1 ... 5 6 7
Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/22/17 10:56 a.m.
SVreX wrote: I actually prefer the 4.8L. The oversquare design makes the revs much more appropriate for a sports car, and I can give up a little torque with the weight I am targeting.

I agree with this for a smaller, lighter car. I think the 4.8 cammed up nicely would allow a T-5 to live a decent life as well. Torque curve is up the rev range so it's not destroying everything off the line, but will rev to the moon and keep making power.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/22/17 11:24 a.m.
Appleseed wrote: In reply to SVreX: Could you fortify a T-5 for less money?

Yes. That would be perfectly adequate for a Challenge car.

I am not trying to build a Challenge car. I am trying to build a full blown street car ready for the track at Challenge prices, which I can also bring to the Challenge.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/22/17 11:26 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:
SVreX wrote: I actually prefer the 4.8L. The oversquare design makes the revs much more appropriate for a sports car, and I can give up a little torque with the weight I am targeting.
I agree with this for a smaller, lighter car. I think the 4.8 cammed up nicely would allow a T-5 to live a decent life as well. Torque curve is up the rev range so it's not destroying everything off the line, but will rev to the moon and keep making power.

I am sure you are right about the T-5. I want the 6th gear/ overdrive for highway cruising.

pres589
pres589 PowerDork
2/22/17 11:32 a.m.

What about a TH350 or 700R4 with a manual valve body or some other kind of similar shift improvement stuffed in? Seems like that should be cheaper to put together than either a toughened T-5 or whatever T56 can be found.

A 700R4 gets you the O/D, should be able to handle the power after some tweaks, and are common as dirt. Probably also easier on the rear end when faced with power from a turbocharged 4.8.

CBraden
CBraden New Reader
2/22/17 11:45 a.m.
Bobzilla wrote:

I dropped an LR4 in a light endurance road race car, and the team gets constant reminders that the T5 is a fusible link that anybody can pop at any time, but - hint hint - please don't. So far about 24 hours on track and no issues. The car is ~2550 lbs and uses a 3.4 or steeper final drive, so it should last for a while I hope... we change rear gears for each track to keep the car in 4th as much as possible, as 3rd and 5th are where I hear about most problems. We have been shifting @ 5700 as we assess durability (engine hasn't blinked yet - even though cooling was an issue at one race and oil got up to 280, and coolant 225) and will likely up the shift point in next race (it has new OEM valve springs on a stock cam so it shouldn't float valves below 6500 we hope), and against all better judgement, will probably tinker with the tune a little even though I think it is indestructible with the factory tune. With the stock cam, it pulls from below 3000 rpm, and pulls great all the way to shift point. I wish it was street legal so I could drive it more...

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
2/22/17 3:07 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
I am sure you are right about the T-5. I want the 6th gear/ overdrive for highway cruising.

T-5's 5th gears is overdrive, too. The T-56 has a double overdrive.

RossD
RossD UltimaDork
2/22/17 3:15 p.m.

I checked on Jegs and they have listed the 5th gear on a Ford T-5 as 0.63 and the 6th gear on a Chevy T56 as 0.63. Of course 5th gear is also an overdrive at 0.80.

tuna55
tuna55 MegaDork
2/22/17 3:18 p.m.
SVreX wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:

Cheaper, stronger, and probably lighter than the T5:

http://www.ebay.com/itm/Chevy-4-Speed-Overdrive-Transmission-A-833-GM-Style-440-MY6-New-Process-Muncie-/262104418981

You can find them cheaper on not-ebay, look for manual 80's diesels.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
2/22/17 4:21 p.m.
RossD wrote: I checked on Jegs and they have listed the 5th gear on a Ford T-5 as 0.63 and the 6th gear on a Chevy T56 as 0.63. Of course 5th gear is also an overdrive at 0.80.

Depends on the application. Some of the T56's are 0.75 5th, and 0.50 6th.

sobe_death
sobe_death HalfDork
2/22/17 4:45 p.m.

I need to follow this thread.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/17 4:49 p.m.

I see the HP.. what's the torque on this wee great beastie?

Bobzilla
Bobzilla UltimaDork
2/22/17 5:01 p.m.

In reply to tuna55:

I'll probably be looking for one of those for the Not.

SyntheticBlinkerFluid
SyntheticBlinkerFluid UltimaDork
2/22/17 5:04 p.m.
mad_machine wrote: I see the HP.. what's the torque on this wee great beastie?

295 ft-lbs

Strike_Zero
Strike_Zero UltraDork
2/22/17 5:11 p.m.

In reply to mad_machine:

For a bone stocker, 285-305 at the crank.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/22/17 7:13 p.m.
Appleseed wrote:
SVreX wrote:
Bobzilla wrote:
T-5's 5th gears is overdrive, too. The T-56 has a double overdrive.

just means you can run a higher ratio rear

1 ... 5 6 7

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YjDTv8ouNvNth5n1SnKBVLW4l82PPixnv3xe1CC1z5LYjs9WcpjTdb8kZPNlMgDO