1 2 3 4
Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
5/20/11 9:04 a.m.

here's another vote for the Xterra, i've thoroughly enjoyed mine. they're pretty capable on stock suspension with just the rear swaybar removed. i've got the off road version with the factory rear locker, skid plates and billstein shocks.

Stock:

2in lift with rear sway removed

that said, i had a liberty limited rental last weekend that was not bad at all. the crappy dbw pedal and 3.8 were less noticeable with the automatic

92CelicaHalfTrac
92CelicaHalfTrac SuperDork
5/20/11 9:09 a.m.

FJ Cruiser? They're supposed to be very capable off road.

I like the Trooper idea, though.

Cole_Trickle
Cole_Trickle New Reader
5/20/11 9:27 a.m.

I would stay away from 1st gen Explorers. I tried to make a trail rig out of one and it didnt end well. They need major work to be reliable off road. I went through the trans, the rear end, the driveshaft and a bunch of other little things in a couple months. However, if you like them then check out Explorer4x4.com (if they are still around) for ideas.

Strizzo
Strizzo SuperDork
5/20/11 10:42 a.m.
92CelicaHalfTrac wrote: FJ Cruiser? They're supposed to be very capable off road. I like the Trooper idea, though.

i looked at FJs and finally decided that they were basically an extended cab pickup with less utility. that, and the issues with the fenders cracking/buckling led me away from them.

Vigo
Vigo Dork
5/20/11 10:47 a.m.

Id much rather have a Tacoma than an FJ, but either way you're talking relatively big bucks.

The h3 is an off-road machine from the factory. I would say it IS roughly comparable to a rubicon.

Happy to see all the agreement with the Trooper. I guess i wasnt really out on a limb with this audience..

m4ff3w
m4ff3w GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/20/11 10:57 a.m.

What about Montero? From what I've seen (and hope to find out is true) they are very capable off road and are pretty darned cheap, too.

EricM
EricM Dork
5/20/11 10:59 a.m.

Montero is on the list of frequent Craigslist searches. As is the 1988 Dodge Raider (I just love that boxy little thing).

I am also hoping for something north of 15 mpg, regular not premium fuel.

m4ff3w
5/20/11 11:12 a.m.
EricM wrote: Montero is on the list of frequent Craigslist searches. As is the 1988 Dodge Raider (I just love that boxy little thing). I am also hoping for something north of 15 mpg, regular not premium fuel.

That's what I hope with the Montero I'm planning on picking up this weekend. A 92 SR, 3.0 SOHC. If I can get 17 doing 60 or 65 on the highway I'll be very pleased.

parker
parker New Reader
5/20/11 12:51 p.m.

My 87 4Runner gets 17mpg doing 70-75 into a 20mph head wind. With a tailwind the mpg goes all the way up to 19

Really the Cherokee would probably be better overall. The lack of power in the 4cyl 4Runner is noticeable and the lack of back doors in the 1st gen makes access a pain.

Land Cruisers are cool, but I just can't stomach the mpg.

EricM
EricM Dork
5/20/11 2:16 p.m.

doing the math on MPGs and stuff, i may end up with a Tracker/sidekick... Still works, just on a much smaller scale.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
5/21/11 2:34 p.m.

Yes, the fake Hummer sounds good on paper and there's always someone that will say "my buddy had a bone stock one that went where these jeeps went with no problem. Then when the helicopter that came to rescue the Jeeps got stuck the hummer pulled it out, lifted it up and....."
I'm sure they are decent vehicles but I'd take a Cherokee any day over a counterfeit hummer. When those were first out I was at the Mounds (and ORV park around here) and I was keen to see those things wheel. After following them for a while in 2WD (I have Detroits though) I finally asked them why they aren't doing anything challenging. They BOTH were broke. One broken rear locker and one broken front driveshaft.
I've never heard from a happy H2 or H3 owner that actually wheels them.

JeffHarbert
JeffHarbert GRM+ Memberand Reader
5/21/11 5:08 p.m.

