1 2 3
JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
8/22/12 12:36 p.m.

... who wants to do the 70's-stock-car/trans-am treatment to something.

I don't even care what. Car, truck, van, whatever. Fat wheels and tires, built suspension, roll cage, mostly gutted, big cammy engine with lots of straight pipe.

Since I know I'm not the only one, someone has done this.

Send me to a build thread or some pictures and tell me what you do with it and what a bad idea it was, 'cause I really don't need another project.

O'Brien
O'Brien MegaDork
8/22/12 12:39 p.m.

I have owned two Monte's of that vintage. A 70 and a 71. Both were relatively awesome as transport, snow buggies and smoke generators but they handled like a couch.

I would love to do something like drop the body on one of those GTA road racing chassis that popped up here for sale a few days ago - sex it all out like the pic above (sans real companies) and hit the track.

pinchvalve
pinchvalve GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/22/12 12:57 p.m.

Use real companies, but make them Adam & Eve, Trojan, Schlitz, BFI, H&K...funny stuff.

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/22/12 1:04 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: ... who wants to do the 70's-stock-car/trans-am treatment to something.

Eerie... I was just thinking about this earlier...

...build something loud and obnoxious to run in C-Prepared and hill climbs. Fat tires, V8, side-pipes...

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/12 1:05 p.m.

Awwww yeah!

EvanB
EvanB GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/22/12 1:08 p.m.

J308
J308 Reader
8/22/12 1:24 p.m.

Nope, you're not the only one.

Conquest351
Conquest351 Dork
8/22/12 1:39 p.m.

I'm just gonna leave this riiight here...

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/cheap-race-car/53540/page1/

noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/22/12 1:59 p.m.

I have wanted to do the stock car style thing for years... Ok, not "stock" car thing... Race car thing... Need not be American Iron.... (But it sure does not hurt...)

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
8/22/12 2:08 p.m.

I'm definitely interested. I have a (newer, by comparison) G-body in mind (or an early second-gen F-body would be cool too)...but yeah, I'm in.

Though, I have to say this comes to mind when I think about these sorts of things:

from: http://www.google.com/url?sa=t&rct=j&q=onion+car+of+yesterday&source=web&cd=1&cad=rja&ved=0CEoQFjAA&url=http%3A%2F%2Fwww.theonion.com%2Farticles%2Fnascar-unveils-new-car-of-yesterday%2C2174%2F&ei=ii01UJ3xF6S60QHr34HIDw&usg=AFQjCNFmiOilK-gtG0KH79KJA7HNnPaueg

Bobzilla
Bobzilla SuperDork
8/22/12 2:12 p.m.

Does a late 80's B-body GM count? I've been wanting to do that to the last of the box-style caprices for a while. Only mine would be more modern in the drivetrain dept (Thinking LS7 or LS9 with a viper T-56).

ClemSparks
ClemSparks PowerDork
8/22/12 2:17 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Does a late 80's B-body GM count? I've been wanting to do that to the last of the box-style caprices for a while. Only mine would be more modern in the drivetrain dept (Thinking LS7 or LS9 with a viper T-56).

I like it!

Someone did a mean one on another forum...I'll see if I can dig it up.

[edit] I haven't been able to find it. Anyone else know what I'm talking about? It's a build-thread somwhere else that I'm pretty sure I saw linked here a long time ago. It was a white or off-white 2 door square style B-body. One thing I remember is he narrowed the bumpers (and collapsed the shocks or remounted them closer to the body). Little help?

Ian F
Ian F PowerDork
8/22/12 2:19 p.m.
Bobzilla wrote: Does a late 80's B-body GM count? I've been wanting to do that to the last of the box-style caprices for a while. Only mine would be more modern in the drivetrain dept (Thinking LS7 or LS9 with a viper T-56).

I think just about anything American with a V8 and RWD would work. And as much as I love EFI, there's something about a good 'ole fashioned carb'ed V8 with a lopey cam and an exhaust that would make a H-D shrivel up into its tail pipes.

HappyAndy
HappyAndy Dork
8/22/12 2:23 p.m.

Since we're speaking of stockcars, about what year did NASCAR stop having "stock based" cars? As in the cars didn't really start out as factory built tubs or shells?

If I had to guess, I would say it was the early or mid eighties, or at least the silluetes still fairly convincing at that point.

This looks like something that I could duplicate. But OTOH, I don't know close this is to an actual cup car of that period.

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
8/22/12 2:42 p.m.

I LOVE THEM!!!!!

dabird
dabird New Reader
8/22/12 2:51 p.m.

i've always wanted to do this but without all the decals( or at least not as many of them). basically just a street car in that style not a full on replica racer

Javelin
Javelin GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/22/12 3:36 p.m.
HappyAndy wrote: Since we're speaking of stockcars, about what year did NASCAR stop having "stock based" cars? As in the cars didn't really start out as factory built tubs or shells?

Depends on the manufacturer. The TBirds used actual stock bodies through 88, but the 89 MN12 Birds were all hand-formed. The GM's went hand-formed sooner (with the FWD Beretta, Grand Prix, etc bodies).

81cpcamaro
81cpcamaro Reader
8/22/12 3:52 p.m.

GM used the G-body Monte Carlo up to late 87 for Nascar, that would have been the last stock bodied one (remember the aero coupe models). After that the no-longer-stock stock cars.

Steve Chryssos
Steve Chryssos Associate Publisher
8/22/12 4:03 p.m.

I didn't build it, but I had the pleasure of caring for this '66 Fairlane. As caretaker, I was forced to drive it at least twice a month to make sure that cobwebs did not form in the tailpipes. It felt like qualifying every time I turned the key.

-Full tube chassis with a channeled body and hand hammered flares. -315's all the way around
-Floor-sweep "cup" Wilwood road course disc brakes
-Richmond 6 speed with a Long Shifter -392 stroker Windsor Ford with dry sump, carburetor -Really snotty sounding Spin Tech mufflers
-It was a bear to drive at street legal speeds, but would really come into its own at speed. -Built by a Cup fabricator named Charlie Libby in his spare time.

noddaz
8/22/12 7:07 p.m.

I am talking this toned down for the street...

noddaz
8/22/12 7:12 p.m.

Or this... (Ignore that thing down in the corner...)

And Chrysler was even in on it at one time. I really wanted one of these...

Wow... I still do...

vwcorvette
vwcorvette GRM+ Memberand Dork
8/22/12 7:20 p.m.
noddaz wrote: I am talking this toned down for the street...

Toned down?

Just add lights!

fasted58
fasted58 UltraDork
8/22/12 7:35 p.m.

I'm along these lines...

Ranger50
Ranger50 UltraDork
8/22/12 7:47 p.m.

In reply to Steve Chryssos:

And I bet you cried every time you drove it down to wherever.....

JohnInKansas
JohnInKansas HalfDork
8/22/12 10:47 p.m.
JohnInKansas wrote: ...tell me...what a bad idea it was...

Just in case no one's ever told you guys this, you kind of suck at discouragement.

1 2 3

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
VaYc2gaw7wn9e6Jiq7tyhsJdlEfG7ZFrD7VX9xI1YhKtrylBfgpW8owIojDFnpuC