1 2
irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/29/15 5:42 p.m.

I figure another two years with the WRX and I'll be ready to move on. Of the two directions I'll go, one is something like BR-Z and the other is some kind of sportwagon. Manual transmission (with three pedals) is non-negotiable requirement.

Just a quick browse at current sporty wagon offerings seems to show that pretty much nothing is even available with a manual transmission other than the CTS-V (which is really not what I'm looking for). Apparently no BMW wagons come with manual, which is pretty sad. And really just not that many real wagons out there. None of the Volvo wagons seem to be available with stick.

So what model year 2014-2015 wagons would fit my criteria? Something midsize (like an A4 or 3-series wagon, but not an Audi). Something I could buy for ~$25k two years from now. What am I forgetting? Also, must be RWD or AWD (unless the Mazda6 wagon comes here, that I might consider).

Or is there something a bit older (say, 2012+) that would have the m/t?

Or do I find a BMW wagon with a blown engine and swap in a manual from a wrecked non-wagon 3 series? lol..

EDIT: Also, let's pretend VAG products do not exist. I have no interest in any VW, and very little interest in any Audi, for a variety of reasons that are all probably silly.

keethrax
keethrax HalfDork
1/29/15 6:43 p.m.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/29/15 6:51 p.m.

Apparently this thread has no answer.

If Subaru would just bring the damn Levorg to the states, all would be good in my world...

mazdeuce
mazdeuce UberDork
1/29/15 7:27 p.m.

If you don't want a V Wagon, and you don't want a VAG product, I think you're out of luck. There are hatchbacks, and there are tall crossover thingies, but there are precious few actual wagons being sold in the US 2012-2014.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/29/15 7:50 p.m.

Try the Power Search section of www.fueleconomy.gov.
IF a manual trans wagon was sold in the US for the date range you give it then this search will return you its mpg.

2015-2014, seems you may have to settle for a Fiat 500L
or
Juke, Cube
Soul, Forte
Scions
Subarus

Include SUV's and you get Mazda CX-5, and Jeep Patriot
Add van and you get Mazda 5

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/29/15 8:47 p.m.

^^ this country sucks balls for cars......what a dreadful selection, and basically none of them are performance-oriented.

I would have thought that at least BM berkeleying W would have a freaking wagon of some kind with three pedals available at least for build order.....

HiTempguy
HiTempguy UberDork
1/29/15 8:58 p.m.

Pretty sure E46's were available with manuals in the early millennium. Get the nicest one you can find, put LS motor in it, drive it into the ground.

They are a modern enough car that with the right additions, you aren't giving anything up, and even low miles ones will be DIRT cheap (~$10k) compared to a brand new car or almost new car. Hell, skip the LS swap and just pay someone to slap a turbocharger on it.

Of course, a ctsv wagon would be better imo, but also pricier. And there is nothing wrong with the interior, handling, style, or general useability and ergonomics of an E46 wagon.

irish44j
irish44j PowerDork
1/29/15 9:01 p.m.
HiTempguy wrote: Pretty sure E46's were available with manuals in the early millennium. Get the nicest one you can find, put LS motor in it, drive it into the ground. They are a modern enough car that with the right additions, you aren't giving anything up, and even low miles ones will be DIRT cheap (~$10k) compared to a brand new car or almost new car. Hell, skip the LS swap and just pay someone to slap a turbocharger on it. Of course, a ctsv wagon would be better imo, but also pricier. And there is nothing wrong with the interior, handling, style, or general useability and ergonomics of an E46 wagon.

not coincidentally, this thread came into my mind as I spent my entire commute home behind an e46 wagon and kept on thinking how nice it looked.

Main problem is that an e46 is going to be as old or older than the car I currently drive (and slower and doesn't handle as well). But yeah....at least it would be cheaper I suppose. And a wagon.

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/29/15 9:12 p.m.

www.fueleconomy.gov shows 2012 as the last year for both:
2012 BMW 328i Sport Wagon 3.0 L, 6 cyl, Manual 6-spd, Premium Gasoline
2012 BMW 328i xDrive Sport Wagon 3.0 L, 6 cyl, Manual 6-spd, Premium Gasoline

Now, the hard part; finding one.
All this proves is that BMW went through the trouble of getting this combo certified for sale in the US for that year with a mpg rating. Does not mean that they actually sold any or received any orders for this combo.

unevolved
unevolved SuperDork
1/29/15 9:20 p.m.

I'm so sad this never made production.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/29/15 9:27 p.m.

