1 2 3 4
mndsm
mndsm MegaDork
8/31/17 10:19 p.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: 2.12 In Minnesota.

Thats interesting considering usially its 10-15 cents more there than here and you're 35 cents cheaper right now.

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
8/31/17 11:16 p.m.
z31maniac wrote:
carguy123 wrote: We are running out of gas here. My daughter counted 38 people in line ahead of her because this was the only gas station with gas. Not only is the area hard hit, but so are the workers so no one can get to work. Texas is much more than 13%. I have a family member in that biz in Oklahoma. At the moment that pipeline is the only one putting gas into the state. It's going to get worse before it gets better. And gas did hit 2.35 today - at the stations that had gas. QT is shutting off every other pump to slow it down.
You may be confusing the OIL pipeline coming out of the depot in Cushing with GASOLINE. Approx 20% of all oil in the country gets routed through Cushing. As for refinery capacity, OK only accounts for about 3% of national refining capacity.

Here let me quote her exactly:

I hate to sound like a know it all but as someone who works for one of three pipelines that moves gas into the DFW area, this isnt caused by panic. Maybe it has been worsened by fear but the reality is refineries at the gulf are down. Pipelines that move gas from refineries into various markets are down. We are currently pumping a fraction of our normal volume because tanks and pump stations are filled with water. I sent all my family a message Monday telling them to fill up and not drive much this week. Unfortunately, supply is minimal right now and the largest refinery in the US is not looking to restart for at least a few days. Good news, everyone in the industry is working overtime to get things up and running to help end the shortage.

And in response to someone else:

it caused more shortage than intended but 1. refined products pipelines are not governed by the RRC 2. what you are seeing is not long term supply issue but a short term outage. 3. currently the only way to supply Dallas gas is with trucks from a tulsa refinery, small volumes on our line, and a small reversal on another pipeline from ok to tx. Overall, gas supply has been cut by 80%+. Good news though, it wont last long. We just sent a crew to get us back up and running today. Koch is looking to restart soon. This one though is just a direct outcome of Harvey

former520
former520 HalfDork
8/31/17 11:50 p.m.

Our Dallas office has issued a work from home for the next few days citing gas issues. I have to imagine they are not the only ones. Hope hospitals are gearing up for the 2018 post flood baby boom.

rob_lewis
rob_lewis UltraDork
9/1/17 3:15 a.m.

2:00 a.m. and I couldn't sleep. Tried to get gas for the truck earlier and everywhere around here was out. Decided to start driving north since I can't sleep and found a station with premium and diesel. Went ahead and filled the truck with premium and filled a 5 gallon race jug just in case.

Kinda weird to see all these stations with no fuel.

-Rob

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/1/17 5:42 a.m.

In reply to mndsm:

Costco.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce MegaDork
9/1/17 6:33 a.m.

In reply to carguy123:

Thanks for the info. It's been interesting watching futures jump as the extent of the damage and shutdowns becomes known.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/1/17 7:12 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote: In reply to mndsm: Costco.

I filled up at Costco yesterday for 209.9. Everywhere else was 250.9ish.

gearheadmb
gearheadmb Dork
9/1/17 8:21 a.m.

I wonder if the gas stations in the effected area are out of gas, or if they got water in their tanks. That hapoens around here when we get flooding.

trigun7469
trigun7469 SuperDork
9/1/17 8:37 a.m.

In reply to iceracer:

Texas is the leading crude oil-producer in the nation, accounting for 22 percent of crude oil production in the U.S. The oil industry is responsible for 1.8 million jobs in Texas and as of 2008, it brought in 9.9 billion dollars in taxes and royalties.

https://stateimpact.npr.org/texas/tag/oil-production-in-texas/

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
9/1/17 10:17 a.m.
spitfirebill wrote:

same experience here. Costco is still with the pre event prices... Others are 250 ish

NEALSMO
NEALSMO UberDork
9/1/17 11:19 a.m.

I paid $3.10 for premium the other day, and that's just normal prices in SoCal.

spitfirebill
spitfirebill UltimaDork
9/1/17 11:53 a.m.
Fueled by Caffeine wrote:
spitfirebill wrote:
same experience here. Costco is still with the pre event prices... Others are 250 ish

The fuel tanker was filling up their tanks when I pulled in. I bet it went up with that load.

crankwalk
crankwalk GRM+ Memberand Dork
9/1/17 5:06 p.m.

Haven't paid less than $2.75 all summer.

I wonder if we will stay isolated from this from our refinery on the Kenai.

Good luck getting back to normal soon TX. Even for the folks with no damage, not having food , gas, or having a job to go to sucks.

759NRNG
759NRNG Dork
9/1/17 7:27 p.m.

So I was at Kroger(shell gas) today and had to put 87(no prem, no mid grd, no diesel) in the 'V' went straight to AZone and bought a qt of 108 octane booster .... if I don't romp it will I be OK, or do I need another qt of booster?

irish44j
irish44j UltimaDork
9/1/17 7:51 p.m.
NEALSMO wrote: I paid $3.10 for premium the other day, and that's just normal prices in SoCal.

waits for someone who lives in Europe to chime in lol...

carguy123
carguy123 UltimaDork
9/1/17 10:48 p.m.

