Rustspecs13
Rustspecs13 Reader
2/15/11 5:05 p.m.

My 240sx just randomly didn't start a few minuets ago. Either my battery is bad, or my alt went.

If its my alternator, I want to rebuild it. Do you guys know of any online resource for parts or any place I can order them from?

Even if I get a junkyard mini van alt for more amps, Id still like to rebuild it.

~Alex

triumph5
triumph5 Dork
2/15/11 5:10 p.m.

E-bay motors search engine. I've seen rebuild kits for sale while searching other parts there.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
2/15/11 6:02 p.m.

The brushes are the usual cause of failure. They wear out and lose contact with the slip rings. Of course the voltage regulator can go bad as well as the diode trio, very rarely do the rotor or stator have a problem. Occasionaly the bearings need to be replaced.

iceracer
iceracer Dork
2/15/11 6:03 p.m.

Oh, most parts can be purchased at a good parts store. Not adzone.

16vCorey
16vCorey SuperDork
2/15/11 6:43 p.m.

Not sure about the 240SX alternator (Denso or Hitatchi?), but Bosch alternators are VERY easy. The brushes and regulator are all one unit, and the mount in the back with two phillips screws. The case comes apart with four bolts, and the bearings come off the main shaft with just about any puller. All the parts will cost less than $30.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn SuperDork
2/15/11 7:13 p.m.

Auto Zone, along with NAPA and many other chain stores do carry rebuild parts for many alternators. Alternately, go online to Rock Auto.

As others have said, in most cases replacing the brushes, regulator and bearings will fix you up.

benzbaron
benzbaron HalfDork
2/15/11 7:21 p.m.

I would rather go and get my alternator rebuilt by a reputable shop than trusting a "rebuilt" chain store alternator. Basically it will cost you less but take longer. I don't know what they do at the chain stores when they rebuild them, I'd trust an Alt/Starter guy. At least you know what you buy will fit your car and work properly rather than trusting that the store bought one is both the correct model and properly rebuilt.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
FYL9DpD8s2Y3Suw2VY5o5hU7NGjytJ1XvANhpbPgjhDsEuklWMdzPOWgM86M7bY3