1 2 3
dculberson
dculberson Reader
2/11/11 10:23 a.m.

Thanks, sorry if I got short with you but it just seemed fishy to me - especially the counter claims once questioned. That's a typical astroturfing tactic.

They're probably not going to go anywhere, most ventures like this fail. It seems silly to use government money to fund a private, for-profit venture, but it happens all the time. Railing against it would make me feel too much like I should be riding a donkey. I pick my battles.

Ohio's doing fine. We never had the absurd highs so our lows aren't that bad. I would hate to be in Vegas right now!!

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/11/11 10:32 a.m.
joejohnson wrote: In reply to dculberson: They 11 employees they have might be good young guys; but young guys without experience will only get burnt, unlike the TECH Industry where you have the Googles and Facebooks. For this venture by young college graduates, are you okay that Space Coast donates millions of dollars of money that could be used elsewhere(not loans) and Government gives funding? You must be working there waiting for your big paycheck soon?..... No bad mouthing guys....just want to make sure that money is given to who deserves it!

I have not heard any actual facts about government "donations" to this company, just theorizing. By the "Space Coast" do you mean Brevard county, the state of Florida, the city of Rockledge or some entity that I'm not aware of?

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/11/11 10:33 a.m.

How do we know who has been backing this company? So far they have a fistfull of people and a hunk of clay. Doesnt sound like any major budget breakers there. I didnt read anywhere in the article that any govt dollars are in this project yet, and it even says hes working out of his daddys woodshed. For all we know, hes getting his bank from his dads back pocket. Space Florida has a board - that doesnt sound like uncle sam, it sounds like a group of old Nasa guys who pooled their severances and decided to go private-tech investing. How far would $500k go toward real design and engineering a car from the ground up? sounds to me its a way for Space-Florida to get their name on this thing at the ground floor.

the guy who hit the nail on the head said: sort of have to question someone's motive for signing up just to bad mouth a small company

I agree wholeheartedly. Tell your boss over at Hyundai America that you were made over on the cool guy forums and you want to go back to counting beans.

jstein77
jstein77 Dork
2/11/11 10:49 a.m.

Having worked for Bob Scaringe gave me an inside view of their modus operandi. I'm afraid Mr. Johnson may be correct; there was always a surplus of optimism and a deficit of reality within that firm when I was there (admittedly a long time ago). I think what Joe was referring to as Nasa funds might be that Mainstream has always subsisted primarily on Nasa subcontracts and R&D's.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/11/11 11:01 a.m.

Its would be different if Uncle Sam were saying "here ya go kiddies, heres free taxpayer dollars. Dont spend it all in one place!". But thats not whats happening. Its not Govt dollars funding this, its Mainstreams money. They can spend it how they see fit. It would be the same as the company you work for getting mad because you used your income to buy a 1989 Chevy Lumina for $35k. Sure its a turd, and it makes no sense, and will be like throwing the money away, but its yours to do with as you see fit. No difference.

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
2/11/11 11:50 a.m.
alfadriver wrote:
Javelin wrote: Funny. I'm from there and my father works at NASA. I can guarantee you NASA didn't give them any money, they don't have any themselves! Also, not to be an ass, but GM and Chrysler both had to be bailed out totally by the US tax payer, and Ford, Honda, Toyota, Mercedes, and BMW all accepted sweetheart loans from their respective governments, which are funded by, well, you know...
We did? When was that? I recall getting massive loans from large banks, though....

Inconvenient truths...

http://www.thenewamerican.com/index.php/economy/markets-mainmenu-45/1290

Ford Motor Company was supposed to be the only major U.S. automaker not in need of a bailout, but this week Ford accepted a $5.9 billion loan subsidy under the Energy Independence and Security Act of 2007 (EISA). The EISA loan is designed to help the auto industry by supporting “capital investments in facilities designed to produce vehicles with greater fuel efficiency and reduced emissions.”

http://www.thetruthaboutcars.com/2010/08/government-loan-guarantees-help-ford-beat-the-debt/

Last week’s US Export-Import Bank loan of $250m was just the latest in a string of government loan guarantees that have helped Ford cut its debt. THe UK government also recently put a $572m guarantee for a $715m European Investment Bank loan to Ford. The EIB has also promised Ford $527.6m to produce cars in Romania. Ford has also taken on $1.8b in low-cost Department of Energy loans this year, on top of last year’s $5.9b DOE “Section 136″ retooling loan. And the help is working

And thus far consumers continue to see Ford as having avoided a bailout. Talk about having your cake and eating it too.

http://www.autoblog.com/2010/08/10/report-ford-using-government-backed-loans-to-pay-off-debt/

http://www.businessweek.com/autos/autobeat/archives/2009/01/yes_ford_needs.html

To hear Ford tell the story, the Dearborn (Mich.) company is the smart one that is getting its house in order and doesn’t need government loans like more troubled rivals General Motors and Chrysler. That’s mostly true. Ford borrowed enough in the open market before the credit markets froze up. But to say that Ford isn’t seeking a big chunk of Federal funds is a bit misleading.

http://uk.reuters.com/article/2008/09/17/autos-loan-ceos-idUKN1753618620080917?rpc=401&

Alan Mulally of Ford and Robert Nardelli of Chrysler said they were encouraged and pleased after pitching the industry's need for $25 billion in low interest financing to help them make more fuel efficient vehicles.

