stroker
stroker UberDork
2/22/22 3:41 p.m.

God, I love McLorange...  smiley

kevlarcorolla
kevlarcorolla Dork
2/22/22 5:37 p.m.

In reply to Sonic :

I believe the brake ducts are no longer allowed to vent out thru the face of the wheel to minimize the turbulent air. 

Jim Pettengill
Jim Pettengill HalfDork
2/23/22 12:56 a.m.

On track tomorrow!  Won't show us who's really quick and who's not, but at least it will be a first taste and give us real info to discuss.  Should be an interesting season.

wvumtnbkr
wvumtnbkr GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/22 7:36 a.m.
Jim Pettengill said:

On track tomorrow!  Won't show us who's really quick and who's not, but at least it will be a first taste and give us real info to discuss.  Should be an interesting season.

Any coverage?

NY Nick
NY Nick GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
2/23/22 8:41 a.m.

In reply to wvumtnbkr :

I don't see any on F1 tv pro. I was hoping there would be, even if they said hey welcome back time to pay up again! But my subscription is still up to date and there is nothing. 

NY Nick
2/23/22 8:46 a.m.

There is the live feed from F1.com

Live feed

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/23/22 10:11 a.m.

In reply to NY Nick :

I wish they didn't talk about ridiculous stuff like this: 

"Alonso continues to lap, that Alpine livery really standing out in the sparkling sunshine. This is what he came back for, the big regulation change. But will Alpine deliver him a car capable of fighting it out at the front of the field? And if they don't... Will he stick around"

More information on the cars themselves.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/22 1:12 p.m.

They look so different!

The front wings look way bigger on the high nose cars than the low nose ones, but it's just an optical illusion. Starting to see the real sidepods, too. Mercedes has a "chop" in the middle of their's perpendicular to the car, Ferrari's "chop" is parallel to the car and right in the middle - totally unique. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/23/22 1:37 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

They probably don't have any information other than what they can see, but they have to talk about something. 

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/23/22 2:25 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Isn't Ocon better then him though? Imagine Alonso has the bigger following.

Keith Tanner
2/23/22 6:45 p.m.

In reply to trigun7469 :

Alonso has a massive following. I've never understood it myself, but I know some people figure he's the best driver on the grid. I think he's a whiny little boy who will purposefully screw over his teammate. His behavior during the Honda engine era didn't do anything to change that.

Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter)
Tom_Spangler (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
2/23/22 9:02 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

In reply to trigun7469 :

Alonso has a massive following. I've never understood it myself, but I know some people figure he's the best driver on the grid. I think he's a whiny little boy who will purposefully screw over his teammate. His behavior during the Honda engine era didn't do anything to change that.

His mythology was born when he was the guy who finally ended Schumacher's dominance. After burning his bridges at McLaren (which is when I lost all respect for him as a person), he spent a bunch of years in sub-par Ferraris, where the perception was that he was good enough to win titles, but the car wasn't.

I think he's a world class shiny happy person, but there's no denying he's one of the top racing talents of the 21st century.

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork
2/24/22 7:07 a.m.

In reply to Tom & Keith :

Funny that I could never really explain what Alonso did to my wife- as he's still her favorite driver.  Although, she also thinks he should have stayed retired.

NY Nick
2/24/22 9:05 a.m.

So the big word of the day today is porpoising. That is the car gets sucked down to the ground by the ground effect, it gets too close, stalls releases the car and then it gains downforce again, rinse and repeat.

That is interesting but maybe more interesting to me is they didn't predict it, and their rolling floor wind tunnels didn't see it because they floors are less rigid than asphalt. Maybe even more interesting is they all found it yesterday. Engineers in the factory worked solutions yesterday, floors are being built now and the expectation is a bunch of new floors are going onto cars tonight. Holy crap that's impressive. 

wae
wae PowerDork
2/24/22 10:18 a.m.
NY Nick said:

So the big word of the day today is porpoising. That is the car gets sucked down to the ground by the ground effect, it gets too close, stalls releases the car and then it gains downforce again, rinse and repeat.

That is interesting but maybe more interesting to me is they didn't predict it, and their rolling floor wind tunnels didn't see it because they floors are less rigid than asphalt. Maybe even more interesting is they all found it yesterday. Engineers in the factory worked solutions yesterday, floors are being built now and the expectation is a bunch of new floors are going onto cars tonight. Holy crap that's expensive

FTFY!  hehe

I have to wonder how that will affect the teams in regards to the cost cap calculations.  I'm sure they have something budgeted for "stuff we discover at Barcelona", but that's gotta put a a damper on some of the overall development plans, I'd think.  Although, the more I think about it, maybe they had already been building a list of things to change on the floor anyway and this just bumps it up instead of becoming an upgrade later....

