wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
3/29/24 5:09 p.m.

I just unloaded 3 bikes this week to new owners and have a deposit on a old project car that has been sitting unused. Feels like a huge weight off my shoulders. I love finding rare objects, getting a good deal. But today letting some more stuff go felt much better then tracking it down. Still love wrench most of all on them but have been helping friends more and more then working on my own projects to get that fix. 

You guys happier on the day you sell or buy? 

Jesse Ransom
Jesse Ransom GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/24 5:32 p.m.

Different happies.

One is excitement, the other is relief.

I think excitement is a bigger high, but relief can feel awfully good.

Why do I still have this Ranchero?

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
3/29/24 6:56 p.m.

I have 2 projects that I need gone. I know I will be far more happy the day they go than when I acquired them. 

Peabody
Peabody MegaDork
3/29/24 7:08 p.m.

Yes. 
I like to buy bikes that are ugly and cheap because of it. I clean them up, replace the neglected stuff, ride them, and sell them, usually at a small profit. I enjoy each  part of it equally. 

It is satisfying to purge and start clean from time to time. 

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
3/29/24 8:46 p.m.

The older I get the better it feels to let projects go. Of course I haven't let any go yet but I am getting closer all the time to letting them go. No really, I promise....they are going to go.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/29/24 9:09 p.m.
Peabody said:

Yes. 
I like to buy bikes that are ugly and cheap because of it. I clean them up, replace the neglected stuff, ride them, and sell them, usually at a small profit. I enjoy every part of it equally. 

It is satisfying to purge and start clean from time to time. 

^Totally agree. 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
3/29/24 9:27 p.m.

This is why I don't buy projects cars anymore.

My only rule is the car must be running and driveable.........it doesn't have to be great but it has to drive.

lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter)
lotusseven7 (Forum Supporter) Dork
3/29/24 9:46 p.m.

I'm liquidating a bunch. I've sold 2 project cars in the last 2 months, have a frame and a bunch of parts hopefully going tomorrow afternoon and another being picked up on Tuesday. I just needed the first one to go and that set the mood to clear house. After these there's only 2 more to go and I can concentrate on the ones that I really want to finish and drive. I also decided to get rid of some larger equipment that's been in storage since I moved to the new shop building. I must say, I think I feel better when they leave because I know how much more free time and cash I'll have not finishing them. 

NOHOME
NOHOME MegaDork
3/29/24 10:54 p.m.

There is joy in every project that arrives, but satisfaction when it leaves.

APEowner
APEowner GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
3/29/24 10:58 p.m.

I get attatched to my cars and I always hate to see them go.

Patrick
Patrick GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
3/30/24 11:07 a.m.

I only enjoy moving along the ones that were not good ideas to begin with 

gumby
gumby GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
3/30/24 11:19 a.m.
wearymicrobe said:

Still love wrench[ing] most of all on them but have been helping friends more, and more than working on my own projects, to get that fix. 

I get bored. For a long time that meant bringing home something new to work on. Eventually there were too many to actually accomplish anything. Purging was a relief, but you hafta own before you can sell!

Wrenching on my kids cars now that they are driving age, and doing projects on friends cars, has filled the gottahaveits for me. It now feels good to focus(mostly) on fewer projects of my own.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RZWqZEqPMN3RKVGRY5MSG6AhAUOemN0SE4sUUyYIpDPJr9acjf4S8IYRCNY9DsOj