jere
jere HalfDork
11/30/15 8:46 a.m.

I am thinking about picking an 04 ion redline quad coupe up this week. So i am looking for the good the bad and the ugly on these things. It looks ok on paper but these things are also a gm product so i am pretty skeptical at the same time. Anyone have any real world experience or first person hearsay? Any ion specific problems to look for in the redline variant?

Stefan (Not Bruce)
Stefan (Not Bruce) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
11/30/15 8:47 a.m.

Aren't they just a Cobalt SS in Saturn guise?

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
11/30/15 8:48 a.m.

worst thing about them is the previous owners, imo

how much?

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/30/15 8:50 a.m.

My wife drives an 04 ion non redline. Other then the fact it loves to destroy sway bar endlinks and 3 recalls its been a solid car. 10 years and 105k miles of ownership. It is always serviced with full synthetic per gm recomendation so it doesnt have the timing chain noise issue that so many have.

belteshazzar
belteshazzar PowerDork
11/30/15 8:57 a.m.

i was under the impression the timing chain's were less problematic 2004 and later, just in general, due to better lubrication.

jere
jere HalfDork
11/30/15 9:00 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: worst thing about them is the previous owners, imo how much?

$1800 with a crunched front bumper bad wheel bearing and a silly wing on the back... The silly wing is a factory defect tho

Unmodded for certain, but not sure that it was unmolested.

dropstep
dropstep HalfDork
11/30/15 9:45 a.m.
belteshazzar wrote: i was under the impression the timing chain's were less problematic 2004 and later, just in general, due to better lubrication.

There still problematic if you try to run conventional oil for the default 7500 mile oil life. Up until atleast 06.

jere
jere HalfDork
11/30/15 10:36 a.m.

Is the problem the tensioner going bad and wreaking havoc on the chain or is the problem more involved? Could the tensisioner be swapped out and resolve any potential issues?

Gearheadotaku
Gearheadotaku GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
11/30/15 7:22 p.m.

I believe the chain/tensioner/etc can be updated. 2007 was the improved design.

If the car runs well and just needs the bumper and a few other bits, it could be a good deal. Talk him down to $1400 and a few tweeks later, you've got a good challenge car.

jere
jere HalfDork
11/30/15 8:17 p.m.

I dont know if it will be challenge car material. I do have a $500 saturn s wagon in the driveway... I wonder if the motor, brakes could be swapped over...

Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
11/30/15 10:19 p.m.

Only 1 guy has done it to the spheres knowledge

Flat_Black13z
Flat_Black13z New Reader
11/30/15 11:11 p.m.

Ah, I haz found it. I bet that front bumper is worse than it looks. Does look unmolested though.

Dietcoke
Dietcoke Reader
12/1/15 12:12 a.m.

They're cool cars, I used to have one many moons ago. Make a good 250-260 with a pulley injectors and tune. Cyl4 known to go lean due to returnless rail, you can mod it to feed from both sides to fix it. Typical econobox interior, the recaros are nice if you're not a fat guy.

NickD
NickD Reader
12/1/15 5:49 a.m.
dropstep wrote:
belteshazzar wrote: i was under the impression the timing chain's were less problematic 2004 and later, just in general, due to better lubrication.
There still problematic if you try to run conventional oil for the default 7500 mile oil life. Up until atleast 06.

Timing chains are still a problem with certain Ecotec motors. '10-and-up Equinox/Terrains usually need them changed at 60K, even when the customer takes care of the vehicle.

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/1/15 7:00 a.m.
jere wrote: I dont know if it will be challenge car material. I do have a $500 saturn s wagon in the driveway... I wonder if the motor, brakes could be swapped over...

Little bit of fab work to adapt the cradle, but it can be done. And it will be pretty damn fast with a few mods.

Not a lot of knowledge out there on it though.

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
12/1/15 7:02 a.m.

The Recaro seats are awesome, some of the best factory seats ever.

They're a lot of fun to drive, for what they are, but ironically the red line is too low from the factory. It's surprisingly easy to hit the rev limiter. I guess some of the factory "stage" tuning kits raise the red line. If I was modding one that would be something to look at.

They're prone to throwing check engine codes but are not unreliable cars.

jere
jere HalfDork
12/1/15 8:02 a.m.
Flat_Black13z wrote: Ah, I haz found it. I bet that front bumper is worse than it looks. Does look unmolested though.

Yeah it is one big CD i was trying not to advertise his ad before i decided.

Whatever is effected the hood latch got pushed around too. Hopefully the wheel bearing is an unrelated issue.

jere
jere HalfDork
12/1/15 8:09 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote:
jere wrote: I dont know if it will be challenge car material. I do have a $500 saturn s wagon in the driveway... I wonder if the motor, brakes could be swapped over...
Little bit of fab work to adapt the cradle, but it can be done. And it will be pretty damn fast with a few mods. Not a lot of knowledge out there on it though.

It would be nice to shorten the wheel base and drop a few hundred pounds. I could definitely do cradle changes and make some new mounts...

ProDarwin
ProDarwin UberDork
12/1/15 8:13 a.m.

Its like 500+ lbs...

Please make a detailed build thread if you do it. The last guy who did it took a few potato pics and included nearly zero details. I'd be more inclined to give it a shot if I was confident in the wheel placement/front end geometry (caster, control arm angle, travel) once swapped... currently have no idea what that's like.

jere
jere HalfDork
12/1/15 8:24 a.m.
dculberson wrote: The Recaro seats are awesome, some of the best factory seats ever. They're a lot of fun to drive, for what they are, but ironically the red line is too low from the factory. It's surprisingly easy to hit the rev limiter. I guess some of the factory "stage" tuning kits raise the red line. If I was modding one that would be something to look at. They're prone to throwing check engine codes but are not unreliable cars.

Good to know,about the seats and all. The 6450 limit is silly low. I wonder what went wrong there. I have to look at more of the aftermarket if i buy the car. Looking at that stuff before will mess wih my reasoning ablitlies too much..

jere
jere HalfDork
12/1/15 8:30 a.m.
ProDarwin wrote: Its like 500+ lbs... Please make a detailed build thread if you do it. The last guy who did it took a few potato pics and included nearly zero details. I'd be more inclined to give it a shot if I was confident in the wheel placement/front end geometry (caster, control arm angle, travel) once swapped... currently have no idea what that's like.

Wow 500lbs... If i end up buying the car one of the first things i will be doing is taking some measurements for curiosity's sake if nothing else.

jere
jere HalfDork
12/1/15 7:31 p.m.

Heres the cl ad from the cd/vhs section below

You only live once Got it today for $1300 +$16 for the title, its pretty rough.

The bad: Data port is no good, watercooled intercooler radiator is low/empty, change oil light is on valve covers leaking. Lots of switches arent working, passenger jumper door has a chunk cut out of it, door seals and sunroof seals are shot. Drivers door window moves independently of the motor/with a hand one each side of the glass. All four tires are dry rotted, one of which has low tread. The motor/trans/shifer mounts are probably toast, reverse is a fight to get the shifter in its gate slot.the shifter knob and boot are trashed One wheel bearing and the front bumper + hood latch need replaced.

The good: almost no impact damadge from the front collision, just a kiss in the aluminum bumper, front/seats are in great shape. Seems to run pretty well,no major leaks or milky coolant, fresh belt, no blown shocks or hoakie springs. Looks like 120,000 miles on everything, newer battery.

All in all i can live/deal with this stuff. At least if nothing blows up in the time being.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
6feuNdTrAIPUWtYdlxbC4TMZVnTM1bPe3Co7mdhe3ZjR98pXwkXRrb2ixWoVv6Gh