Sadly I think that an e46 328 wagon is about the closest I can think of. Maybe a volvo but it will be fwd. Here is one of the local autoX instructors beautiful Hellrot 323i wagon

http://imgur.com/a/wLYz4

I mean come on, wagon+carousel at laguna = awesome

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
1/29/15 11:02 p.m.

Taking VAG cars out of the picture eliminates one of the few manufacturers that are still selling real wagons these days. I won't try and preach to you about it too much if you have your reasons but a 10-14 Jetta Sportwagen is a decent car. You can get a TDI or a 2.5 NA motor both with a manual trans. the 2.5 isn't anything to write home about. I can't speak too much for Audi but I think they went to all DSGs on the Avant (wagon) awhile ago.

If VW cares about their enthusiast base at all they will bring the damn Golf R wagon or the GTD wagon they have been teasing us with to America. I WILL own one of those if it happens.

Jaynen
Jaynen Dork
1/29/15 11:09 p.m.

I really wanted something slightly larger than my Jetta for double baby duty that was a sport wagon, but I didn't think even the 3series was much larger back seat wise. Those slightly older mercs looked like they would be awesome especially if you could find diesel but arent sporty and I don't even think they exist with both diesel and wagon

codrus
codrus GRM+ Memberand Dork
1/30/15 12:29 a.m.
Contradiction wrote: Taking VAG cars out of the picture eliminates one of the few manufacturers that are still selling real wagons these days. I won't try and preach to you about it too much if you have your reasons but a 10-14 Jetta Sportwagen is a decent car. You can get a TDI or a 2.5 NA motor both with a manual trans. the 2.5 isn't anything to write home about. I can't speak too much for Audi but I think they went to all DSGs on the Avant (wagon) awhile ago.

The Avants are all gone from the US. The only wagon you can get from Audi these days is the A4-based "allroad", which only comes with the 2.0T and the 8-speed tiptronic slushbox. Oh, and there are a half-dozen Q-something stupid SUV/crossover things.

toad9977
toad9977 Reader
1/30/15 9:28 a.m.

I know that the BMW e91 (e9x chasis wagon) came with a manual on some options. I saw a low mile example (2012 328i wagon, sport package, 6-speed, non x-drive) go for $35k this past year. I think people know what they have and that there is a market for row your own wagons and they hold their value. For that price you can get early e9x M3's...

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/15 9:34 a.m.

get a focus st and call it a wagon?

T.J.
T.J. PowerDork
1/30/15 9:41 a.m.
JohnRW1621 wrote: 2015-2014, seems you may have to settle for a Fiat 500L or Juke, Cube Soul, Forte Scions Subarus

This makes me sad.

rcutclif
rcutclif GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/15 10:13 a.m.

is Mini offering something big enough to be considered a wagon yet?

2002maniac
2002maniac Dork
1/30/15 10:42 a.m.

There are 6 2011-2012 328i wagons on autotrader. Only 1 is RWD (my preference)

2011 328i wagon

JohnRW1621
JohnRW1621 UltimaDork
1/30/15 10:52 a.m.
rcutclif wrote: is Mini offering something big enough to be considered a wagon yet?

No, but Mini is offering something big enough to be considered a SUV:
Mini All4, Jeep Compass, Nissan Juke

trigun7469
trigun7469 Dork
1/30/15 11:41 a.m.

I test drove the Juke and although there is a performance element with the turbo, but it is a tiny vehicle, nobody above the height of 5' can fit in the back and the storage is a joke.

Contradiction
Contradiction Reader
1/30/15 4:12 p.m.
trigun7469 wrote: I test drove the Juke and although there is a performance element with the turbo, but it is a tiny vehicle, nobody above the height of 5' can fit in the back and the storage is a joke.

That's the thing I don't get about most of these small crossovers and 5 door hatches. Frankly there isn't any extra storage advantage to these at all if roof line tapers so drastically behind the door that you get about half of the cubic space above the belt line.

Unless folding the seats down really helps for storage most of these hatches these days are really just a styling exercise. A true wagon definitely has more useful space.

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 Dork
1/30/15 4:32 p.m.

In reply to Contradiction: Since people don't want to buy wagons, the companies make small crossovers and sporty hatchbacks with little space in them.

beans
beans Dork
1/30/15 5:42 p.m.

Cayenne GTS 6-speed?

GTwannaB
GTwannaB GRM+ Memberand HalfDork
1/30/15 6:50 p.m.

Lower a Forester, instant wagon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
Gx9ncyDbbVcb6QszcV5WwPTgcXwx9rwlGLUG2jvM3RuApOrUHLEWJ9T6eHZs6tXO