1 ... 3 4 5 6
Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/11/24 3:51 p.m.

In reply to Marko159 :

​​​I totally identify with what you guys are doing

My Datsun weighs 1651lbs. I've currently got 9K in it; if I didn't  Want to keep it vintage legal I could motor swap it or turbo charge the current engine.  Either option would net 175 reliable horsepower.

​​​​​I could also get the car down to 1488lbs if it didn't need the full cage and could use lightweight panels.

All of the above can be accomplished for 5-6K. 

Duckzero
Duckzero GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/11/24 4:49 p.m.

This is somewhat of a joke, but if there was a spec Sentra or Altima, we would have a plethora of cheap cars to get on track.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/11/24 4:52 p.m.
Duckzero said:

This is somewhat of a joke, but if there was a spec Sentra or Altima, we would have a plethora of cheap cars to get on track.

And we would make the world a better place by getting them off the road. 

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/11/24 5:13 p.m.

Track toys are always cars that are 10-20 years old. E30s (an example from the column) have gone through that and are now collectibles. So are NA Miatas and CRXs to some extent.

But if you look for 2000-2010 cars, there are still lots of options. I did a quick FB marketplace search for under $5k in little Grand Junction and amongst all the Jeeps and trucks were a Mazda3, a 2.5 Impreza, a Tiburon, an Impala...they may not have motorsport heritage, but you don't really need that to run track days. For $6k you can get a Mazdaspeed 3.

accordionfolder
accordionfolder UltraDork
2/11/24 5:31 p.m.
RonnieFnD said:
Duckzero said:

Lol, you guys are describing b-spec! You can get any car in if you get them submitted for balancing. Fiat500, mini, mazda2, sonic, etc

accordionfolder
2/11/24 5:32 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

Track toys are always cars that are 10-20 years old. E30s (an example from the column) have gone through that and are now collectibles. So are NA Miatas and CRXs to some extent.

But if you look for 2000-2010 cars, there are still lots of options. I did a quick FB marketplace search for under $5k in little Grand Junction and amongst all the Jeeps and trucks were a Mazda3, a 2.5 Impreza, a Tiburon, an Impala...they may not have motorsport heritage, but you don't really need that to run track days. For $6k you can get a Mazdaspeed 3.

Bingo 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/11/24 5:39 p.m.

In reply to Keith Tanner :

So you got me looking: for a 2000 Sentra and you can get tracks pads, sway bars and decent dampers for one.

One could add those parts and flog the poor car mercilessly.

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/11/24 5:43 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
RonnieFnD said:
Duckzero said:

Lol, you guys are describing b-spec! You can get any car in if you get them submitted for balancing. Fiat500, mini, mazda2, sonic, etc

I currently have a autox / track day sonic and I just picked up a 1.8 sonic I'm gonna build a b spec car with.

Edit...wtf is wrong with me.....two sonics lol

RonnieFnD
RonnieFnD Reader
2/11/24 5:45 p.m.
Tom1200 said:

In reply to Keith Tanner :

So you got me looking: for a 2000 Sentra and you can get tracks pads, sway bars and decent dampers for one.

One could add those parts and flog the poor car mercilessly.

I remember when the sentra SER spec v was a hot autox car, I always liked those.

johndej
johndej SuperDork
2/11/24 9:22 p.m.
Keith Tanner said:

This, looking on Craigslist/Marketplace right now, 2000-2010, manual, can find rx8, 350z, TSX, Mustang GT, Civic si, Z3/4, GTI, SVT Focus, Miata, BMW 3XX, Mazdaspeed 3/6, Boxster, Fit, Neon Srt4, WRX, and others for 6.5K or often much less asking price.

Duckzero
Duckzero GRM+ Memberand New Reader
2/11/24 9:43 p.m.

In reply to johndej :

Yeah! I usually have notifications set up in parts of the US where a RWD car wouldn't be ideal for most of the year. Seasonal discounts on these cars are real. 

accordionfolder
2/12/24 1:18 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

In reply to DjGreggieP :

Absolutely, you hit the nail on the head. HPDE can be tough and TT/Racing IS tough - you have to want to do it, set aside/prioritize the means to do so, and put yourself out there to learn about it; like most things worth doing in life. 

Somewhat fortuitous ....

