1 2
hybridmomentspass
hybridmomentspass New Reader
8/15/20 4:41 p.m.

So Thursday I was, as the title states, hit by a cop during a high speed chase.

Happened in the Triad of North Carolina, and I found two possibilities for who they were chasing. But not 100% sure

I left work/my high school and wanted to grab some coffee and read a book to kill time before we held soccer practice.
i hit the highway and went one exit up and was waiting to turn right at the bottom of the ramp when the chase got to me.

Driver went to the right of me, into the grass. Then I heard the siren/horn honk (Im sorry, it happened very quickly and I was, at the time, in amazement at how close the fleeing vehicle was to my car before it hit the one in front of me...then kept going. Anyway, I heard a siren/honk and started to pull right a little and I turned to look behind just in time to see the suburban, driven by local PD, hit my rear 1/4 on my Ford Fiesta.

Car is damaged but drivable. I have a mild concussion, had a headache for about 49 hours now. It sucks, but Im fine.

I'll get dashcam footage when I can, I want it.

I worry that my car might get totaled with the quarter panel damage, and, thankfully, I have my MR2 which I could drive when seeking a vehicle/take a little more time/not rush, I still dont look forward to getting another car.

I like the Fiesta hatchback for the space inside (mostly for my hockey gear) and great MPG

But I think I might want something SLIGHTLY larger than the fiesta next. Focus? Golf? Corolla hatchback?

Would want an automatic for my daily driver, 30+ mpg easily on highway (im use to 40+), and I'll probably be under 16k or so for the budge

What do you think?

John Welsh (Moderate Supporter)
John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) Mod Squad
8/15/20 4:44 p.m.

What were you driving that got hit? 

hybridmomentspass
8/15/20 4:51 p.m.

Ford Fiesta

malibuguy
malibuguy GRM+ Memberand Reader
8/15/20 4:56 p.m.

Check out the latest gen fits.  They like mini-minivans.  Hard to do any better in the subcompact segment.

My wife has an 18 Fit sport with the cvt.  Its actually outstanding to drive.  I did plus zero tires up front and its just great.  Even the flappy paddles with similated gearing makes back roads fun.  And if you feel the need to change anything good aftermarket support.

captdownshift (Forum Supporter)
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltimaDork
8/15/20 5:20 p.m.

I'd be torn on whether to get the Bentley of the Rolls Royce if an officer in pursuit hit my vehicle. Lawyer up and contact the DA, the FOP will make it difficult to get the dashcam footage otherwise. 

mr2s2000elise
mr2s2000elise SuperDork
8/15/20 5:21 p.m.
  • Honda Fit 
  • Scion IM (corolla hatch) 

hope you get big settlement from PD 

• prius 
  • ct200h
dean1484
dean1484 GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
8/15/20 5:50 p.m.

Dude. Headache after two days sais GET TO THE DOC/ER now!!!!  

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
8/15/20 6:23 p.m.
dean1484 said:

Dude. Headache after two days sais GET TO THE DOC/ER now!!!!  

THIS!

hybridmomentspass
8/15/20 8:20 p.m.

Ive had a few messages and messages posted here - I went to hospital yesterday afternoon for a CT scan - no bleeding or swelling. They said that likely a mild concussion from the head rocking back/whiplash, and that I should be ok this weekend. If it persists through/to Monday to return. It's a droning headache, not sharp pains, more annoying than painful. But I do have concern.

My car, as stated, is still drivable, but looking at 14 Fiestas, the value isnt high on them. Especially knowing mine is at 136k miles. Though well taken care of (every receipt for oil changes, no accidents till now), it's still a lot of miles. I like my little car, a great DD.

The Fits are nice, similar size to Fiesta, and I think I might want a little larger. I carry hockey gear and I wouldnt mind a few more inches of space. I wish teh Matrix was still a thing, love their fully flat cargo area with the plastic panels.

The Focus/Corolla IM(hatch)/Mazda 3/Golf would be a little larger while offering good mpg. I also have thougth it'd be nice to have a small van like a transit connect or NV200 Nissan. I have a little side hustle where I design tees and stuff and sell at gun shows. I'd like to be able to have more merch to take and maybe even haul a 3D printer to make items to sell as Im there. But Im not 100% on a van ha

Im thinking 2015+ on years, which will make it harder with my budget, but maybe they/the city gives a little extra than an insurance company normally would. I dont know.

