1 2 3 4
Javelin (Forum Supporter)
Javelin (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
7/13/20 12:53 p.m.
MINIzguy said:
Javelin (Forum Supporter) said:

Even actual toys. I've been making a killing on eBay selling models, slot cars, and die casts.

Great to know. Time to get rid of some 1:18 scale cars I have no use for anymore.

My rolling 30-day average on eBay has been in 4 digits since mid April. I average 5-8 boxes a week going out. I can't list things fast enough.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
Ian F (Forum Supporter) MegaDork
7/13/20 12:56 p.m.

The bicycle shortage has a certain sense of irony to it.  On a regional mtn bike forum I'm on, when all of this started back in March some shop owners were concerned they might not survive this. Instead, it was completely the opposite: selling bikes faster than they can get them and weeks of repair back-log and parts shortages. Massive amounts of OT and employee burn-out.  One shop I go to shut down for the entire week after the 4th to give his staff a rest.  My guess is it was paid as well. 

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
7/13/20 1:05 p.m.

I've jumped on ebay after procrastinating for longer than I care to admit. A modified 9.0 Daiwa fishing reel that I've used twice in 30 years sold quickly, car parts are listed, old tools, tires, and other assorted junk (actually good stuff, but if it's just cluttering up the garage, then by default, it's officially junk).

Stuff's moving, I've raised enough money to buy an OEM timing belt set for the WRX. Lots more to sell, especially fishing tackle.

What I've really got to do is finally let go of my longboards. I'll be 65 in a couple of months, and haven't board surfed in ten years. Not sure how to sell them, the vintage G&S is own of the best riding and most historically significant long boards from that era. It's probably worth at least four figures, but shipping a 9'4" surfboard doesn't seem practical.

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/13/20 1:14 p.m.

In reply to Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) :

Boeing came up with a way to ship 787 fuselages. Any prospective buyer for your surfboard will accept the shipping hassle.

calteg
calteg Dork
7/13/20 1:21 p.m.

Same with firearms as well. When 'rona first hit, I sold four of my pistols, each over MSRP. With three of them, I had cash in hand within an hour of posting. 

volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter)
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) PowerDork
7/13/20 1:24 p.m.
calteg said:

Same with firearms as well. When 'rona first hit, I sold four of my pistols, each over MSRP. With three of them, I had cash in hand within an hour of posting. 

Not to get political, but with the decreasing poll #'s of an incumbent Republican, and increasing poll #s of a Democratic challenger, stock prices for firearms manufacturers have been spiking.  I imagine there will be shortages of new firearms and ammo, too. 

93gsxturbo
93gsxturbo SuperDork
7/13/20 1:32 p.m.

I sold a set of cruddy OEM Tektro hydraulic disks to a guy for 50 bucks today.  Said he cant find any anywhere and was happy to have "something"

I was happy to have them gone because they were crappy.  Win-Win

Been thinking of listing my fat tire bike.  Its a pretty nice and modified Specialized but its also worn out - would cost another $1k to get it back to perfect and if I sell it for $1200, put another $1k to a new one this fall....

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed UltraDork
7/13/20 1:43 p.m.

Yep, bicycles, kayaks, small pools, fire pits, bbq grills, deck furniture, appliances and on and on. I have tried to buy all of those and they are either not taking any orders or they are months behind on filling orders. 

Cactus
Cactus HalfDork
7/13/20 1:58 p.m.

Where's the best place to list firearms for sale?

chandler
chandler PowerDork
7/13/20 4:34 p.m.

Here?

edit: I don't think that's a great idea actually

spandak
spandak HalfDork
7/13/20 4:40 p.m.

In reply to Cactus :

Depends on the state I imagine as laws vary wildly. 

buzzboy
buzzboy Dork
7/13/20 5:36 p.m.
Ian F (Forum Supporter) said:

Instead, it was completely the opposite: selling bikes faster than they can get them and weeks of repair back-log and parts shortages. Massive amounts of OT and employee burn-out.

I'm honestly surprised my work hasn't been like that. We're selling surfboards faster than ever but my repair business has been relatively slow. Last year at this time I was working ~35 hours per week on repairs, this year I'm doing ~15 per week.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) said:

What I've really got to do is finally let go of my longboards. I'll be 65 in a couple of months, and haven't board surfed in ten years. Not sure how to sell them, the vintage G&S is own of the best riding and most historically significant long boards from that era. It's probably worth at least four figures, but shipping a 9'4" surfboard doesn't seem practical.

Shipping surfboards isn't terrible. Generally we try not to ship longboards, but we have. We're pretty good at packing them. An old G&S would be pretty cool. We don't do a lot with vintage stuff, though I just finished up restoring a Da Cat. Usually for big stuff we try and find somebody going that direction. Heck, two winters back I had one on top of the Jeep from NC to CO. I figure it was worth about 50$ in gas having it on the roof, which was way cheaper than shipping and I was already making that journey.

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/13/20 5:36 p.m.
volvoclearinghouse (Forum Supporter) said:
calteg said:

Not to get political, but with the decreasing poll #'s of an incumbent Republican, and increasing poll #s of a Democratic challenger, stock prices for firearms manufacturers have been spiking.  I imagine there will be shortages of new firearms and ammo, too. 

It's not just "run of the mill" stuff... Collector grade guns are bringing crazy prices the last few months.  Reminds me a little of BAT...

Rodan
Rodan Dork
7/13/20 5:38 p.m.
spandak said:

In reply to Cactus :

Depends on the state I imagine as laws vary wildly. 

