1 2 3
J.A. Ackley
J.A. Ackley Senior Editor
8/22/24 3:27 p.m.
feature_image

Hagerty values a 1991 Honda CRX Si in concours condition at $37,000. With six days left on the Bring a Trailer auction, the highest bid for this example sits at $33,500. Hagerty’s mark doesn’t seem too far off. In fact, could this CRX exceed Hagerty’s #1 value?

It very well could, because it’s got all the right stuff. This CRX …

Read the rest of the story

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
8/22/24 3:46 p.m.

That one does look new. I want to say I paid like $3000 for mine in 1996 or so. 

David S. Wallens
8/22/24 3:47 p.m.

Although if only this red one was an ’88....

Colin Wood
Colin Wood Associate Editor
8/22/24 3:48 p.m.

Considering it's on Bring a Trailer–which sometimes generates sales that skew values–I wouldn't be surprised if it goes over $50,000. (Okay, maybe I'd be a little surprised.)

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/22/24 5:15 p.m.

I'd want to see verification of that mileage.  It is cake to swap out gauge clusters on these cars, and also to spin up the odo.

And if it is legit, it means that has sat for extended periods of time...which is never good for a car.

There's a guy that does ground-up restos on these cars.  I'd rather have one of those.  And while his are expensive, they are nowhere near $30K+

Pete. (l33t FS)
Pete. (l33t FS) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/24 8:01 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

I'd want to see verification of that mileage.  It is cake to swap out gauge clusters on these cars, and also to spin up the odo.

And if it is legit, it means that has sat for extended periods of time...which is never good for a car.

There's a guy that does ground-up restos on these cars.  I'd rather have one of those.  And while his are expensive, they are nowhere near $30K+

You don't buy these to drive, you buy them to rub with a diaper smiley  Originality is worth more than drivability, otherwise cars with light (yet tasteful) modifications wouldn't depreciate horribly.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/22/24 8:47 p.m.
Andy Hollis said:

Got a website for him? Purely for research purposes. 

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/22/24 10:04 p.m.
jimbob_racing said:
Andy Hollis said:

Got a website for him? Purely for research purposes. 

I do not, but he posts regularly on the Honda CRX Community FB group.

I searched around a little for a name and came up empty.

honda33
honda33 New Reader
8/23/24 3:31 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

Just throwing it out there but ....I have been thinking of selling my one owner 88 Si in y-49 yellow. All stock except for the radio and there was a car alarm installed at some point (since disabled but it was there) 

I just can't bring myself to throw it on an auction site and sell to an unknown person. 

No Time
No Time UberDork
8/23/24 4:18 p.m.
Colin Wood said:

Considering it's on Bring a Trailer–which sometimes generates sales that skew values–I wouldn't be surprised if it goes over $50,000. (Okay, maybe I'd be a little surprised.)

Reaching a new record probably depends on how much money needs to be laundered in August. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
8/23/24 4:33 p.m.

$36,000 bid and still 5 days to go. I thought that $50K guesstimate was implausible....maybe not.

jimbob_racing
jimbob_racing SuperDork
8/23/24 6:22 p.m.
honda33 said:
David S. Wallens said:

Just throwing it out there but ....I have been thinking of selling my one owner 88 Si in y-49 yellow. All stock except for the radio and there was a car alarm installed at some point (since disabled but it was there) 

I just can't bring myself to throw it on an auction site and sell to an unknown person. 

Go on.

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/23/24 7:07 p.m.
jimbob_racing said:
honda33 said:
David S. Wallens said:

Go on.

Yes, please tell. Yellow is the hotness...

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/23/24 10:07 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

Yes, please tell. Yellow is the hotness...

Uhh...not really ==> https://www.hagerty.com/media/car-profiles/the-curse-of-the-yellow-crx/

secretariata (Forum Supporter)
secretariata (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
8/24/24 11:12 a.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

I don't believe in Bigfoot, Nessie or the Bermuda Triangle. Not putting much stock in the Y49 Curse either... laugh

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/24/24 2:36 p.m.
secretariata (Forum Supporter) said:

In reply to Andy Hollis :

I don't believe in Bigfoot, Nessie or the Bermuda Triangle. Not putting much stock in the Y49 Curse either... laugh

While we've gotten plenty of EF hatches and sedans over the years, only CRX I ever saw in our local pick n' pull was a Y49.

honda33
honda33 New Reader
8/24/24 10:41 p.m.

This is my second y-49 and I've lost count of the number of EFs in total. But it's by far the cleanest one I have seen in many, many years. Bought and resided in New Mexico it's whole life and garage kept. 268k miles but it doesn't show at all.  

Slippery
Slippery GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/24/24 10:53 p.m.

In reply to honda33 :

Was the driver's front fender repainted?

CrustyRedXpress
CrustyRedXpress GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/25/24 1:35 p.m.

I like the yellow one a lot because the mileage is high enough that nobody will care if you swap in a red-topped B16. Period-appropriate modifications would be perfect.

Wasn't a certain Editorial Director was just mentioning that he missed his CRX?

honda33
honda33 New Reader
8/25/24 1:45 p.m.

In reply to Slippery :

Nope, just the way the sun is hitting it. 

J.A. Ackley
8/26/24 9:35 a.m.

Current bid: $40K. surprise  2 days to go.

J.A. Ackley
8/27/24 10:16 a.m.

One day left. $41K. Has it peaked or will it just escalate in the closing hours?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
8/27/24 11:37 a.m.

In reply to J.A. Ackley :

My guess is mid 50s as crazy as that sounds.

David S. Wallens
8/28/24 9:19 a.m.

Still at $41. Do I hear $45?

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
8/28/24 9:25 a.m.

Gotta love the one guy bitching about the fender replacement

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
wQEWtT0xrhBQ6tKx3hzJDmNO0gZhXwWKjsPPp6KmNIHt0jqmjMNOrgRBoqxm5Ngv