I just paid the car off 10 months ago, I really like not having a car payment.

THANK YOU - GRM FAM - FOR THE MESSAGES ABOUT MY HEALTH!

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/16/20 6:14 a.m.
captdownshift (Forum Supporter) said:

I'd be torn on whether to get the Bentley of the Rolls Royce if an officer in pursuit hit my vehicle. Lawyer up and contact the DA, the FOP will make it difficult to get the dashcam footage otherwise. 

Local governments typically have immunity in property damages losses like this. The only thing the OP will get may be his deductible.

ddavidv
ddavidv PowerDork
8/16/20 6:16 a.m.

Not sure on the used market but new car price gap between Fiesta and Focus weren't great. I couldn't see getting the tiny, flimsy Fiesta when a Focus wasn't much more. OTOH the Focus transmissions are said to be highly problematic.

I wouldn't recommend a VW to anyone unless it has the 2.5 engine and even then you'd best be prepared for CEL's.

Of your considered cars I'd go with the Mazda. Also look at the Hyundai/KIA offerings.

hybridmomentspass
8/16/20 7:19 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Not sure on the used market but new car price gap between Fiesta and Focus weren't great. I couldn't see getting the tiny, flimsy Fiesta when a Focus wasn't much more. OTOH the Focus transmissions are said to be highly problematic.

At the time i was in college full time and working only about 20 hours a week, the price gap between the two was huge in my eyes because I was strapped for funds. I also knew that my last semester of school I wouldnt be working at all due to my OTJ training through school - internship which didnt pay and was a full time job for three months. 

Didnt know Hyundai and Kia had hatchbacks, I'll take a look

DWNSHFT
DWNSHFT Dork
8/16/20 8:12 a.m.

Avoid the Ford Focus with the Powershift dual-clutch transmission.  With a manual they would be fine.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
8/16/20 8:50 a.m.
ddavidv said:

Local governments typically have immunity in property damages losses like this. The only thing the OP will get may be his deductible.

Unless you're state has very different laws than most, this is not accurate, at least for traffic collisions.

Local goverments are insured (though sometimes self insured) just like anyone else on the road.  Without getting into the specifics of the incident, the officer has a duty to drive with due regard to the safety of others on the roadway, even when operating with lights and sirens.  The local government in this case is at least partially responsible for the damages.

"Qualified Immunity" is something that has been highly misrepresented recently, and only protects individual officers from civil suits and only when they are operating within the law and agency policies, and do not violate a subject's civil rights under Federal law.  It is a very narrow exemption, despite what has been in the news lately.

One thing the OP should do immediately is contact the Police Department or Prosecuting Attorney and ensure you are listed as a victim in this incident (if you haven't been already). While you usually can't get blood from a turnip, it will open the door to court ordered restitution from the idiot that they were chasing.  Also contact the Risk Manager for the City/Town and make a claim for your damages, medical costs, etc.  

pirate
pirate HalfDork
8/16/20 12:39 p.m.

I would hire a lawyer even though you may not be interested in lawsuit. Wife was rear ended and suffered injuries. Clearly other person's fault. However other persons insurance low balled our totaled car and didn't even want to cover medical expenses until we hired lawyer.  Insurance companies are only interested in cutting their part of settlement cost.

Also concussions are nothing to fool around with. I suffered a severe one years ago and still have symptoms. Seek out medical advise if you are having any symptoms.

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
8/16/20 12:55 p.m.

In reply to John Welsh (Moderate Supporter) :

DUH !

iceracer
iceracer MegaDork
8/16/20 1:02 p.m.

Turn it over to your insurance company.    Let them fight the PD.

The value of the Fiesta is nil but you were injured, that carries a lot of weight .

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
8/16/20 5:38 p.m.

Why is everyone saying the cop is at fault? 

Anyway, I heard a siren/honk and started to pull right a little and I turned to look behind just in time to see the suburban, driven by local PD, hit my rear 1/4 on my Ford Fiesta.

from what I read, you pulled into his lane causing the issue. I'm pretty sure you'll lose this one at least in many States. Most have some type of law similar to you have a duty to stay in your lane of travel and not leave it unless it is safe to do so.

amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter)
amg_rx7 (Forum Supporter) SuperDork
8/16/20 6:19 p.m.

