Toyman01
Toyman01 GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
11/22/09 10:15 a.m.

After three years of on and off work,(mostly off) the RX-7 got painted yesterday. Three coats of white now cover countless hours of welding, filling and sanding. My eldest has been harassing me about it for a while. He and the daughter usually drive it at autocrosses. I guess he was tired of the primer. He called at 7:30 yesterday morning and asked again. I finally said OK. Got the final sanding done and three coats of Valspar white on it. Turned out pretty good for cheap paint and doing it in the driveway. (no garage) Tractor Supply had it for $15 a gallon. I'll post some better pictures after I get it assembled. It's raining off and on today, so it will probably be next weekend.

Painted

Painted2

See I actually do work on cars...

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/22/09 10:50 a.m.

Valspar? like indoor wall paint?

socalwrench
socalwrench New Reader
11/22/09 11:04 a.m.
maroon92 wrote: Valspar? like indoor wall paint?

Valspar is the brand. They do make household paints.

Right on with the paint. Makes me want to paint my FB very soon (after I figure out the front suspension).

Toyman01
11/22/09 11:43 a.m.

Valspar makes all kinds of paints including auto and boat.

I have painted a car with latex and a roller before. Of course it was a LeMons car.

maroon92
maroon92 SuperDork
11/22/09 1:46 p.m.

sorry, I had no Idea Valspar made anything other than interior paint.

it looks good.

4cylndrfury
4cylndrfury Dork
11/22/09 3:11 p.m.

a clean white car...nice
minty fresh 80's goodness
now just needs bacon

jwdmotorsports
jwdmotorsports HalfDork
11/22/09 3:45 p.m.

Hmmm........I may need to go by the Tractor Supply and see what they have for use on the $2010 car.

JoeyM
JoeyM Reader
11/22/09 3:54 p.m.
maroon92 wrote: sorry, I had no Idea Valspar made anything other than interior paint. it looks good.

Valspar makes Tractor Supply Company's house brand of farm equipment paints. (a.k.a Best Paint System or BPS) They also make automotive paints in many price ranges; everything from Plasti-kote to high end House of Kolor stuff.

"""""

cwh
cwh SuperDork
11/22/09 3:54 p.m.

Wish we had a Tractor Supply near here. Closest is several hundred miles away.

Toyman01
11/22/09 5:55 p.m.

The local one has all of their Truck and trailer paints at half off. It glossed up a lot better than I expected. Slow to dry though. Probably why the gloss turned out so well.

cwh, i feel for you, lucky for me there are two within thirty miles of me. Shoot, if you need something, give me a shout. I'll send it to you. I drive by it at least once a week. Looking at their web site, they ship too.

The_Jed
The_Jed Reader
11/22/09 6:13 p.m.

I see you have some foxstang "10 hole" wheels.

Did you mill/drill the bolt circle and hub bore on the wheels?

Jensenman
Jensenman SuperDork
11/22/09 7:28 p.m.

Strange the kid was more worried about the paint than the slushbox. We gotta work that swap into the schedule too.

The paint looks good! Where's the Abomination bedding down, since the 7's in the trailer?

Toyman01
11/22/09 9:29 p.m.

The_Jed, I used some PSD Variation (wobble) lug bolts from Lakeshore Wheel and Tire and some custom made hub centric rings.

Linky: http://www.lakeshorewheelandtire.com/store/index.php?action=item&id=2888

There was some question about durability, but after 10-15 autocross runs and a fair amount of street use they don't seem to be any different than regular bolts.

J-man, the autotragic swap in in the works. I think I have everything for the swap, I just got to get to the box of parts that are buried in the back of my shop under a small ton of stuff. Life and work keep interfering. That and I hate working under a car.

Toyman01
11/25/09 3:58 p.m.

Partly back together. Will finish the rest over the holidays.

Photobucket

jamscal
jamscal HalfDork
11/25/09 4:52 p.m.

Looks great, but I'm biased.

I used the cheapest automotive paint to paint my challenge car a few years ago.

The black was from Tractor Supply.

10 holes rims: I had them too. I redrilled and tapped the front hubs myself (clocked them and backed the Grade 8 all-thread (I think) with jam nuts.

The rears I drilled the axles on the car, and used some of the knurled press-in lug studs from Summitt. I 'pressed' them with an impact gun.

Pic:

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
zzQQhmbqu87g68zrqqwL0yxRvHXJj6ca9OkJZbkdCV6rwpfF6ZcHpeXK1bTWMFkY