miataman86
miataman86 Reader
8/25/12 10:10 p.m.

I've got a set of Team Dynamics Pro Race 2 rims that I'm looking to redo. I got them from the owner of the race team that I'm on team support with and they have a few racing cars on them but nothing that's too severe. Could I just sand them down and hit them with primer and hit em up with spray paint? I would like to have them sandblasted and re-powdercoated, but I know that will be more costly. What do you guys think?

pimpm3
pimpm3 Reader
8/25/12 10:17 p.m.

Sand em down, use a little bondo if there is any deep scratches etc.. spray paint and call it a day.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
8/25/12 10:19 p.m.

Sweet. I"ll cather the supplies come this next week and start. Should I sand down the bare metal? Should I Sand down to rough up the powdercoat and then hit it with the primer and spraypaint?

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
8/26/12 4:22 p.m.

It'll look better if you go to bare metal but it will have a more durable finish if you just rough it up.

whenry
whenry HalfDork
8/26/12 7:31 p.m.

Are you going to race on them or just run them on the street? If on the street, you have a pretty good chance to keep a good appearance on them; if racing, dont waste your time since brake heat will eat anything you do short of powdercoating.

wbjones
wbjones UltraDork
8/27/12 4:56 a.m.

even the ultra high heat paints ?

jr02518
jr02518 New Reader
8/27/12 8:22 a.m.

The time you spend getting the paint surface clean will make all the difference in the end result.

I soak the rims in a warm solution of Simple Green, wet sand with 400 and I degrease the paint surface with break cleaner before I paint them.

Fish eyes in the paint, dirt/grease on the rims.

I have had good results with "Duplicolor Wheel Paint". If you want a gloss finish you are going to have to clear coat them. Mine are for the track and the mat finish works. I have never used break cleaner on the fresh paint.

If you are painting more than the face you have lots more energy than me. And time and paint.

93EXCivic
93EXCivic UltimaDork
8/27/12 9:22 a.m.

Are they aluminum wheels? If they are, use that Easy Off oven cleaner and the paint will come right off.

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
9/5/12 1:48 a.m.

They are aluminum and yes, they will be for track use and autoX. Is there anything that can get the powdercoat off that's short of sandblasting them? I'm painting the face and the inside of them. Also, will getting the TOYOs I have in ther garage mounted and balanced on them mess up the paint work? Are there any ways to prevent that from occuring?

GameboyRMH
9/5/12 8:40 a.m.
miataman86 wrote: Also, will getting the TOYOs I have in ther garage mounted and balanced on them mess up the paint work? Are there any ways to prevent that from occuring?

Letting the rims dry properly first goes a long way.

z31maniac
z31maniac PowerDork
9/5/12 8:41 a.m.
miataman86 wrote: they will be for track use and autoX.

I'd just run them as-is personally.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury UltimaDork
9/5/12 8:46 a.m.
miataman86 wrote: Is there anything that can get the powdercoat off that's short of sandblasting them?

Electrolysis?

GameboyRMH
9/5/12 8:48 a.m.
z31maniac wrote:
miataman86 wrote: they will be for track use and autoX.
I'd just run them as-is personally.

Yeah for a track car if they look like they're all the same color from 50ft away I'd say that's good enough. You're not going to attract any ladies with a sub-$30k track car

Look in my reader's rides, the rims all look decent in the pics right? They're actually chewed up as all hell

miataman86
miataman86 Reader
9/12/12 12:30 p.m.

I got the Toyos on the Team Dynamics rims. They have a few scuffs on them from the paint getting scrapped off, but I'm really not caring at this point. Not in it for any ladies, LOL, but as long as they look decent from a lil ways distance, I'm not gonna worry about them.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
vXrzyhBfG5X9sGlMEEpLSajLOxE0BOVQsSNMujocd3vBL5R99uGkXGJAntgRP7As