Mazda 3 is my suggestion 

Fwiw; it took me 6 months to recover sufficiently from a concussion to get back to work. Lots of odd physical therapy. I still get dizzy spells occasionally and it’s been a year now

Streetwiseguy
Streetwiseguy MegaDork
8/16/20 6:26 p.m.
Steve_Jones said:

Why is everyone saying the cop is at fault? 

Anyway, I heard a siren/honk and started to pull right a little and I turned to look behind just in time to see the suburban, driven by local PD, hit my rear 1/4 on my Ford Fiesta.

from what I read, you pulled into his lane causing the issue. I'm pretty sure you'll lose this one at least in many States. Most have some type of law similar to you have a duty to stay in your lane of travel and not leave it unless it is safe to do so.

True.  There could easily be a law that states you are supposed to slow down and pull to the right when you hear a siren.  It's a stupid law to write, but we can't very well have a law that says, " Pay attention and do the best thing for the situation that you are in."

OldGray320i (Forum Supporter)
OldGray320i (Forum Supporter) Dork
8/16/20 6:39 p.m.
DWNSHFT said:

Avoid the Ford Focus with the Powershift dual-clutch transmission.  With a manual they would be fine.

This.  Had the Focus 5sp, bullet proof, auto was a real hit miss, and when miss, much wailing and gnashing of teeth...

Steve_Jones
Steve_Jones HalfDork
8/16/20 7:42 p.m.

In reply to Streetwiseguy :

I agree there could be a law like that, but if so I'm sure it would say "when safe to do so" or something to that affect. It's really tough to not be found at fault when leaving your lane, no matter the reason. 

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UltimaDork
8/16/20 8:16 p.m.

RE: who is at fault.  I would be curious to hear what happens.  I understand leaving your lane could be a problem, but I wonder if its different if you are moving out of the roadway onto the grass.  I could certainly see him at fault if moving left. 

hybridmomentspass said:

Didnt know Hyundai and Kia had hatchbacks, I'll take a look

They are thin on the ground for sure.  For your use case you may want to consider a Soul.  Its a penalty box like the others, but from utility per $ standpoint its hard to beat, and it feels a lot better put together than some of the competition.  The Fit is a great car, but it carries a premium for sure.

I'm currently looking at similar cars and just test drove a Soul on Friday and was pleasantly surprised.  I haven't driven the auto though.  I did drive a different Kia and Ford (with Mazda engine) of similar age back to back and the Kia auto was worlds better.

hybridmomentspass
8/16/20 9:26 p.m.

For clarification, because I didnt get into it much before.
I was at the bottom of a ramp about to go right onto the main road. I was in the far right lane, only one that turned right, and when I say I went a little to the right I mean closer to the curb. The cop was attempting to go with one wheel on the pavement, the other in the grass, just as the fleeing car had.

I realize that yall werent there and Ive not gotten into the specifics, but I'll assure you I did no wrong on this one. I moved closer to the curb to give more space on the left for him to go not realizing he was going to cut into the grass as he did.

If/when I have dashcam footage Ill post it.

click on this, should take you to satellite view of the ramp

https://www.google.com/maps/@35.8594461,-80.0729131,73m/data=!3m1!1e3

In it, if you'll look at the ramp coming off the highway FROM the left, and there is a red semi with white trailer (white vehicle going down street is right in front of him) turning right onto Randolph street - that's where I was and how I was turning. Youll notice there is no other lane that direction. The cop went to the right of me in the grass, hit my rear passenger 1/4

I was heading to The Blend, which is at the far end of the parking lot you can see at the bottom left part of the page (zoom out a time or two and you'll see a taco bell, arbys, then The Blend).

Again, saying all of this to clear up any question if I pulled into his lane or something. I never left mine, was just trying to make space IN THE ROAD as I didnt expect him to be going towards the grass

Old_Town
Old_Town Reader
8/17/20 6:24 a.m.

There's also the rare Chevy Cruze hatch and the MINI clubman in the sub-16k hatch group. 

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
RUJjs5NRBye5yFRiFZEfymMMnvtuxWNHj9jsbyn4D0B5ChRVEI45mFmhXt8ELZqF