bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/8/09 6:47 a.m.

I don't have a car and don't have the time to build one. However, I'd like to help someone out if I can, because I don't want to go all the way to Florida from Ohio to just watch. I know there are probably ways I could help by just showing up, but I'd like to go down there with a purpose, knowing who I'll be helping, if possible. I may be able to help on the build if you are local to me (near Akron, Ohio), or just at the event itself. I have a good amount of mechaincal skills, so let me know what you need. Thanks! Jim

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
1/8/09 6:55 a.m.

There's a guy in New York who needs some help sticking an Audi V6 in the back of a Geo Metro. I understand it gets pretty cold in his garage, though.

http://grassrootsmotorsports.com/forum/grm/my-challenger-comes-to-a-fork-in-the-road/6298/page1/

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/8/09 7:10 a.m.

Dayton to me is a 12 hour drive but you're welcome to stay over.

And who said I was putting a V6 in a Metro? After the embarrassment of the $2004 Challenge I remember saying I was going to buy a $1900 car, a 12 pack and a can of wax.

Dan

John Brown
John Brown GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
1/8/09 7:17 a.m.

Jees Dan, If I would have known you were going all outi on the Martini I would never have given you all that wax-on wax-off advice.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/8/09 10:00 a.m.

In reply to 914Driver:

Well, that might be a stretch of the term "local" for me. If you need help for something specific and a specific time of your build, I may be able to get up there to help you, but obviously couldn't do it on a regular basis. Also if you wanted to pick me up on the way to the event, I'd be happy to help while down there!

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/8/09 10:03 a.m.
bravenrace wrote: I don't have a car and don't have the time to build one. However, I'd like to help someone out if I can, because I don't want to go all the way to Florida from Ohio to just watch. I know there are probably ways I could help by just showing up, but I'd like to go down there with a purpose, knowing who I'll be helping, if possible. I may be able to help on the build if you are local to me (near Akron, Ohio), or just at the event itself. I have a good amount of mechaincal skills, so let me know what you need. Thanks! Jim

Truth be told, you kinda do. I did the 05 event, and after scrapping plan after plan for the next 3 years, I went down on Angry Corvairs advice. He just drove down and helped anyone he could and had a great time.

So in 08, I met him in Atlanta finished the drive and just hung out all weekend. I took pictures, helped Angry's Porsche a bit, BS'd with everyone and loved it. I was there for infamous Westside skate incident, I rode the three wheeler of death, drank as much Natty Light as the Hongers would let me. I had a great conversation with the Superchips guy, sat with Rene at the banquet, got a great late season tan and offered a hand to anyone else who needed it.

Maybe it was becuase I can't finish a project they all politley said no.

But the piont is, not having a purpose was just freaking awesome. Challenge folks are the best, and they are all justifyably proud of their work and love to talk about it. I wasn't the only one SVRex brought his family and hung out as well.

I will compete with a car again, becuase its too much fun, but come 09 and I am carless again, I am just driving down anyway.

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/8/09 10:14 a.m.

Bravenrace, on the other side of the coin.....

In $2004 I built the BatVan, towed it all the way down and never left the parking lot. As the event was in the spring I didn't have a chance to preflight the thing properly. It was (for me) very frustrating to spend an entire weekend inside a car that won't run. I appreciate all the Challengers that took time away from their activities to pitch in with advice or wrenching, but in the end it went back on the trailer.

I've said it before: $1900 car + 12 pack + wax = Challenger. For me the next time it's for the entertainment value, to get soldered and hang out with wonderful people, ulcers and frustration I can get at work.

If you have to go alone, go, someone will certainly adopt you.

Dan

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/8/09 12:02 p.m.

Mental and 914, you both make good points. I'll keep that in mind as the time gets nearer, but I would still like to help someone out if I can, for me and for them.

neon4891
neon4891 SuperDork
1/8/09 12:19 p.m.

Just go and hang out, sounds like I have to start planning a vacation

Xceler8x
Xceler8x GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/8/09 12:55 p.m.

I went down to the GRM challenge just this year. No car. No plan. No previous knowing of anyone. I hung out. Met folks. Had a blast. Go. You won't regret it. I might even be there myself.

edited after AngryCorvair's post smackdown to Mental.

AngryCorvair
AngryCorvair GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/8/09 1:35 p.m.
Mental wrote: I went down on Angry Corvair

dude. what happens in the van stays in the van. seriously.

aussiesmg
aussiesmg HalfDork
1/8/09 8:01 p.m.

You are welcome to accompany me on the trip, I'm about 3 hours west of you in Convoy, Oh

mel_horn
mel_horn HalfDork
1/8/09 8:13 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:

Thanks. Screen AND keyboard...

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/8/09 10:35 p.m.
AngryCorvair wrote:

You broke that promise when you put the pics on your website. Anyone can see them! www.AngryVairAsLittleBoPeep.com May not be work safe

914Driver
914Driver Dork
1/9/09 6:58 a.m.
Mental wrote:
www.AngryVairAsLittleBoPeep.com May not be work safe
DO NOT OPEN THE LINK !!!! Maybe it's because I'm on a Gubbyment computer, but I had to shut it down to get rid of it. There is no way to close out the link!
Tim Baxter
Tim Baxter Online Editor
1/9/09 7:23 a.m.

I just wish I'd had a chance to meet more of ya'll. Or been more sober when I did.

bravenrace
bravenrace HalfDork
1/9/09 7:44 a.m.

In reply to aussiesmg:

Thanks for the offer! Are you planning on running in it or attending without a vehicle?

Mental
Mental SuperDork
1/9/09 5:26 p.m.
914Driver wrote:
Mental wrote:
www.AngryVairAsLittleBoPeep.com May not be work safe
DO NOT OPEN THE LINK !!!! Maybe it's because I'm on a Gubbyment computer, but I had to shut it down to get rid of it. There is no way to close out the link!

Yes there is, you just have to hit "OK" for each of the lyrics. Jeez, you't think you've never been Rick Rolled before.

But on a 2nd note.....Gotcha

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
YrNnifXo0JWZGjbuSp6WzfC4HDUwr5aJA7BZDIAvUNu5GtchDPDtwsf3ooK5ys3r