1 2 3
roninsoldier83
roninsoldier83 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
8/30/24 9:29 a.m.
Andy Hollis said:

Since 1988, I've always owned at least one 2nd-gen CRX, as many as three, and usually two (which is the case now).

One of which is what I consider to be the ultimate combination...CRX with Type R drivetrain swap.  And a JDM version, to boot.  So you get a 9K rpm VTEC kicking motor in the lighter, shorter wheelbase chassis.  And that's the beauty of those golden era Hondas -- Lego style parts mix and match.

As for whether the car in question is worth $40K...not to me.  I like cars I can drive, and it's just not going to deliver what I want in a modern car.  My ND2 Miata is way better at that.

I've actually followed your One Lap CRX build on FB for quite a while now (I started when I was building my CRX lol)! I wondered if you preferred the B18C5 over the K-series swap? Super cool build to watch- I really liked the rear splined sway bar through the chassis idea. 

I agree about the Lego-Honda building being one of the best parts of old school Honda ownership. Although of my old wishbone Honda's my favorite to drive was my EK hatch. It was the only one with enough headroom to comfortably fit my bigger frame (6'2", 217 lbs if I lay off the cheesecake). With my CRX Si, to fit with a helmet, I had to bolt an aluminum Kirkey to the floor and run a deep dished steering wheel to get the ergonomics right. 

I built my CRX to run STS and while fun, that thing was a handful on track/course lol. It was partly my fault- I likely made the build a bit too tail happy- I've never spun a car so much in my life! From a driving perspective, I preferred the more stable nature of the longer wheelbase DC2 and EK- but the CRX was fun! If I was going to build another golden era Honda I would likely start with an EG or EK hatch- with my EK I felt like I got 90% of the lightweight fun factor of CRX, but with vastly more headroom, improved ergonomics, power steering and improved suspension geometry (I know they changed the rear of later CRX's, but my 1988 Si was sketchy at the limit!). 

We're on the same page with not being able to justify $40k for a CRX. I'm also a big fan of the ND Miata, but unfortunately, I just can't get comfortable driving it- I'm just a wee bit too big, which is the main reason I don't own one and why I still have an AP2 S2000 in the garage- that car fits me like a glove! Either way, if I fit, for $40k, there's no way I would buy a CRX over an ND2/3 (or an S2000, for similar reasons). 

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones UltraDork
8/30/24 9:30 a.m.
Flynlow said:

.  But man, $40K is a tough pill to swallow for a CRX.  It's a great car, no doubt, but that's real money.

Is $26k real money? That's what it originally sold for in 2024 money. n0t was not a cheap car new when you look at it. It was close to 2x a civic hatchback

roninsoldier83
8/30/24 10:14 a.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Is $26k real money? That's what it originally sold for in 2024 money. n0t was not a cheap car new when you look at it. It was close to 2x a civic hatchback

While I can't speak for this 1991 model (I can't recall all the changes made over the years), I can say that I absolutely would not pay $26k for a brand new version of my former 1988 CRX Si today. That car didn't come with power steering, A/C was a dealer installed option, no ABS, no cruise control, no safety features to speak of, a fairly slow steering rack (by necessity due to no P/S), rear drum brakes (to be fair, the later cars did get discs), an open front diff, and a relatively uninspiring 1.6L SOHC non-VTEC D16 economy-car engine making either 105hp or 108hp, depending on model year. If you plan on driving it, for today's money, a new ND3 starts at $28,985 and it's considerably more car for the money in every respect- including fun factor, in my opinion. 

For half the price, I would have taken the Civic hatch and built it to my own liking! When I sold my CRX, I ended up with an EK hatch and a DC2 GS-R, both of which I thought were more car for the money (which were essentially built on updated/improved versions of the same wishbone FWD chassis). But to each their own. 

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
8/30/24 1:52 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:
Flynlow said:

.  But man, $40K is a tough pill to swallow for a CRX.  It's a great car, no doubt, but that's real money.

There's a difference between a new from the OEM car with a warranty/parts support and a low mile 30+ year old car that you can't get wheel bearings/hubs/other NLA parts for even though it's, "like new".

I would consider ~$25k for a new from the manufacturer with a warranty CRX Si, yes.  Also dc-2 gsr, aw11/sw20 mr2, 8th gen civic si, etc. while i'm making a wish list.  And if wishes were horses, we'd all ride....not sure it's as relevant as the real-word comparison I posted.  I can make that choice today.   

