skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/10/10 7:37 p.m.

Well, the wife OK'd the purchase of this car to replace my 2 door GTI if I can get at least my payoff in trade.

I bought the GTI when I thought I was going to be making a bunch of sales calls and was worried about what sort of impression my car would make on clients. Now that I've had a bit of a career change that no longer matters. Also, we had a kid and hauling him in and out of a two door when I pick him up after work is getting really old.

Really, I wanted an M5 in the first place and at $15k I'm not passing this one up if it checks out. How do you think the dealer will react when I propose trading in a car worth about a grand more than the one I'm buying?

dyintorace
dyintorace GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/10/10 8:07 p.m.

Hard to believe that a used GTI is worth more than an a used e39 M5.

Good luck with the purchase. That M5 is pretty.

Brust
Brust Reader
1/10/10 8:13 p.m.

It's a bit of a boat compared to even a GTI, but a boat with some giddyup.

Put a screaming chicken on the hood and go to town.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
1/10/10 8:50 p.m.

I'm watching the M5 market VERY closely these days....

Thats a ton of car for the money....

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/10/10 9:20 p.m.

I really like the GTI but videos like this make me think I probably won't miss it. Well, aside from the clutch letting go in third.

Shaun
Shaun Reader
1/10/10 9:29 p.m.

The amount of automotive engineering you can get with 15k is really amazing.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe Reader
1/10/10 9:39 p.m.

Look at this one that they have a the same place. Blue and manual.

http://www.autotrader.com/dealers/dda/detail.jsp?ct=c&result_car_id=272046763&dealership_view_name=samswopebmw&car_id=272817555&dealer_id=656609

motomoron
motomoron Reader
1/10/10 9:48 p.m.
njansenv wrote: I'm watching the M5 market VERY closely these days.... Thats a ton of car for the money....

It's like 2 tons of car for the money.

MrJoshua
MrJoshua SuperDork
1/10/10 9:50 p.m.
motomoron wrote:
njansenv wrote: I'm watching the M5 market VERY closely these days.... Thats a ton of car for the money....
It's like 2 tons of car for the money.

The DP cars guy bested his time around a road course in a Lotus Elise with one.

amg_rx7
amg_rx7 Reader
1/10/10 10:28 p.m.

Wow. MPG is 12 City and 19 Highway.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
1/10/10 10:47 p.m.

You said you need to get your gti paid off in order to get the m5. Would you be financing the BMW as well? If so, you might have a hard time getting financing on a 8-10 year old car.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
1/10/10 10:59 p.m.

Awesome car. Get it!

skruffy
skruffy Dork
1/10/10 11:18 p.m.

In reply to Strizzo:

Eh, if I can't finance it or get the deal to work the way I want I just won't get it. It's not like I have to buy another car. I walked away from a number of cars I wanted before I bought the GTI.

Keith
Keith GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/10 12:29 a.m.

Well, I'm certainly not going to discourage this sort of behavior

Took the M5 on the first road trip this weekend, four up. It's a fantastic cross-country car as you would expect. It also has the smoothest cruise control of any car I've ever driven - you never actually notice it do anything.

njansenv
njansenv Reader
1/11/10 8:03 a.m.
motomoron wrote: It's like 2 tons of car for the money.

I just spit out my coffee laughing. Too true.

Still, I want one in the worst way as the family hauler. My lovely wife concurs, should the right one come around: we're semi-actively searching Cali/Arizona/New Mexico ads for one, in the interest of a road trip back.

nderwater
nderwater Reader
1/11/10 8:08 a.m.

Five years ago we settled on an E39 for our family hauler as well. If I could have justified the additional purchase price, insurance & maintenance expense of the M5 to my wife, I would have. At today's prices that would have been a much easier sell.

DILYSI Dave
DILYSI Dave SuperDork
1/11/10 8:36 a.m.
skruffy wrote: In reply to Strizzo: Eh, if I can't finance it or get the deal to work the way I want I just won't get it. It's not like I have to buy another car. I walked away from a number of cars I wanted before I bought the GTI.

If you can't finance it through your bank, find a different bank, or (preferably) a credit union. My credit union will loan money on nearly anything. Last year, when we couldn't make something work on an auto loan for a truck I wanted to buy out-of-state from a private seller, they just cut me a signature loan for the amount I needed.

alex
alex Dork
1/11/10 9:50 a.m.
skruffy wrote: I really like the GTI but videos like this make me think I probably won't miss it.

Good God yes. There's nothing like a V8 through open pipes, even German ones.

kcmoken
kcmoken New Reader
1/11/10 9:58 a.m.

I have been eyeing these M5s as well. I didn't realize the bottom dropped out until Keith posted about buying one, and then it was - .

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/10 11:21 a.m.
nderwater wrote: Five years ago we settled on an E39 for our family hauler as well.

i have LOLz imagining the rough life you lead, that you had to settle for an E39 five years ago

minimac
minimac Dork
1/11/10 11:55 a.m.

I'm just old, but if you need to borrow 15K to buy a 10 year old car, maybe you really shouldn't, no matter how badly you want it. Don't worry though, the dealer will only offer you 8k, no matter what it's worth.

Woody
Woody GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/11/10 12:33 p.m.

Your wife FTW!

nderwater
nderwater Reader
1/11/10 12:59 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote: i have LOLz imagining the rough life you lead, that you had to settle for an E39 *five years ago*

Yeah, yeah, yeah. I said "we settled" as in "decided." It was either a used 530i or a new Accord, and snobbery prevailed ;)

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
oTUFtRXVStvt9JtywRN7JVZ8Ja7MjctfV2mZYPFfMxthIxlpnNVMENpoX8ZcjNEt