Lennyseleven
Lennyseleven New Reader
7/21/08 12:16 a.m.

Just curious about how reasonable or unreasonable part prices are for mid 70s Mercedes?

thanks

HappyAndy
HappyAndy New Reader
7/21/08 12:39 a.m.

very unreasonable IMO. I had a '72 250 sedan that needed a re-ring and parts alone were over $650 for oem about 5 years ago. I did find a place in cali that had german aftermarket for alot less, but still to much to make it worth while to me. I donated the car to a charity and got a signifigant tax deduction instead.

Evan_R
Evan_R New Reader
7/21/08 1:57 a.m.

Pretty high. Part of the reason is that there aren't a lot of aftermarket companies producing parts, as Mercedes is a relatively low-volume car. Part of the problem iis that Mercedes famously over-engineers their cars.

I had a 77 240D/4-speed for a while. The parts from the aftermarket were just as reasonable as any other Eurpoean car. The parts you can only get OE will kill ya.

ddavidv
ddavidv SuperDork
7/21/08 6:07 a.m.

BMW does a much better job (oem and aftermarket both) of supplying parts at mostly reasonable prices than M-B or Audi.

Dr. Hess
Dr. Hess SuperDork
7/21/08 8:42 a.m.

I got rid of my 72 220D ten years ago. At that time, parts really weren't too bad directly from the dealer when I factored in my 15% "discount" for being a "shop" and any shipping charges from a mail order place. I understand that they had a history of gouging the people and MB cracked down on the dealerships and put a stop to it. I could buy OEM stuff at the dealer for about the same as the aftermarket places. Of course, certain things were high, like pistons, but with a Diesel they are high no matter what make and the machine shop I used bought them for me cheaper than I could get them and the manufacturer was the same one that makes them for MB.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
LUvOSSZtyl5MjvG83O1JmgsBtKtTWuEpyqSz6JjDKYpLUr7lHV12iNsezXisRDJw