$2.94 for premium SUCKS big time!!

$20 for a half of tank in the S2000. Oh well I had fun using it up.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/2/17 9:20 a.m.

In reply to 759NRNG:

Most of those off the shelf octane boosters don't do a whole heck of a lot. From what I can find, a quart of a lot of the typical ones might get you to 88 octane at best, maybe 88.5 with the bit of 93 that would have been left over in the tank...

If you're worried about it, head to the hardware store and pick up a gallon of tolulene and add it to the tank. It's about 114 octane, so it'll perk up the rest of the fuel quite a bit. It looks like a 2nd gen CTS-V has an 18 gal tank, so a gallon of tolulene will get you up to just about 90 octane, figuring there was a bit of 93 left in the tank when you filled up plus the effect of the octane boost you've already added.

Or if you have a station around that has E85, add 2 - 3 gallons of that to the tank.

Or if the cheapest option is the octane boost you already bought, add another quart or 2.

I'm not sure how much timing the knock sensor in the V will pull, so I dunno if it'll run safely on 87 (with some power reduction) or not. If you're light on the throttle, it'll probably be ok.

Seeing talk of only being able to get 87 makes me think that I should always keep the laptop and tuning gear close at hand any time there's an event that might disrupt fuel supply (or if traveling far from home). No knock sensor on the Jeep, so to safely run it on less than 91, I'd have to whip up a tune with the timing cut back enough to keep it from pinging.

BrokenYugo
BrokenYugo MegaDork
9/2/17 10:05 a.m.

In reply to rslifkin:

No way would GM sell you a car that would hurt itself burning 87, I bet it even says you can do so in an emergency in the owner's manual. Tolulene would certainly put it right though. Or just putter around to a quarter tank and fill it up with 93, that'd put the tank above the minimum required 91.

iceracer
iceracer UltimaDork
9/2/17 11:37 a.m.

I wonder how much gas is used looking for gas ?

oldrotarydriver
oldrotarydriver New Reader
9/2/17 12:50 p.m.
iceracer wrote: I wonder how much gas is used looking for gas ?

Let your smartphone and other people look for you:

https://www.gasbuddy.com/

The pillaging has commenced around here, since we're the main drag to Ocean City MD AND it's Labor Day weekend, which normally jacks prices 5-10 ct./gal. This week has been rotten; we started at $2.16/gal for 87 octane, now at $2.70 with the day only 1/2 over. I specify that, because the gas station down by my place of work was at $2.35 Thursday night, $2.47 at dawn Friday, and $2.68 at lunch.

Crackers
Crackers HalfDork
9/2/17 3:01 p.m.
carguy123 wrote: Maybe in your part of the world, but we need our trucks in Texas!! And my truck gets as good a gas mileage as most cars.

IDK about that. I'd say 95% or more of day to day commuting travel can still be done in an Prius.

I'm considering making my next work vehicle a Ford Transit despite the fact almost all my travel destinations are in rural/agricultural areas.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/2/17 3:17 p.m.
BrokenYugo wrote: In reply to rslifkin: No way would GM sell you a car that would hurt itself burning 87, I bet it even says you can do so in an emergency in the owner's manual.

I wouldn't count on that. There have definitely been cars sold that need 91+ and cannot safely run on less (and say so in the manual).

I did some searching and found an excerpt from the CTS-V manual. It says not to use less than 91, 93 is preferred. In an emergency, use 87, but be light on the throttle, no WOT and expect to hear spark knock. And refill with 91+ ASAP.

That tells me it may not be able to pull enough timing on 87 to actually run safely.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
9/2/17 3:36 p.m.
John Welsh wrote: I did a customized compare on fueleconomy.gov Assuming: regular at $2.36 and premium at $2.86 To drive the Montero 15k miles = $3,050 To drive the Prius 15k miles = $750 Montero is $2,300 more expensive Assuming: regular at $3.36 and premium at $3.86 To drive the Montero 15k miles = $4,150 To drive the Prius 15k miles = $1,100 Montero is $3,050 more expensive Assuming: regular at $4.36 and premium at $4.86 To drive the Montero 15k miles = $5,200 To drive the Prius 15k miles = $1,400 Montero is $3,800 more expensive

That's just the gas.

Tires are more expensive for the Montero... brakes are more expensive for the Montero (Prius may never need pads)...oil changes more expensive on the Montero...

Virtually all maintenance is gonna be more expensive on the Montero.

ChrisR
ChrisR New Reader
9/2/17 5:50 p.m.

Nor-Cal here. 40 miles north of San Fran., couple days into the storm, premium was 3.19 and on the way home yesterday was 3.49. Have not been out yet today but would not be suprised to see higher prices. I guess our local stations don't buy their gas from the eastbay refineries (that are only 20 miles away...how does that work)? I swear, anytime that something, anything happens, no matter how small...(not saying that this storm was small mind you), that's gas related, the stations around here have no problems raising prices.

rslifkin
rslifkin SuperDork
9/2/17 6:57 p.m.

Looks like prices are now starting to climb here in upstate NY. Not every station yet, but it's looking like a 25 - 30 cent jump.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
QBgB3BGe3cgKoCzDm30vSJEsaJccxTfcFkExKJYoH5Mf9lJllEn35Pruef3pErx1