Basically, any internet/interstate deal has to go through a licensed dealer on the buyer's end, and comply with all local and federal laws.  Face to face deals between non-dealers vary by state.

bigdaddylee82
bigdaddylee82 UltraDork
7/13/20 6:54 p.m.
Cactus said:

Where's the best place to list firearms for sale?

Give us a crack at it.

Shipping FFL to FFL isn't really any more of a hassle than going to a UPS or FedEx store is for any non regulated package.

You can legally ship to an FFL, but most FFLs won't accept from a non FFL holder for liability reasons.

Armslist is the Craigslist of bangs sticks.

neverendingprojectgarage
neverendingprojectgarage New Reader
7/13/20 7:14 p.m.

In reply to Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) :

Agreed. Most of the humor here on GRM is loose but respectful. It's probably the main reason why this is (imo) the best car forum on the internet, the culture here is so much better here than your average forum. 

Carbon (Forum Supporter)
Carbon (Forum Supporter) UltraDork
7/14/20 12:27 p.m.
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:

This makes me eager to re-sell the high-mileage Volvo when I'm done with it.

Also, let's not use lightly-racist terms like "Kung Flu" when referring to COVID-19. It's believed to have originated in China, but it's a global problem to deal with and using terminology like that doesn't help a thing.

I'm surprised, thought total economic collapse would make for some deals as a buyer.

re: brake-l8/reader's comment...

Maybe we should have a conversation about not turning every single thread into a sjw battleground. Maybe people can say things that you don't like or agree with and just move on and keep your opinion to yourself. 

mfennell
mfennell Reader
7/14/20 12:58 p.m.

The bicycle shortage has a certain sense of irony to it.  On a regional mtn bike forum I'm on, when all of this started back in March some shop owners were concerned they might not survive this. Instead, it was completely the opposite: selling bikes faster than they can get them and weeks of repair back-log and parts shortages. Massive amounts of OT and employee burn-out.  One shop I go to shut down for the entire week after the 4th to give his staff a rest.  My guess is it was paid as well. 

NJ?  That thread is my favorite.  My local shop in Middletown is only open 3 days/wk and curbside only.  The rest of the week is fixing dumpster fire bikes (lots of parts getting hard to find) and building bikes that are sold before they arrive.

Recon1342
Recon1342 Dork
7/14/20 2:00 p.m.
Carbon (Forum Supporter) said:
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) said:

This makes me eager to re-sell the high-mileage Volvo when I'm done with it.

Also, let's not use lightly-racist terms like "Kung Flu" when referring to COVID-19. It's believed to have originated in China, but it's a global problem to deal with and using terminology like that doesn't help a thing.

I'm surprised, thought total economic collapse would make for some deals as a buyer.

re: brake-l8/reader's comment...

Maybe we should have a conversation about not turning every single thread into a sjw battleground. Maybe people can say things that you don't like or agree with and just move on and keep your opinion to yourself. 

Let's see, I've heard Kung Flu, Moo-shu flu, Crayola virus, Corolla virus, The 'rona, Mexican Beer Flu, and just plain Covid. Seems pretty equal to me, but I'm an shiny happy person...

Sold off a few things, and it doesn't seem to matter what they are, people are just buying stuff. 

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
7/14/20 3:01 p.m.
mfennell said:

NJ?  That thread is my favorite.  My local shop in Middletown is only open 3 days/wk and curbside only.  The rest of the week is fixing dumpster fire bikes (lots of parts getting hard to find) and building bikes that are sold before they arrive.

On mtbNJ?  Yep - that thread is pretty entertaining. My screen name there is the same as here (and pretty much everywhere). 

GCrites80s
GCrites80s HalfDork
7/14/20 3:06 p.m.

Used video games and systems are also through the roof.

Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter)
Brake_L8 (Forum Supporter) Reader
7/14/20 3:24 p.m.

This post has received too many downvotes to be displayed.

eastsideTim
eastsideTim PowerDork
7/14/20 3:46 p.m.
 GCrites80s said:

Hmm, maybe I should dig out and test my original XBox and put it up for sale.

Ian F (Forum Supporter)
7/14/20 4:08 p.m.
eastsideTim said:
 GCrites80s said:

Hmm, maybe I should dig out and test my original XBox and put it up for sale.

Same here... along with a PS and another Xbox model (360?) I bought off this forum and never even took out of the box.

DirtyBird222
DirtyBird222 UberDork
7/14/20 4:14 p.m.
mad_machine (Forum Supporter) said:
spandak said:

Going through the other side of this experience right now. I sold my bike at a fair price to a friends friend and now Everything I'm looking at is $1k higher than it was before the shut downs. I don't have a need currently so I'm hoping to wait it out but sheesh it's crazy

Wait till next year when things are hopefully back to normal  They are working on vaccines and Europe and China are close to clinical trials.  Once people can fall back into their old grooves, they will unload the toys they are not using.

I would be wary of any information coming from official Chinese mouthpieces regarding COVID-19 but that's a topic for another forum. 

I've had a miserable time trying to sell my E36 M3. I've even come down on the price and i keep getting offered 318ti prices. I'm glad others are having luck in this market. 

If you had or have an excess of workout equipment - you could also probably net a decent profit as well. I got lucky when all of this COVID stuff started happening I stopped by a "Play it Again Sports" that was getting ready to close up due to California mandates. I ended up scoring a $500 when new Victoria Skim Board for $50 and a few kettle bells of various weight for $0.50 on the lbs. The manager had no idea when they were going to be able to re-open so he made deals on a bunch of stuff for me. I'm really glad I got those weights and skim board as they've been my forms of exercise during the pandemic. 

1 2 3 4

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ncXD1EMoZrbLXosftbDvpE9VHYx2EDnvfDOkDO9xDCaXR2G7gAuw7a0VrCfamr4g