1 2
_
_ Reader
11/6/18 3:43 p.m.

What kinda PSI do these make? Could it be used to huck like 5psi into the intake manifold? 

Dusterbd13
Dusterbd13 MegaDork
11/6/18 3:44 p.m.

This is the first ive heard of this. But now i absolutely HAVE to know. 

_
_ Reader
11/6/18 3:49 p.m.

There are some applications where you can take an old smog pump and connect it to a belt driven system and it does produce some psi. I know the DIY go cart people do it and actually make power, supposedly

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
11/6/18 3:49 p.m.

It's an idea i've read some about, it has been a while since i've heard it, but basically they dont put out near the volume you'd need to make any noticeable difference, probably less then a leaf blower strapped to the intake like the roadkill guys did, and you've probably seen what it took them to get any real noticeable difference.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/18 3:52 p.m.

Cooter
Cooter Dork

It's not going to move enough air to be worth it. 

alfadriver
alfadriver MegaDork

The pumps are very small, relative to wide open air flow.  The recent smog pumps are roughly 10% of the air flow at the cold idle- which isn't a lot.

Jay_W
Jay_W Dork
11/6/18 10:40 p.m.

Well if a smog pump doesn't move enough air to do the job, just keep stacking them up while you're at the picknpull, and daisy chain 'em all thru the engine bay til they *do*. I will buy the pumps if you install em and make em work as long as I get to see the video...

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/6/18 11:04 p.m.

Everyone mail your unused smog pumps to:

Daisy Chain to more power

P.O Box 1639

Grand Central Station

NY,NY 10163

SkinnyG
SkinnyG UltraDork
11/6/18 11:32 p.m.

I remember reading an article in Hot Rod around 1981 about this very thing.

And then I wonder now, was it an April (fools?) issue, or something?

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/6/18 11:49 p.m.

Now hold on a minute. Just think of this advantage: if it doesn't move enough air to make any power, you won't have to tune it! 

Think of the money you'll save on the megasquirt, wide band and Dyno time!

Stefan
Stefan GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 1:03 a.m.

Sounds like they work, barely, for much smaller engines.  Like a Kart or small pit bike, etc.  not sure you’d get one working on a larger engine without strapping a ton of them on there.

Also how many have you all seen failed on cars you’ve worked on?  What are the chances of finding one, let alone several, that are working still?

Seems like building a log manifold or two for a small junkyard turbo would be money better spent for a Challenge car.  Weld-Els and rough cut exhaust flanges work just fine.

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
11/7/18 6:35 a.m.

I just want to post that I found these for ~$200 all over eBay and I don't know what to do with that information: Aisin AMR500

AwesomeAuto
AwesomeAuto Reader
11/7/18 6:55 a.m.

The only ones able to build positive pressure are the Roots style smog pumps, like the AMR300 or AMR500.

The Porsche/VW smog pumps are popular.

These are commonly used on small engines only, though. The AMR500 might work on a small car 4-cylinder, but I would probably keep it to things like ATVs, golf karts, go karts, etc.

Floating Doc
11/7/18 7:25 a.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

I just want to post that I found these for ~$200 all over eBay and I don't know what to do with that information: Aisin AMR500

These are interesting. Really compact. I like the simplicity of a supercharger, but (as alluded to in my previous post) the tuning is never simple. That's enough to discourage me from seriously considering any aftermarket forced induction that isn't a complete package.

I had a 3.4 Tacoma with the TRD blower, dealer installed. It wasn't supposed to need tuning, but I found that the only pump gas it would run right on was Shell premium.

After I sold it, Toyota added a seventh injector to the package.

edizzle89
edizzle89 SuperDork
11/7/18 8:20 a.m.
Jay_W said:

Well if a smog pump doesn't move enough air to do the job, just keep stacking them up while you're at the picknpull, and daisy chain 'em all thru the engine bay til they *do*. I will buy the pumps if you install em and make em work as long as I get to see the video...

The competitive audio guys do the same thing with alternators, which isn't that different

rslifkin
rslifkin UltraDork
11/7/18 8:29 a.m.

In reply to Floating Doc :

A roots blower should be fairly simple to tune, as in a lot of ways, it just behaves like a bigger NA engine.  

Floating Doc
11/7/18 10:03 a.m.
rslifkin said:

In reply to Floating Doc :

A roots blower should be fairly simple to tune, as in a lot of ways, it just behaves like a bigger NA engine.  

That makes sense. V8, roots blower, one or two carbs, or a throttle body fuel injection system. Done.

However, I'm thinking in terms of adding forced induction to a Miata, my 2.4 NA Lancer Ralliart, etc.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 2:15 p.m.
edizzle89 said:
Jay_W said:

The competitive audio guys do the same thing with alternators, which isn't that different

The downside to this approach is weight, and an "audio car" doesn't have to be light. If it did, these guys would be better off driving one huge alternator.

Similarly, maybe boosting an engine with an array of smog pumps could make sense for a stationary engine.

sleepyhead
sleepyhead GRM+ Memberand Dork
11/7/18 2:21 p.m.

what if sequentially charged them, and ran the chargers off rc aircraft motors?

maybe weight limited for chump... but would fit right w/ challenge

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/7/18 2:33 p.m.
sleepyhead said:

what if sequentially charged them, and ran the chargers off rc aircraft motors?

maybe weight limited for chump... but would fit right w/ challenge

Similar concept to APU-boosting...but you'd be running them more in parallel than in series, since CFM is a bigger problem than PSI with these little pumps. And you can only run so many in series until the last one blows up!

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/7/18 4:37 p.m.

Here's a mind experiment for superchargers. all engines are air pumps, yes? Ok, good. So say you have an engine in your car.

Now you want to supercharge it. Great! One way to do that would be to get another identical engine and drive the crankshaft of the new engine with your existing engine, and get rid of the fuel and ignition system on the secondary engine. Then, your secondary engine could be used to force air into your existing engine! Just plumb the exhaust ports of the new engine to the intake of your existing engine.

However, since the two engines are identical and have identical airflow, in order to create ANY positive pressure on your existing engine you need to spin the new engine FASTER than the existing engine.

That's a heck of a lot of air that a supercharger needs to push. Keep that in mind when thinking about forced induction.

Now, if you could change the cam timing of the new engine so that instead of otto cycle it was 'compressor cycle' (intake port open on downstroke, exhaust port open on upstroke).....

¯\_(ツ)_/¯
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ UberDork
11/7/18 4:39 p.m.

In reply to Robbie :

This guy had a similar thought

freetors
freetors Reader
11/7/18 5:13 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Robbie :

I remember a guy building a gs500 a long time ago with the same thought. Use the second cylinder as a supercharger. He essentially turned the second cylinder into a "two stroke" by removing the valves and installing reed valves. He said it made a very unique engine sound.

Robbie
Robbie GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
11/7/18 5:21 p.m.
¯\_(ツ)_/¯ said:

In reply to Robbie :

That guy is a genius and a madman. The storing of energy in a compressed air tank when the engine is on decel is equally excellent. I wonder if this would work using one bank of a v8 or v6 as the supercharger.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Ou9ch8knWTY1ZDBSDfptroVIzx7k70VUFOwa2EGsKJVgMnQmSnRAsynbggBQHlR0