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/30/24 7:30 p.m.
roninsoldier83 said:

I've actually followed your One Lap CRX build on FB for quite a while now (I started when I was building my CRX lol)! I wondered if you preferred the B18C5 over the K-series swap?

The B18 is more "pure" in the sense that it was contemporary to the CRX.  The K24 came much later.  And they are very different motors.  These are stock-internals motors...not built.

Which would you rather drive?

roninsoldier83
8/30/24 7:46 p.m.

In reply to Andy Hollis :

K24. I wouldn't have to think twice. I would happily give up 1000rpm worth of revs for ~30whp and nearly ~60wtq (that's massive!). 

I've owned x2 S2000's. Both have been AP2's (bigger 2.2L F22C vs AP1's 2.0L F20C). As much fun as the AP1's 9000rpm redline was, I preferred the extra mid-range of the bigger AP2 motor. When given the option, I pretty much always prefer the bigger displacement option- I felt the same way about my old 1.6L vs 1.8L NA Miata's. 

As a former B18 owner, I think the B-series and the S2000's F-series make glorious noises, giving them a ton of character... but if given a no-cost option, K24 all day! 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/30/24 9:36 p.m.

In reply to Steve_Jones :

"Close to 2x a Civic hatchback" is a bit of a stretch.

I worked at a Honda dealership in 1989. My Civic Si had an MSRP of $10,225 before AC, radio and mats. I think a similar CRX Si was $11,400. Admittedly, that extra $1200 (plus the insurance surcharge on a two seater) was absolutely not an option for me at the time.

The Civic hatch was available in three trim levels: Base, DX and Si. I think the base model had an MSRP of $6995, but it was a total stripper: Vinyl seats, four speed manual, one mirror, really thin carpet, no cargo cover, no tach and, I think, 64 hp. Jumping up to the DX was over $8000. I think I only saw two base models the whole time that I was there, and there was absolutely no discount on them because there was no profit in them. MSRP was about $400 over cost. 

Not that anything with an Si badge was plentiful, but they were available. A better comparison would be a DX or Si hatch vs. the CRX. There's less of a gap, but you also need to recognize that driveway Honda engine swaps were still a few years away. There had been a few 115 hp Integra swaps into the previous generation cars, but donor engines and swap info were hard to come by.

By the summer of 1989, we had one leftover 1988 CRX HF (8v, 62 hp) demo in the showroom, and I think it was listed for $8888.

The CRX DX five speed was the sweet spot for me. Super light and lots of fun. That's a car that I'd like to own today.

roninsoldier83
8/30/24 10:14 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I never drove a CRX DX, but if I was forced to buy another CRX it wouldn't be an Si, if for no other reason than to avoid the headroom stealing, weight adding, center of gravity raising moonroof. Fitting with a helmet would have been a much easier proposition in a base, HF or DX. 

Rant: it has always driven me nuts that Honda insists on putting a damn moonroof in most of their "sporty" cars- pretty much anything with an Si or GS-R badge is saddled with one! Sure, the Type R's are all slick tops, but for most people they're more like unobtainium devices than realistic cars you might find locally for an affordable price. /rant

Andy Hollis
Andy Hollis
8/31/24 7:01 a.m.
roninsoldier83 said:

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

I never drove a CRX DX, but if I was forced to buy another CRX it wouldn't be an Si, if for no other reason than to avoid the headroom stealing, weight adding, center of gravity raising moonroof. Fitting with a helmet would have been a much easier proposition in a base, HF or DX. 

Rant: it has always driven me nuts that Honda insists on putting a damn moonroof in most of their "sporty" cars- pretty much anything with an Si or GS-R badge is saddled with one! Sure, the Type R's are all slick tops, but for most people they're more like unobtainium devices than realistic cars you might find locally for an affordable price. /rant

DX dual-point motor was gutless...I had one.  And the transmission had longer gears.

To your second point, the pinnacle of CRX was the JDM SiR model, with B16 VTEC motor (yo!) and fixed glass moon roof.

And these SiR's come up on the JDM auction sites on a regular basis in solid condition...for way less than $40K.  But all are RHD.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ZFohMi1xZJC8YKC8e9HZ7aGgmrqYsA41FXlh73lRlo1Mh7isQlY3twFjBsyzwRdw