Automakers, strapped for financing due to their poor financial performance and tightening credit markets, want quick action by Congress to approve billions in taxpayer funds needed to activate the loan program for manufacturers and suppliers.

http://rumors.automobilemag.com/almost-in-the-clear-still-in-debt-ford-takes-out-government-loans-4144.html

A closer look at history will reveal that’s only part of the story. Four years after borrowing money as part of a turnaround plan, Ford now finds itself the recipient of government loans to help pay back its initial debt.

On the surface, the situation sounds confusing: How can Ford, which reported $7.3 billion in profit since the end of 2009, still be in debt? And especially after announcing record repayments earlier this summer? According to The Wall Street Journal, Ford’s debt began to accumulate after taking out a $23.5 billion loan. Even with the repayments, Ford’s debt still stands at over $25 billion.

As part of an initiative to elevate its credit rating, Ford has asked for and received debt assistance from the governments of the United States, the United Kingdom, and the European Union. The guarantees come from the Export-Import Bank of the U.S., which recently pledged $250 million, as well as the European Investment Bank. Meanwhile, as Ford began to lessen its debt, the automaker took out a $1.8 billion loan from the U.S. government to advance fuel-efficient technology.

http://jalopnik.com/#!5704575/ford-bmw-toyota-took-secret-government-money

In the depths of the financial collapse, the U.S. Federal Reserve pumped $3.3 trillion into keeping credit moving through the economy. It eventually lent $57.9 billion to the auto industry — including $26.8 billion to Ford, Toyota and BMW.

The Fed on Wednesday was forced to reveal the identity of the companies it aided during the crisis, after contending to Congress that keeping their identities and the details of such lending secret was essential. Much of Wall Street, and corporate giants such as General Electric, Harley Davidson and McDonald's, took advantage of the Fed's help. We've done the math on how the Fed propped up the auto industry.

While Chrysler and General Motors had to go to Congress to beg for cash in 2008, every other automaker's finance arm was having trouble as well. Typically, once they lend money to a buyer, they sell the loan, get the cash upfront, then pump the proceeds back into the business. They also take out short-term loans called commercial paper that keeps the day-to-day business afloat. The crash cut the circuit, raising the chances the automakers couldn't make loans to buyers and keep selling new vehicles.

That's where the Fed stepped in. In normal circumstances, the Fed only lends money to banks, leaving the decisions about who should get credit to them. But when the financial markets started to collapse in late 2008, the Fed set up several programs to lend money directly to corporations, a highly unusual step.

According to the data, from October 2008 through June 2009 the fed bought $45.1 billion in commercial paper from the credit arms of four automakers - Ford, BMW, Chrysler and Toyota - along with GMAC (the former General Motors credit arm). Of those, Ford sold the most, with $15.9 billion.

The Fed also lent $13 billion to investors who bought bonds backed by loans to new car buyers from automakers and banks. The Fed made clear that while investors got the loans, the move was meant to keep the lenders in business; the credit arms of Ford, Chrysler, Nissan, Volkswagen, Honda and Hyundai all benefited directly.

Ford spokeswoman Christin Baker said the two programs addressed systemic failure in the credit markets, and that neither program was designed for a particular company, or even a particular industry. Ford Credit has disclosed through SEC filings and conference calls with media and investors that it was taking part in both programs.

BMW told Bloomberg that the Fed lending "supported our financial profile and offered us an additional funding source, especially at times when the money markets and capital markets did not function properly and efficiently.

According to the Fed, the commercial paper loans have been paid in full, while some $2 billion remains outstanding on loans for bond investors.

The secrecy surrounding the details of the loans only masked how much aid corporate America and Wall Street needed. While General Motors and Chrysler took the brunt of the blowback for relying on government handouts, the reveal of the Fed numbers show that a far bigger slice of the U.S. auto industry needed help.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/11/11 11:57 a.m.

In reply to Javelin:

Interesting.

And interesting that you find so much about eveyrone.

(and do note, the last quote was NOT from me- you may want to change that= fixed)

Javelin
2/11/11 12:10 p.m.

Did I not point out all the other manufacturer's too? Oh wait, I did. Equal-opportunity post. You called me out, and I proved it. Interesting.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/11/11 12:20 p.m.
Javelin wrote: Did I not point out all the other manufacturer's too? Oh wait, I did. Equal-opportunity post. You called me out, and I proved it. Interesting.

As a follow up, reading through Ford's 2009 Annual report (http://corporate.ford.com/doc/2009_annual_report.pdf), it appears that the TLAF funds that were used to sell cars- since normal sources of credit were not opening up. Not to prop up the company, but to allow the credit arms of the companies have some credit to allow them to sell cars.

The DOE funding was a different program...

Not the same as what Avera is allegedly getting.

joejohnson
joejohnson New Reader
2/11/11 12:31 p.m.

