1 2 3 4
frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/27/22 1:37 p.m.
03Panther said:
SV reX said:

In reply to Steve_Jones :

Don't go there. 

Most of us already know the story of how Frenchy hauled 14 forests of timber over the course of 3 decades with a 1/2 ton Chevrolet with a half million miles on it. 

The picture works. I'll allow it. I'm glad to see the repeat of the story avoided. 

Can't count the number of unrelated threads that's been told on! I do believe he overloaded it a LOT, and still got 371K. I also believe that truck still has the original shocks. What I don't believe is the original shocks were good for 371K, as he has claimed. It's been the same as not having a shocks for a long, long time surprise

Good question on the shocks.  I believe they still worked.  It's a bit hard to tell on-a  4x4 but they never gave me the dipsy-doodle that bad shocks do.  Nor could you ever push down on a fender and move it.  
 Maybe what saved it is it had the z71 suspension package which had the good shocks as part of the package. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/27/22 3:03 p.m.

I did not ask a question about shocks. I made a statement, and I know it to be true. Last half of its life, (or possibly more) the shocks were metal tubes with rods that moved in and out, without any resistance. You have the mechanical knowledge to know that, and we have no clue why it brings you pleasure to pretend your oblivious, just to be argumentative. 
There is an old saying that "arguing with a fool, is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. All it does is get you dirty, and after a while, you realize the pig enjoys it!"

We are both the pigs, in case you missed that blush

twowheeled
twowheeled Reader
7/27/22 5:28 p.m.

speaking of shocks, to my dismay the sedona blew a rear shock seal. This was the first trip we put on 1400lbs of bricks with 300lbs driver/passenger.  Rated payload on that van is 1550lbs, but I did jetison the rear seats to help remove ~120lbs and we were half a tank empty. I checked before starting the haul and it still had 2 inches of travel and was not sitting on the bumpstops. So what caused the shock to leak? Rear coils and KYB excel-G shocks were installed just last year. 

03Panther
03Panther UberDork
7/27/22 9:38 p.m.

In reply to twowheeled :

I would apologize for derailing the thread a few times (oooh look. Squirrel)

But I think you got your info a while ago, and we are all just having fun, now?

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/27/22 9:57 p.m.
03Panther said:

I did not ask a question about shocks. I made a statement, and I know it to be true. Last half of its life, (or possibly more) the shocks were metal tubes with rods that moved in and out, without any resistance. You have the mechanical knowledge to know that, and we have no clue why it brings you pleasure to pretend your oblivious, just to be argumentative. 
There is an old saying that "arguing with a fool, is like wrestling with a pig in the mud. All it does is get you dirty, and after a while, you realize the pig enjoys it!"

We are both the pigs, in case you missed that blush

I've driven enough vehicles to know if the shocks are as you claim, just a metal tube and rod. 
     Usually at some part of the shocks life oil will leak out and give a visual indication of failure.  
 That never occurred. I typically changed my own oil. Yes I looked. It's why I did it myself. Nor did I ever feel the floating feeling of shocks not doing their job.  
 I wonder why you who had never driven the truck or worked on it or ridden in it feel so sure you are right and I have to be wrong?  
    I do admit that that mileage and those overloads would tend to cause you to feel right.  But maybe when down on the bump stops the shocks aren't moving.  And maybe when empty the shocks don't move much either.  I don't know why the rubber in the suspension was still working.  No clunks or thunks  etc. 

The rust the last 5 years went from barely noticeable to doors and fenders flapping. The brake lines rusted through 2 times in that last 5 years. 

frenchyd
frenchyd MegaDork
7/27/22 9:59 p.m.
03Panther said:

In reply to twowheeled :

I would apologize for derailing the thread a few times (oooh look. Squirrel)

But I think you got your info a while ago, and we are all just having fun, now?

That does happen to a lot of these after the issue is solved.  

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
jwfKcN8fguqBOxiBqOAyAJhPsbEcYQapRgi1UlvoPt9HPebbRMWE9c1yLUXxEzCv