1 2 3
JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/30/13 7:22 p.m.
Racer1ab wrote: Speaking of silly contests, I would LOVE to see a battle for the ultimate GRM message board car. Is the answer always Miata? We could find out through a series of tests! And maybe we can have several stock to mildly modified versions of every example...

Whatever it is, the answer will be old, cheap and odd

Racer1ab
Racer1ab HalfDork
7/30/13 7:33 p.m.

In reply to JoeyM:

And it could change every year! What car can turn the best lap time, rule the autocross course, and haul 40 cases of beer?

Less rules, moar fun.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/13 9:22 p.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
David S. Wallens wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote: Don't make me bust out the long extension cord... jg
Dude, you're coming with us.
Yeah, I'm just trying to figure out what to bring. Maybe it's time for ultimate wagon showdown. jg

Totally.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
7/30/13 9:27 p.m.
JoeyM wrote: Yeah, when does this go down? (...and can the rest of us play?) I probably can't get the geo repaired by then, but inquiring minds want to know.

Once we get our ducks in a row, we'll let you know. Obviously this is going to happen in Central Florida and, yes, it's going to be a Wednesday night.

Mitchell
Mitchell SuperDork
7/30/13 10:52 p.m.

"Catching the Snitch": The first person to have a faster 1/4 mile than 0-60 time.

Vigo
Vigo UltraDork
7/30/13 11:03 p.m.

Back when i had one of the original G-tech meters, the slowest any of my cars ran on it was 20.0.

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/30/13 11:18 p.m.

Heck. If you'll let me play and I can't get the geo running I may drive the appliance out there and take a few passes. (depending on if it conflicts with evening classes.)

Wally
Wally GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/31/13 12:46 a.m.

I entered a slow truck race one time with my International. Probably the only time anything with a 444 was too fast. Put it in low, let out the clutch and crawl with the driver's door open so people can see you aren't riding the brakesSlow truck race

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/31/13 5:50 a.m.
Wally wrote: I entered a slow truck race one time with my International. Probably the only time anything with a 444 was too fast. Put it in low, let out the clutch and crawl with the driver's door open so people can see you aren't riding the brakesSlow truck race

I love the guy walking up the middle at the same pace as the trucks.....

ebonyandivory
ebonyandivory HalfDork
7/31/13 6:20 a.m.

My Samurai 1.3 liter with 33" Super Swampers and 3:73? I'd time it with a calendar!

Klayfish
Klayfish SuperDork
7/31/13 6:20 a.m.

Wait, what car do you have? Electric, I presume...

FranktheTank
FranktheTank Reader
7/31/13 6:22 a.m.

62 Hudson Nash Metropolitan. Pretty sure I just won guys... 0-55. Only. 3 speed manual. Yep... I win

I do have the monstrous 1500cc though. Most fun car in the history of ever though..,

JG Pasterjak
JG Pasterjak Production/Art Director
7/31/13 7:34 a.m.
Klayfish wrote:

That would be the Volt. Actualy it ran a 17.2 @ 88mph at Gainesville all-electric. Supposedly it's about .2 faster in hybrid mode.It was pretty quiet, though.

jg

ArthurDent
ArthurDent HalfDork
7/31/13 8:44 a.m.

My '70 Mercedes 220D would have a fighting chance of being the slowest on the board. 59hp and just over 3000lbs. Actually right now the most powerful car I own only has 100hp.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
7/31/13 9:25 a.m.
mistanfo wrote: Joe- the Danger van might be a shoe-in :)

This has been discussed...... and I could cook a grilled cheese sammich while kicking their slow asses!

bluej
bluej GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/31/13 9:37 a.m.
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Klayfish wrote:
That would be the Volt. Actualy it ran a 17.2 @ 88mph at Gainesville all-electric. Supposedly it's about .2 faster in hybrid mode.It was pretty quiet, though. jg

Wow, not bad. Remember what the 1/8th was? I'm curious how that stacked up to other vehicles..

JoeyM
JoeyM Mod Squad
7/31/13 10:19 a.m.
bluej wrote:
JG Pasterjak wrote:
Klayfish wrote:
That would be the Volt. Actualy it ran a 17.2 @ 88mph at Gainesville all-electric. Supposedly it's about .2 faster in hybrid mode.It was pretty quiet, though. jg
Wow, not bad. Remember what the 1/8th was? I'm curious how that stacked up to other vehicles..

It's faster than my geo

SkinnyG
SkinnyG HalfDork
7/31/13 10:32 a.m.

I used to autocross a slow car where the only thing with less power than it was the generator that ran the concession stand.

The advantage of slow: more seat time.

ssswitch
ssswitch New Reader
7/31/13 5:15 p.m.

We had a guy run a mobility scooter on our strip. It was the first time I've ever seen them stop and restart the clock and the speed dropped dramatically as it got nearer the trap as the batteries had run dry.

t25torx
t25torx Reader
8/1/13 8:31 p.m.

I could bring my K1500 Turbo Diesel with it's NV4500, 1st gear isn't good for anything other than pulling stumps out of the ground.I could throw it into 4Low and probably top out in 5th at 30mph.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/13 10:41 p.m.

Alan McCrispin and my tandem bicycle 1/4 mile pass a few years ago at the Challenge was 42.4 seconds. Measured on a sundial. Cardio Pulmonary Resuscitation was gratis.

There is your benchmark.

SVreX
SVreX MegaDork
8/1/13 10:46 p.m.

My first car was a 1966 VW Bus. Did 0-60 in about an hour and a half.

Same 53 hp 1500 as the Bug, but they geared them lower since the thing was bigger. MUCH lower. All 4 gears were creeper gears.

I once loaded the thing with plywood from the engine deck to the roof. Completely solid. Didn't change the acceleration at all. Still did a blistering 0-60 in about an hour and a half.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VSux2FG2Y0LT7Of74UBQQ2bAwz0oMPIXkOS02jsDZ1TzLrXYYnpgX37TLsLyKBoo