Paris Van Gorder
Paris Van Gorder Associate editor
8/28/24 9:53 a.m.
feature_image

From sorting bolts to managing a team, I have worked behind the scenes for a few years. But this weekend, I was able to sit behind the wheel for the first time.

For those of you who maybe have seen my name pop up this past month and thought: Who is this? Well, allow me to formally introduce myself. My …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/28/24 10:33 a.m.

Sunday was a fun day. Sure, we got to play with cars but, more importantly, put someone new behind the wheel. 

I wound up doing novice instruction for two heats. At one point, the person working grid came up to me: We have someone who keeps getting lost, can you help?

Sure.

I first worked to get him calm and find the issue: He was missing a gate before a 180. I had a course map on my phone and showed him where we needed to go.

Next run, he made it through the gate.

The one after that, he started adding speed–you could feel the confidence from the right seat.

Upon returning to grid, his buddies ran over to congratulation him on looking smooth and fast out there.

I’d call that a win. 

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/28/24 10:42 a.m.

In reply to David S. Wallens :

I recall that exact gate. I nearly missed it several times.

I also second what Paris said, I also prefer to work before my driving session. It helps me see how other drivers tackle the course–where they are fastest and where they have difficulties.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/28/24 10:45 a.m.

The one after the first slalom? Yup. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
SoLSEG45fXGh8ISRc8QZXc7AqNQKdovPS9BlvftMUUMKPMOCOMIlbg6LNwgRXkAq