1 2
SpeedTheory
SpeedTheory GRM+ Memberand Reader
9/14/12 2:48 p.m.

Been scouring CL for a 500 mile radius from the DC area. Nothing decent at all. Either a bunch of rustbuckets, rattletraps, automatics, or some combination of the above. Looking for a White/Black/Silver '93-'95 325i/is. Manual, prefer black interior but not a dealbreaker otherwise. I can't find a single damned one worth a damn.

/rant.

Appleseed
Appleseed PowerDork
9/14/12 2:56 p.m.

Atlanta?

SpeedTheory
9/14/12 2:57 p.m.

I've been looking on there too :).

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/12 3:00 p.m.

Welcome to the bottom of the depreciation curve.

SpeedTheory
9/14/12 3:02 p.m.

Yeah, aware. I figure I was hoping that, like Miatas, there would be a few that, while 2x as much as the rest of the cars out there, would be in decent shape. I've found that to be the case with E30s, E46s, Miatas, etc. Not so much with the E36 non-M.

njansenv
njansenv Dork
9/14/12 3:05 p.m.

It's true. I halfheartedly keep an eye out for clean 328i/M3 sedans, but they're not easy to come by....

motomoron
motomoron Dork
9/14/12 3:08 p.m.

Also be looking at autotrader, cars.com, bimmerforums, bimmerfest, roadfly, eBay.

I find the autotrader search parameters to be the best to drill down directly to what you want.

lnlds
lnlds New Reader
9/14/12 3:10 p.m.

They're there just the owners know that a well maintained example may be worth more. When I was looking for a car I found a couple of high mileage 170k clean e36s for ~3000. I don't know what range you're looking in and the area, but they're out there.

SpeedTheory
9/14/12 3:32 p.m.

I'd have no problem spending $6K on the right car. I just can't find THE RIGHT car.

Keith Tanner
Keith Tanner GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/12 3:38 p.m.
SpeedTheory wrote: Yeah, aware. I figure I was hoping that, like Miatas, there would be a few that, while 2x as much as the rest of the cars out there, would be in decent shape. I've found that to be the case with E30s, E46s, Miatas, etc. Not so much with the E36 non-M.

The difference is that Miatas are toys, not transport. You find the precious ones that stay in the garage while the Real Car gets driven. M cars might also fall in that category - although I have to admit I drove the Miata yesterday instead of the M5 because it was raining

E46s are still fairly new. E30's are old, so they're getting fixed up. Still, I agree - there should be a few somewhere. Maybe the owners of nice E36s are hanging on to them because they're not worth selling!

lnlds
lnlds New Reader
9/14/12 3:44 p.m.

Haha How bout green? http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/mld/cto/3259438667.html http://washingtondc.craigslist.org/nva/cto/3258087832.html

This black one is meh, seems enthusiast owned but is a little rough cosmetically http://annapolis.craigslist.org/cto/3232407036.html

Edit was there a reason you wanted 93-95? over a later model? I know there are subtle differences between e36s but i'm not sure what the advantage other than OBD1 + m52 I think

SpeedTheory
9/14/12 3:47 p.m.

ALL of the good ones are that hideous green. Trying to avoid an M52-based car (going to be an STX autocross car and don't think the increased torque offsets the gearing change + weight).

I know I'm being too picky, too :-/.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
9/14/12 3:57 p.m.

damn.....I really like that green on E36s. My Dad's neighbor has an M3 that color and I've always wanted that color instead of my car's black.

Black sucks if it rains where you live.....or if there is sun. It does look great for the 10 minutes it's clean though.

You may want to check the classifieds in Roundel. (BMWCCA mag) You will pay a premium, but that's where many meticulously maintained BMWs can be found.

SpeedTheory
9/14/12 4:07 p.m.

^Been checking their online section. Is the in-mag different?

Kenny_McCormic
Kenny_McCormic Reader
9/14/12 4:14 p.m.

Try finding a E30 318i worth a damn, then you can complain.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
9/14/12 4:16 p.m.

So you want to have 2 autox cars that you never drive?

nderwater
nderwater UberDork
9/14/12 5:16 p.m.

My E36 M3 is a legit beater. So much stuff needs replacing that it makes me a sad panda to drive it for more than short trips. Pretty soon it will be time to strip it down to be a track-only car.

oldtin
oldtin SuperDork
9/14/12 5:29 p.m.

Just means there's lots of donor cars out there. I'm thinking maybe next season the 318ti gets a heart transplant from a running junker.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/14/12 6:38 p.m.

^^^ that is my plan

docwyte
docwyte HalfDork
9/14/12 6:48 p.m.

look in roundel. They'll be more money, but they'll be in good shape and properly maintained.

speedblind
speedblind Reader
9/14/12 6:59 p.m.

Buy a car from AZ/CA and make the drive. I wouldn't buy a 10-15 YO car from the North East. No how.

Teh E36 M3
Teh E36 M3 Dork
9/14/12 7:16 p.m.

I've got a '95 M3 I'm casually thinking of selling in the DC area. It's that hideous green though. haha. I actually don't mind it.

SpeedTheory
9/14/12 7:58 p.m.

LOL @ Shawn. The Miata is going away.

moxnix
moxnix Reader
9/14/12 10:19 p.m.

Ohh well in that case let me know if there are any cheap miata parts coming up for sale.

I have to admit that thread on RRAX got me thinking about STX... But I don't want more cars right now. I need to figure out how to trim down the herd not build it up more.

mad_machine
mad_machine GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
9/15/12 6:46 a.m.

my e36 is a hooptie.. soon to be a donor. While the engine and drivetrain and perfect and the interior is not bad.. the body is done for

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
4zRgaSkjvfTRvhO3WNXxtBQTWLWWHgpCP57ZiqJs9vV7OSZ4UXRO2VHxO3WcuXCu