NY Nick
2/24/22 10:43 a.m.

Maybe Keith or someone with more insight to the teams can answer this one.

Back in 2001-2002 I used to go to Germany for work. One of the factories that I would go to was on the Eck Airfield. It is a retired airfield and now a business park. On multiple occasions I saw race teams there testing single seaters. They would scream down the runway and stop and turn around and do it again. I know that there are testing restrictions in F1 (just like NASCAR) but can a team take their current spec car out and run it down a closed course? or drive it around their parking lot? How is this regulated and policed? 

I think they would have seen this if they ran the car down a long straight away of actual pavement but I guess that isn't allowed.

NY Nick
2/24/22 10:44 a.m.

In reply to wae :

I had to google FTFY (I guess I am getting old) and then read the quote again. That is good and true!

trigun7469
trigun7469 UltraDork
2/24/22 10:52 a.m.

On Peter Windsor YouTube channel with Scarbs, they were talking about how difficult it would be to copy the designs of what teams are doing, for atleast a year, because of how many are very different. This really might make things very interesting.

johndej
johndej Dork
2/24/22 11:28 a.m.

"Sebastian Vettel says he will not race in the Russian Grand Prix if Formula 1 still visits there later this year following the country’s invasion of Ukraine."

Willing to bet a few others will share that view if it is held.

z31maniac
z31maniac MegaDork
2/24/22 11:33 a.m.
johndej said:

"Sebastian Vettel says he will not race in the Russian Grand Prix if Formula 1 still visits there later this year following the country’s invasion of Ukraine."

Willing to bet a few others will share that view if it is held.

I'd have to think they won't.........given it's proximity to Ukraine. 

bmw88rider
bmw88rider GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
2/24/22 11:58 a.m.

In reply to z31maniac :

They have already paused ticket sales. I know personally I'll be questioning my involvement in the sport if they hold that race. 

There are also questions coming up about the Uralchem sponsorship for Haas. There is expected to be additional sanctions on raw material providers like Uralchem per my consultants. If that happens does Haas still exist? It's a US chartered company so they will be sanctioned from all money from Mazepin if that happens. Something interesting to watch in the background. 

Keith Tanner
2/24/22 12:54 p.m.
NY Nick said:

Maybe Keith or someone with more insight to the teams can answer this one.

Back in 2001-2002 I used to go to Germany for work. One of the factories that I would go to was on the Eck Airfield. It is a retired airfield and now a business park. On multiple occasions I saw race teams there testing single seaters. They would scream down the runway and stop and turn around and do it again. I know that there are testing restrictions in F1 (just like NASCAR) but can a team take their current spec car out and run it down a closed course? or drive it around their parking lot? How is this regulated and policed? 

I think they would have seen this if they ran the car down a long straight away of actual pavement but I guess that isn't allowed.

I don't have that much insight, but I know they're allowed a certain level of straight line testing. That's what was happening when the Marussia test driver had a bad low-speed accident involving a truck.

https://f1.fandom.com/wiki/Testing#Straight_line_testing 

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/24/22 1:08 p.m.

Keith Tanner
2/24/22 1:20 p.m.
NY Nick said:

That is interesting but maybe more interesting to me is they didn't predict it, and their rolling floor wind tunnels didn't see it because they floors are less rigid than asphalt. Maybe even more interesting is they all found it yesterday. Engineers in the factory worked solutions yesterday, floors are being built now and the expectation is a bunch of new floors are going onto cars tonight. Holy crap that's impressive. 

Porpoising is a known problem with cars that rely on ground effect. I suspect it was expected but not to what degree.

The "let's just cut a chunk off this and see" concept is one I love. The floor is going to be replaced anyhow, let's give this a try. A bit reminiscent of the story behind the development of the 917K where John Horseman chopped a chunk of the tail of the car off to the horror of Porsche engineers. BTW, if you haven't read Horseman's book "Racing in the rain" (no, not the one with the dog) it's worth hunting down.

1 ... 7 8 9 10 11 ... 93

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
aRzaPk2cOstpkD8nRtSQB6GkhY5kTuAUDy6TRBYFDnrVmpSSeUAYMgKBu0uy0Uzx