Scotty Con Queso
Scotty Con Queso UltraDork
1/16/24 7:58 p.m.

Back story in the other thread, but the long and short of it is that my 2010 Mazda6 with the push button start put itself in fail safe mode after a bad battery.  Took the car to a local garage who promised they could get it sorted much cheaper than the Mazda dealer.  They couldn't and wanted $4k to fix a car worth $4k so I towed it home. 

The car was in fail safe mode and it looks like they got it out but were convinced that something was "fried" due to improper battery installation.  I installed the battery as normal.  I think the car just simply went into fail safe mode.  The issue was that I, being an idiot, while trying to get the car out of fail safe and recognize the key put the hard key in the ignition (remember this is a push button start) and tried to turn the key, which is a no no.  When I did that, I broke the "ignition immobilizer antenna".  So even though the shop got the car out of fail safe mode and I'm getting the "green" key but the car still won't start.  Obviously the car needs the aluminum piece, but again the shop was convinced I fried an ignition module, but even they were not sure if I actually did, just sort of a guess.

See the pic of the antenna broken below:

The shop wanted $500 for the part above and over $700 to "reprogram" it.   Then if that didn't work, another $1,400 to fix the other module they think I fried.  My question is, if I replace this broken piece myself (I found an oem new part on ebay for $100), what do I need to reprogram it?  I know that's a very broad question, but I'm just completely in the dark here and would hope I can fix this car.  If I can't fix it, I'm going to part it out.  Just absolutely lost here.  

dculberson
dculberson MegaDork
1/16/24 8:05 p.m.

I wonder if you could program the new module using Forscan? I know it's targeted at Ford vehicles but it works with the majority of Mazdas through 2022. 
Forscan is free and runs on a pc laptop and you just need a compatible obd2 to Bluetooth or wifi or usb connection. 

Scotty Con Queso
1/16/24 8:22 p.m.

In reply to dculberson :

It sounds promising and Keith suggested that to clear trouble codes to get it out of safe mode. I know he's done a lot with the Mazda ignition/security stuff in the past so maybe he can provide insight. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/16/24 8:36 p.m.

I'll check the factory manual tomorrow. Sometimes it's easy (do a little magic sequence of button pushes), sometimes you need an M-MDS tool. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo UltraDork
1/17/24 10:16 a.m.

A little reading on MHH Auto Forums would likely set you straight.  You gotta know a lot of the chassis codes and whatnot since its primarily european guys, but for dealing with cloned software and immo issues, its the best i have found by a wide margin.   

WonkoTheSane
WonkoTheSane GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
1/17/24 11:27 a.m.
93gsxturbo said:

A little reading on MHH Auto Forums would likely set you straight.  You gotta know a lot of the chassis codes and whatnot since its primarily european guys, but for dealing with cloned software and immo issues, its the best i have found by a wide margin.   

Wait, what!?  How did I NOT know about this forum?  That's awesome. Thanks for the info :)

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
1/17/24 11:40 a.m.

Replacing the antenna does not require any programming according to Mazda.

Also, the antenna has an MSRP of right about $200 and a wholesale of about $150. If I have the VIN, I can give the exact part number. There are four of them depending on if there's an integrated yaw sensor (!) or the key type.

Scotty Con Queso
1/17/24 11:42 a.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

Awesome. I'll pm you the vin tonight after work. Thanks!!! 

Scotty Con Queso
1/17/24 7:28 p.m.

Keith - sent you a PM.  Let me know if you didn't recieve it. 

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
krtIfPTZPxwijb9Dj8wwFiMeJVwkcZuBHzqmsopeF4tZoK54woQ5iDSXhB1JZIcj