ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
9/12/23 8:44 a.m.

https://www.youtube.com/embed/leVQgtXPfi0?si=7ZxC3W8oBxkJ2R9d

The Chevrolet C8 Corvette Z51 has long been the fastest production car to lap our official test track, the Florida International Rally & Motorsport Park, but a new challenger has arrived: The C8 Corvette Z06.

How much faster is the Z06? You’ll have to watch the video to find out.

Presented by CRC Industries.

Watch more videos

ChrisTropea
ChrisTropea Associate Editor
9/12/23 11:36 a.m.

It was crazy seeing this car go by on track while filming. It was even crazier looking at the GoPro footage when I sat down to edit this to see how fast it looked on camera. I am excited to see what we can get on track to compete with the ZO6's lap time at the FIRM.

fusion66
fusion66 Reader
9/12/23 12:22 p.m.

Watching the in car footage it feels like 1.2x playback speed  - very impressive lap time indeed.

ConiglioRampante
ConiglioRampante Reader
9/12/23 12:25 p.m.

Thanks for another good review and walking us through the data.

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/12/23 1:14 p.m.

Y'all i can't really overstate how easy to drive this car was. yes you have to adjust your perspective a bit because stuff is happening really fast, but at least on this day at this track, the thing just has no real bad habits. And I can honestly look at that data and see a couple tenths worth of driver error there as well. Then spot me a tenth for the fact we were borrowing a reader's $150,000 sports car and running laps in it while he was TOTALLY SITTING RIGHT THERE and you've got a bone stock car deep into the 1:12s before you even throw an alignment on it. 

goonthree
goonthree GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/12/23 2:13 p.m.

in the winter time probably be 0.5s faster!

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe PowerDork
9/12/23 2:15 p.m.

That is a monster delta between the Z51 and the Z06. Wen I had the C8 all I could think about is just how good it made you look as a driver at speed. 

I would argue that there is a good bit left in that car with a good alignment and some very small modifications and the car will just keep flattering you, has anybody tried slicks yet and how it works and interacts with all the electronics. 

fidelity101
fidelity101 UberDork
9/12/23 2:17 p.m.

I want to see the Z06 against the Z51 and then compare that to the E-Ray and then compare those to whatevers next. ultimate corvette showdown. 

just throw in a C6 z06 as a baseline if you will...

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
9/12/23 5:31 p.m.

Did the Z06 stay cool during multiple hot laps?  The Z51 struggles there.  Otherwise it's an amazingly impressive car, can't wait to try the Z06

goonthree
goonthree GRM+ Memberand New Reader
9/12/23 8:12 p.m.

In reply to fidelity101 :

I passed on eray allocation because it is useless on track.  I track the plaid and will reduce power within couple laps and plaid battery is 50x bigger making 1020 hp and eray motor is making 160 and lose power on 1/4 mi run.  after couple laps you be carrying the battery and motor around!  eray should be a great daily and great for 1 lap best time.  

jstein77
jstein77 UberDork
9/12/23 10:26 p.m.

In reply to goonthree :

The E-ray was not intended for track work. That's the purview of the Z06 and the even crazier upcoming Zora.

deaconblue
deaconblue New Reader
9/13/23 6:30 p.m.

Two questions. 

1) Was that a base Z06 or one with the Z07 package?

Pretty freaking amazing time when you consider the heavily modified and full prepare GRMS C5 Z06 project car lapped the Firm at 1:13.7 and this C8 Z06 dipped into the 1:12's with the showroom stock; alignment, tires and brake pads.

2) By the way what were you using as a camera chase car?

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
9/13/23 9:04 p.m.
deaconblue said:

Two questions. 

1) Was that a base Z06 or one with the Z07 package?

Pretty freaking amazing time when you consider the heavily modified and full prepare GRMS C5 Z06 project car lapped the Firm at 1:13.7 and this C8 Z06 dipped into the 1:12's with the showroom stock; alignment, tires and brake pads.

2) By the way what were you using as a camera chase car?

1. Z07 package, with the carbon brakes and carbon wheels. All the goodies.

2. Chris' Nissan truck. The car-to-car stuff is shot at like 20-30mph tops, but it looks surprisingly fast, doesn't it?

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
9/19/23 12:46 p.m.

Look for project updates on the DIY camera car here, by the way. Much more to come, including Chris’s custom camera rig. 

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/24/24 9:36 p.m.

I hope the brakes and trans on the Z06 are better than on my 2022 Z51. In less than 5,000 miles we have replaced two sets of rotors and one trans. A single track day warped the rotors beyond safe usage, despite the additional cooling ducts and step-by-step track prep. Also, good lu8ck finding OEM pad sets.

SKJSS (formerly Klayfish)
SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) UltimaDork
3/25/24 9:51 a.m.

Yes, those are the weak points on the C8.  Transmission can't stand up to repeated track use. 

DaleCarter
DaleCarter GRM+ Memberand Reader
3/25/24 8:26 p.m.

In reply to SKJSS (formerly Klayfish) :It makes sense when you realize that the metallurgy of rotors is such new science. DCTs, too.

That's sarcasm, BTW :-)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
MTzzu1cCnyLIBa966d6bZ7o1PIkY59Ejd5Mm3gXgBEiFfyhpQOsl8eOjXqzY07Fc