jstein77
jstein77 UltraDork
4/19/18 3:49 p.m.

So this was in my parking lot today:

I've heard these have traction issues with the single rear wheel.  That got me thinking; has anyone ever made a 3-wheel-drive trike?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit SuperDork
4/19/18 4:31 p.m.

I think someone makes a kit to put two tire on the rear. That would help.

wearymicrobe
wearymicrobe UberDork
4/19/18 4:34 p.m.

A few people make 4 wheel kits for them. Not sure how they are registered then. Are they cars or are then motorcycles with a sidecar or what. California definitely would not allow it.

Kreb
Kreb GRM+ Memberand UberDork
4/19/18 4:49 p.m.

If I were to build a trike, it'd be FWD. 

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
4/19/18 4:56 p.m.

The can am spyder also being a 3 wheeler too gets its power from the one rear wheel but it’s more like a atv or motorcycle with the driver located more to the front and sitting higher up. There have been 4 wheel conversions on them aswell.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
4/19/18 4:58 p.m.

But with either of them just be thankful it has 2 front wheels instead of just one lol

Floating Doc
Floating Doc GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
4/19/18 8:29 p.m.

I work in Daytona, see stuff like this almost daily. 

Fueled by Caffeine
Fueled by Caffeine MegaDork
4/19/18 8:37 p.m.

I live in Minnesota... Polaris design  center is 45 min from my house...  I see a few around...  but  you'd think they'd be as thick as victory bikes were aroudn here... but no.... not so..

stanger_missle
stanger_missle GRM+ Memberand Dork
4/19/18 9:34 p.m.

In reply to Kreb :

Vanderhall has the funkyness you are after:

https://vanderhallusa.com/models/

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
4/19/18 9:54 p.m.

I can't be the only person here wishing for this instead. 

Trackmouse
Trackmouse UltraDork
4/19/18 9:56 p.m.
wearymicrobe said:

A few people make 4 wheel kits for them. Not sure how they are registered then. Are they cars or are then motorcycles with a sidecar or what. California definitely would not allow it.

That’s berkleying incredible. I love it.

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
4/20/18 5:00 a.m.

In reply to Trackmouse :

Yes , that is cool. Like a "Vette Cart" meets "Transformers".

TIGMOTORSPORTS
TIGMOTORSPORTS Dork
4/20/18 5:01 a.m.

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

These look like Snowmobiles on wheels

NickD
NickD UltraDork
4/20/18 7:20 a.m.
TIGMOTORSPORTS said:

In reply to MotorsportsGordon :

These look like Snowmobiles on wheels

That's because they basically are. Bombardier owns Can-Am and Ski-Doo

wlkelley3
wlkelley3 UltraDork
4/20/18 11:39 a.m.

There's a guy locally that has one. Looks odd seeing him driving it wearing a half helmet. Guess he has to wear a helmet since it is technically classified as a motorcycle.

MotorsportsGordon
MotorsportsGordon Reader
4/20/18 12:16 p.m.

also made in Quebec is the Campagna T-Rex. In Alberta the 3 wheelers all fall under motorcycles and if you take your motorcycle test with them you get a special motorcycle license that allows you only to ride 3 wheelers.

edizzle89
edizzle89 Dork
4/20/18 12:34 p.m.

there is only one good brand of 3 wheelers out there, and they are now illegal to manufacture

Aaron_King
Aaron_King GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
4/20/18 3:11 p.m.

Every year when the Good Guys show comes to Columbus a bunch of people stay up on the North side on town in a cluster of hotels and restaurants.  Car people being car people there are usually people cruising around the road that rings the area with other people watching the cars go by.  At least until the police show up, in front of the Winking Lizard there is a spot for burnouts.  Last year there was a lady with a Slingshot giving rides and doing not bad burouts for like 20 minutes.  She got a lot of cheers.

Grtechguy
Grtechguy MegaDork
4/22/18 10:34 a.m.
edizzle89 said:

there is only one good brand of 3 wheelers out there, and they are now illegal to manufacture

Not true.   The cease decree was only 10 years (ended in 97).      While a ton of fun,  4 wheelers are more stable and keep the lawyers happy.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
yBspOFKsmVEN3EoGxf9sv8jpGdbqHkgkCiSLjEq9rMYIz21dDNSJipA43tMTq6uv