In reply to jrw1621: Holy crap that Blazer Chalet is cool. Girlfriend and I have been discussing RV options lately, too. Hmm.

m4ff3w
5/21/11 5:53 p.m.

thatsnowinnebago
thatsnowinnebago GRM+ Memberand Dork
5/21/11 6:02 p.m.

Plus one on the Montero here. Factory rear locker, mutil-mode transfer case, fits 33"s stock and can seat 7. Good power (215hp) and huge axles. Its a 9.5" in the rear and an 8" in the front. And its got headlight squirters! And they're painfully cheap. Mine was like 4k out the door at the dealership I got it from.

DrBoost
DrBoost SuperDork
5/21/11 6:36 p.m.

As much of a dyed-in-the-wool Jeeper I am, I likes me some of those riceX4's. The Trooper has always been in the back of my mind as a very cool sleeper wheeling rig.

RossD
RossD SuperDork
5/21/11 6:48 p.m.

I think my dads did quite well.

Bench Racer (BowtieBandit)
Bench Racer (BowtieBandit) Reader
5/21/11 7:38 p.m.

In reply to m4ff3w:

Laforza.... STAY AWAY! They can be found online stupid cheap, and were a sortof competitor attempt at the range rover style of over the top luxury SUV, however I've heard bad things of their electronics, and although they are american V8 powered, the electrical gremlins can be disatrous.

I'd rather have something with some aftermarket, like an XJ jeep, or even an H3 Hummer.

mattmacklind
mattmacklind SuperDork
5/21/11 8:15 p.m.
EricM wrote: Montero is on the list of frequent Craigslist searches. As is the 1988 Dodge Raider (I just love that boxy little thing). I am also hoping for something north of 15 mpg, regular not premium fuel.

I have always wanted a Raider, they are awesome. Test drove one once but didn't buy it. They are getting scarce and more expensive. Those who have them don't let them go easily (same for SWB Monteros).

Here's a current ad for one in my area. $4K for an '87:

http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/2322744665.html

Sultan
Sultan HalfDork
9/14/12 10:55 p.m.
mattmacklind wrote:
I have always wanted a Raider, they are awesome. Test drove one once but didn't buy it. They are getting scarce and more expensive. Those who have them don't let them go easily (same for SWB Monteros). Here's a current ad for one in my area. $4K for an '87: http://kansascity.craigslist.org/ctd/2322744665.html

SOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOO COOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOOL!

phaze1todd
phaze1todd Reader
9/14/12 11:08 p.m.

curtis73
curtis73 GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
9/14/12 11:21 p.m.

Full size van with a 4x4 conversion? I bought a Ford E350 with the Powerstroke for that reason. Right now its a camper, but haven't gotten to the 4x4 conversion yet.

I'll go out on a limb... first gen Sportage? Full-frame, RWD, and good room inside. It was built alongside Ford and Mazda vehicles for other markets, parts are cheap, and it comes with a box of condoms that you'll never use because its a SPORTAGE.

... But seriously, look at the sportage.

HiTempguy
HiTempguy SuperDork
9/15/12 1:21 a.m.

Wait, so why not a diesel Liberty?? They are supposedly pretty awesome AND get wicked mpg...

As for the hummer comments, I have a friend who has a H3. He goes wherever the Toyota offroad club goes, and those guys mean serious business.

nepa03focus
nepa03focus New Reader
9/15/12 2:00 a.m.

Just to be different, I say get a Pontiac Aztek with the little tent thing and some rally lights and skid plates

EricM
EricM SuperDork
9/15/12 6:08 a.m.

Holy zombie thread.

I drive a 2001 Cherokee, see avatar for details.

Eric

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed Dork
9/15/12 6:33 a.m.

Trooper, 4Runner, Xterra, Tracker, Montero, another XJ or WJ (Jeep GC), Land Rover, Hummer all are good possibilities.

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
nyZuWJbVRBraJsP718BGlB5GJrPkT5wLqIPsuF9AnfaC7ew4p7Or6oOTUQ9grQvq