In reply to Entropyman:

Here it says Space coast agrees to purchase the prototype for $500k. The truth is Space Coast (Brevard County) gave $2 Million to the company after they were influenced by Congressmen....They built a vehicle in Detroit with $500k of the money and the vehicle has used BMW engine, PT, exhaust, suspension etc. with their new exterior concept design. This is what I heard from a relaible source in the company they built the vehicle...I do not want to mention any names.

Why does NASA want to test the vehicle when they already know that all the suspension, bushings, brackets and PT is from a BMW??? All are for some publicity stunts.

http://www.tcpalm.com/news/2010/jun/28/space-florida-invests-in-avera-motors-energy-car/?partner=RSS

Buying the vehicle from Avera for $500k is just they way they show the account! Remaining $1.5 million is going for their salaries (of 8-11 employees I believe) and their business tripe to Washington DC. I am sure that Space Coast money could have been used wisely!

Mainstream gave the initial funding in 2009 and 2010. Then it was the Space Coast and they are running out of that. Next they are going for Government funding as private Investors expect a alot of return and they don't loan if there are no real working prototypes, unlike the GOVT.

TuffWork
TuffWork Reader
2/11/11 12:35 p.m.
joejohnson wrote: I live in Cape Caneveral, FL

Then why did you spell Cape Canaveral wrong?

joejohnson
joejohnson New Reader
2/11/11 12:45 p.m.

In reply to TuffWork:

I probably misspelt Government and few other words. Sorry I did not have a spell checker dude!

One more thing, if they want to be successful using daddy's Mainstream funding or by Private Investors I wish them all the luck and best wishes. If they use Space Coast money and Government money, I may have to point that out...

Entropyman
Entropyman GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/11/11 2:01 p.m.

Wouldn't be the first time this county has been led down the golden path. Thanks for the info.

TuffWork
TuffWork Reader
2/11/11 2:25 p.m.

I'm just a constant skeptic, but unless yours works differently you get a red line under misspelled words as soon as you hit the space bar. I just figured if you lived in a place you would at least know how to spell it first try.

Indeed, I caught "Goivernment" as well, I just like to nit pick.

Also, we had some guy come along like you on my landscaping forum. He was new to the board, and made a bunch of false claims. Eventually, with enough research, it was proven who he was. Someone even managed to get a Google Earth shot of the guy's house. It was honestly kinda creepy how he was humiliated.

Javelin
2/11/11 2:34 p.m.

TuffWork: I have the auto spell-check also when using Firefox, but it does not work with Internet Explorer.

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/11/11 2:35 p.m.
TuffWork wrote: I'm just a constant skeptic, but unless yours works differently you get a red line under misspelled words as soon as you hit the space bar. I just figured if you lived in a place you would at least know how to spell it first try.

Mine doesn't.

Maybe I should be able to using IE*, but am not sure how to.

I should use Chrome to surf this site.

Not that it should end your healthy skeptisim...

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/11/11 2:36 p.m.
Javelin wrote: TuffWork: I have the auto spell-check also when using Firefox, but it does not work with Internet Explorer.

Holy cow- we agree on someting???

TuffWork
TuffWork Reader
2/11/11 2:51 p.m.

I quit using internet explorer a year or two ago when I tried chrome and realized it was ten times faster with the same connection. I guess I just assume everyone else has had the same epiphany.

Glad I could add something to what appears to be very much a thread gone awry.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
2/11/11 2:58 p.m.
TuffWork wrote: I quit using internet explorer a year or two ago when I tried chrome and realized it was ten times faster with the same connection. I guess I just assume everyone else has had the same epiphany. Glad I could add something to what appears to be very much a thread gone awry.

Are you saying that this "Thread" has Un-raveled... ?

I would like to see a smaller start-up with fresh ideas...

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury SuperDork
2/11/11 3:51 p.m.
Chebbie_SB wrote: I would like to see a smaller start-up with fresh ideas...

agreed...especially when Diesel or Turbo Diesel is involved...

Tom Heath
Tom Heath Web Manager
2/11/11 3:56 p.m.
Javelin wrote: TuffWork: I have the auto spell-check also when using Firefox, but it does not work with Internet Explorer.

One more reason that IE is the Devil's work. I hate it.

I feel terrible for the poor souls forced to use it at work.

Javelin
2/11/11 3:58 p.m.

How do you think I knew the differnce?

alfadriver
alfadriver SuperDork
2/11/11 5:24 p.m.
4cylndrfury wrote:

If the fresh ideas lead to something, I'm sure OEM's would be very interested.

Chebbie_SB
Chebbie_SB HalfDork
2/11/11 5:40 p.m.
alfadriver wrote:
4cylndrfury wrote:
If the fresh ideas lead to something, I'm sure OEM's would be very interested.

The question is whether Big Oil or USA Motors would ever let it see the light of day...

Timeormoney
Timeormoney Reader
2/11/11 11:41 p.m.

In reply to joejohnson:

Troll often?

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
WFCnY9cAIcxFwvkHHbWDj1T9DQdtieztudHQfuWwgU2N9AN3ipZpVVytpOvb6Mok