A tale as old as time :)

accordionfolder
2/12/24 1:55 p.m.

Though if JG wrote this article, it's probably like - "I bought another duck. I have 325 ducks." vs the beer and cigs.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/24 2:00 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
RonnieFnD said:
Duckzero said:

And Gridlife Sundae Cup. 

accordionfolder
2/12/24 2:03 p.m.

In reply to bobzilla :

Yeah, good point. I think the sundae cup is even easier now since it just needs to meet the power to weight and tiny rule book.

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
2/12/24 2:24 p.m.
bobzilla said:

In reply to DirtyBird222 :

See, I'm an OLOA fan. I like driving my racecar to and from and all over. I've gone dedicated play car in the past and I lose interest in them quickly. 

For me the dedicated race car route seems to be a generally more difficult and expensive one, and it would be hard to convince me to take it for anything remotely streetable. A tow rig can easily cost more than whatever you're taking on track and then that's another vehicle that needs its own insurance, maintenance etc...it also means the track car is purely a toy and can't act as a substitute DD in a pinch, which makes it harder to justify spending money on, at least in my mind. And for doing even the slightest morsel of testing or break-in driving on your track car, there are no options between "take chances with the cops on your neighborhood roads" and "arrange for time on a closed course and start loading it onto the trailer."

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/12/24 2:52 p.m.

In reply to GameboyRMH :

I got around the cost of insurance for the tow vehicle by buying a camper van. Insurance is $100 a year.

As I only drive it 1500 miles a year maintenance is minimul. 

I've got 9K in the van.

accordionfolder
2/12/24 3:06 p.m.

In reply to Tom1200 :

That's what I'm trying out right now (RV/trailer to replace truck) - I'd like to subscribe to your newsletter, Tom. 

"... Best car of 2024, that's right folks, it's the 1972 Datsun 1200 **again** ..."

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/12/24 3:17 p.m.

In reply to accordionfolder :

It's really becoming fun. Mini's, 2's, fits, Festivas, proteges, cobalt, accord, Rio, accent etc....

accordionfolder
2/12/24 3:31 p.m.
bobzilla said:

It's really becoming fun. Mini's, 2's, fits, Festivas, proteges, cobalt, accord, Rio, accent etc....

It's almost like racing cars is fun, especially when you don't have to spend a lot of money and everyone is just there to have a good time  ;0) 

I love Gridlife's approach to racing and rules (or lack there of) 

Tom1200
Tom1200 PowerDork
2/12/24 3:48 p.m.

It's funny you mention newsletter......a friend keeps teasing me about writing a book on my not so glorious exploits.

As for my Datsun I think I could replicate it for about 8K. There are some things I did that really weren't needed.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/14/24 1:16 p.m.
accordionfolder said:

Though if JG wrote this article, it's probably like - "I bought another duck. I have 325 ducks." vs the beer and cigs.

I was just at JG’s. Not quite 325 ducks. (I did see his sweet front end loader, though.)

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
2/14/24 1:18 p.m.

In addition to B Spec, there’s also a C Spec movement out there: similar idea but using slightly bigger cars that should be relatively easy to find. 

accordionfolder
2/14/24 1:23 p.m.
David S. Wallens said:

In addition to B Spec, there’s also a C Spec movement out there: similar idea but using slightly bigger cars that should be relatively easy to find. 

I like that idea - I will say - I thought sundae cup didn't have spatial requirements for the car, just p/w and then the limitations on suspension adjustability, etc. I'll have to check the '24 rules though. Maybe tire width would keep some bigger cars out if you can't find the right size.

bobzilla
bobzilla MegaDork
2/14/24 1:36 p.m.
accordionfolder said:
David S. Wallens said:

I like that idea - I will say - I thought sundae cup didn't have spatial requirements for the car, just p/w and then the limitations on suspension adjustability, etc. I'll have to check the '24 rules though. Maybe tire width would keep some bigger cars out if you can't find the right size.

3k lbs or more can run 215 falkens, anything under is a 205 (The Bob Rule). 1% weight penalty for DOHC and 1% for dual wishbone suspension, otherwise P2W. 

1 ... 3 4 5 6

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
c17BQQviCBb0LBskeToWdpAcwxHcSlG0RQi6eBdnOGsMfwVf0QI1vuJmrR6zIZ9V