noddaz
noddaz GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/18/20 8:24 p.m.

Sunday afternoon (5/17) I found an Estwing framing hammer near an intersection near where I live.

What has anyone else found recently?

Scott

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa Dork
5/18/20 8:37 p.m.

Couple weeks back I found a set of Irwin Vice Grips in the middle of the road.  Had Ernesto M's name and phone number on them.  He hasn't returned my call yet.

bearmtnmartin
bearmtnmartin GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
5/18/20 9:44 p.m.

We are clearing my parents farm and I was looking at his shop bench. He was driving home one day in the old farm truck and he found a slab of steel in the road. He hopped out and manhandled on to the flatbed and brought it home. It is four inches thick, four feet long and 12 inches wide. He really does not understand how he lifted it and could not get it back off the truck without using a tractor. I know now it weighs 650 pounds.

David S. Wallens
David S. Wallens Editorial Director
5/19/20 11:14 a.m.

We once found a big piece of diamond plate in front of the office--like the size of a surf board. Looked like a top to a truck tool box. 

Tyler H (Forum Supporter)
Tyler H (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UberDork
5/19/20 12:29 p.m.

I got a really nice level, vice grips, channel locks, a handful of sockets.  Used to spot a lot more when I was riding vs driving.

1988RedT2
1988RedT2 MegaDork
5/19/20 12:46 p.m.

Nothing lately, but it's nice if you don't have to dodge the tools as they're bouncing down the interstate at 70 mph.  Had that happen following a utility body truck up I-95.  Tried to identify object bouncing towards me.  About the time I figured out it was a hammer, it had lost some energy and was skipping and sliding.  Managed to pass it without contact.  First couple of bounces were easily windshield high.  Kind of an "Oh, poop!" moment.

Other notable object was an extension ladder in the left lane of I-64 around Richmond.  That'll wake you up.

Floating Doc (Forum Supporter)
Floating Doc (Forum Supporter) GRM+ Memberand UltraDork
5/19/20 2:03 p.m.

I've seen several ladders, already smashed before I came along.

I've picked up the odd tool, I believe a craftsman flat blade screwdriver was the last. 

My most repeated thing to pick up is ice chests. I've scooped up a few cheap coolers, but also a 72 quart Igloo Marine box, and a 200 quart (50 gallons!) Taylor Made with a cushion.

I need to sell the big one, I'm not going to be buying any more salt water fishing boats, and it's just taking up room in the garage.

shagles
shagles Reader
5/19/20 2:18 p.m.

Ladders in the road are a once a week occurrence in north DFW. Some buddies and I have a similar thing with car parts in the middle of the road. So far we've seen a brake rotor, clutch disk, and I found a brand new sway bar for a charger/300. 

jimbbski
jimbbski SuperDork
5/19/20 2:38 p.m.

You guys find tools!  Mostly around here you see mattresses and old ones at that. EU!

djsilver (Forum Supporter)
djsilver (Forum Supporter) Reader
5/19/20 6:32 p.m.

My  wife has brought home 2 found tools.  She found an old school Amprobe clamp-on in a parking lot.  She also found a Craftsman scaffold builders hammer.   This weekend I found a nice big plastic funnel sitting in the grass at the entrance to our neighborhood.  

dxman92
dxman92 HalfDork
5/19/20 8:13 p.m.

Only thing I've been seeing in parking lots lately are discarded rubber gloves or masks.

Mr_Asa
Mr_Asa MegaDork
10/12/24 12:43 p.m.

Gf got a big ole bolt in her tire last night.  This morning, as I was following, and she was driving to Tires Plus it flung the boot and immediately lost enough air to debead the tire.  

Pulled the tire, threw it in the Miata and we left the parking lot to get it plugged enough to reseat the bead and drive it to the shop.

As I left the lot my internal Goblin activated and I saw a treat.  Whipped back through, grabbed it, then finished the errands.  

Bonus pics

GameboyRMH
GameboyRMH GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/12/24 3:19 p.m.

Found a slim jim at the bottom of my driveway a year or two ago.

kb58
kb58 UltraDork
10/13/24 1:16 a.m.

I've actually contributed to this. I'd just upgraded the Datsun 1200's engine (or suspension, can't remember) so went out for a test drive. I brought along tools for "just in case", and being a work in progress, the floor mats, carpet, and drain plugs were out of the car. Driving along I heard a screwdriver (or was it a wrench) rattling, and when I glanced down, saw it disappearing out the drain plug hole. Went back and looked for it... nothing. I still remember right where it happened, wonder if it's still there in the soft dirt at the side of the road... 41 years later.

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
tlmBzppNVLNarrfCgEARFGPyeonYYZvt3AG3ChmHhC8hs20WFQ5SMAtbrOTN9S9g