/work on the car etc during red flags?.

Seems to me no other pro series is allowed too.

It is safety related. The track workers need to use equipment on track or there is a ton of carbon fiber splintered around. Actually it is similar to the Nascar debris caution. But carbon cutting down a passing F1 car's tires just prolongs the delay to get back to green flag running. I think the main goal is to restart and not just have another yellow occur due to body damage from debris or tire cut related crashes. 

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
3/16/22 3:43 p.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

If they threw the red and both cars swapped tires it would've been hard to see how it favoured either team.

Max had zero chance in catching Lewis before that caution even with Checo doing a damn fine job of holding up Lewis(obviously not a very sporting thing in its own right but it was for position so game on)

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/17/22 8:08 a.m.

Vettel is out, Hulkenberg is in-berkeleying Covid

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/17/22 9:20 p.m.

In other news, COTA sold out in less than 24 hours outside of a few odds and ends. 

If you were planning on coming, I hope you got your ticket already.

loosecannon
loosecannon SuperDork
3/17/22 9:59 p.m.

For the first time ever, I have joined a Formula 1 fantasy league. It's the GridRival app and I have joined "The Race" podcast league. Link Here I do not have Lewis on my team

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
3/17/22 10:26 p.m.

This is some of the most excited I have been for real practice.  

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/17/22 10:43 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

In other news, COTA sold out in less than 24 hours outside of a few odds and ends. 

Which is surprising considering how much they raised ticket prices.

ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter)
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) HalfDork
3/17/22 11:01 p.m.
bmw88rider said:

I went last year.  While fun, I don't see myself going back again to fight that enormous crowd unless there's some sort of VIP situation.  I see way more of the race watching on TV.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
3/18/22 12:14 a.m.
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:
bmw88rider said:

I went last year.  While fun, I don't see myself going back again any time again to fight that enormous crowd unless there's some sort of VIP situation.  I see way more of the race watching on TV.

That's why I've never done to live races outside of local dirt races and the Chili Bowl in Tulsa.

Its just never seemed worth the expense or hassle to see a small part of the track all weekend. I know you can watch a screen, but I can do that at home and save a chunk.

I say that, but there is still one race in my bucket list, PPIHC.

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
3/18/22 8:29 a.m.
z31maniac said:
ShinnyGroove (Forum Supporter) said:
bmw88rider said:

I went last year.  While fun, I don't see myself going back again any time again to fight that enormous crowd unless there's some sort of VIP situation.  I see way more of the race watching on TV.

That's why I've never done to live races outside of local dirt races and the Chili Bowl in Tulsa.

Its just never seemed worth the expense or hassle to see a small part of the track all weekend. I know you can watch a screen, but I can do that at home and save a chunk.

I say that, but there is still one race in my bucket list, PPIHC.

In my opinion, there are very good reasons to go to a live race weekend, but I prefer Friday and Saturday at the track to get the t shirt,  sights and smells, then Sunday at the hotel or home to watch the race on TV instead of being crushed by the crowds.. 

1 ... 14 15 16 17 18 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
k02b54OP4A2NdctLw8tZ1fbj5DRctJGVxVu3i0sA5K4e2zmU2hIhAus5IOatHwkr