1/11/16 6:57 p.m.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
1/11/16 6:58 p.m.

Yes please.

driver109x
driver109x HalfDork
1/11/16 7:10 p.m.

I like it...but put something that goes across the middle of the grill.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/11/16 7:11 p.m.

Looks amazing. Great design. Needs to be built just like that.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
1/11/16 7:17 p.m.

In reply to mazdeuce:

This is the production car.

G_Body_Man
G_Body_Man Dork
1/11/16 7:19 p.m.

More shots! I still can't believe that this is a production car.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/11/16 7:28 p.m.

Color me shocked. I thought this was their next "idea" car so I sort of glossed over the auto show coverage of it. It's pretty exciting to see Toyota do this.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
1/11/16 7:58 p.m.

I must say, I'm surprised a car this awesome looking has wiper stalks.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
1/11/16 7:59 p.m.

cant wait to see some more colors.

sesto elemento
sesto elemento Dork
1/11/16 8:02 p.m.

I hope they build this one too... I'd buy one of these the day they came out.

Fitzauto
Fitzauto HalfDork
1/11/16 8:10 p.m.

Oh my yes. I want one

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/11/16 8:13 p.m.

In reply to sesto elemento:

What is THAT? Great googly moogly I want one.

pres589
pres589 UberDork
1/11/16 9:20 p.m.

Too bad it isn't pretty.

Feedyurhed
Feedyurhed SuperDork
1/12/16 6:41 a.m.

Looks nice but what's the market on a $60-70-80K (just guessing) 2 door coupe these days?

gearheadE30
gearheadE30 Reader
1/12/16 7:34 a.m.

So here's the real question - this, or an F-Type?

dculberson
dculberson UberDork
1/12/16 9:38 a.m.
driver109x wrote: I like it...but put something that goes across the middle of the grill.

No it's perfect as is. I hate the modern styling trope of the huge grill with an off color bar across the middle. All or nothing.

mazdeuce
mazdeuce PowerDork
1/12/16 10:23 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Looks nice but what's the market on a $60-70-80K (just guessing) 2 door coupe these days?

Judging by the number of F-types and CTS coupes and two door Mercedes whatever they are and BMW 6's of various sorts I see, the market is pretty good around me.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/12/16 10:29 a.m.
Feedyurhed wrote: Looks nice but what's the market on a $60-70-80K (just guessing) 2 door coupe these days?

Audi managed to move R8's as well.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/12/16 10:40 a.m.

You'd have a hard time going slower for your $100k that's for sure. A 467hp engine and that price tag do not go together.

xflowgolf
xflowgolf Dork
1/12/16 10:48 a.m.
DaveEstey wrote: You'd have a hard time going slower for your $100k that's for sure. A 467hp engine and that price tag do not go together.

While I don't disagree, I also have to wonder what the point is in having 500+HP in what is essentially a grand touring coupe. What's the magic number a luxury sport coupe needs to have?

These aren't really track day machines. Yes they should have some pedigree, but these are oppulent status pieces. Boulevard cruisers. Wrapping you in luxury while you storm away from streetlights and sink into that Corinthian leather as the road opens up in front of you. 450+ anything horsepower is more than 95% of these type of cars will ever fully utilize.

I'd define it as "adequate", and it will provide plenty of "oomph" to give the impression of more than enough power when hitting the throttle.

We live in amazing times for factory power.

MadScientistMatt
MadScientistMatt UberDork
1/12/16 10:50 a.m.
dculberson wrote:
driver109x wrote: I like it...but put something that goes across the middle of the grill.
No it's perfect as is. I hate the modern styling trope of the huge grill with an off color bar across the middle. All or nothing.

I would rather have a body colored horizontal line across the grille, making it look a lot like an SC400. Other than that, it looks great.

DaveEstey
DaveEstey PowerDork
1/12/16 10:59 a.m.

In reply to xflowgolf:

Fair point, but it only makes 390lb-ft @ 4,800rpm. Compare the BMW 6-Series coupe with the twin turbo V8, which is cheaper and has 480lb-ft at 1,800rpm.

That's a very different driving experience.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
1/12/16 12:03 p.m.

I think this bodes extremely well for the next Supra. If the difference in cool factor from an old SC400 to a TT Supra holds this time around, it's hard to imagine how awesome a new Supra derivative of this could be.

But this car is pretty exciting in its own right. I would definitely like to see the interior with more contrasting color, though.

golfduke
golfduke Reader
1/12/16 12:09 p.m.
DaveEstey wrote: In reply to xflowgolf: Fair point, but it only makes 390lb-ft @ 4,800rpm. Compare the BMW 6-Series coupe with the twin turbo V8, which is cheaper and has 480lb-ft at 1,800rpm. That's a very different driving experience.

Exactly. I don't need hair raising exhilaration when getting my child from soccer practice, but if it's available without any additional money needed I'm taking the ponies 10/10 times. Lexus does have a very devoted ownership following though. Some of the highest customer retention rates in the industry belong to Lexus.

Joe Gearin
Joe Gearin Associate Publisher
1/12/16 12:39 p.m.

I dunno.....this new Lexus, or the new Buick? They are both good looking, status machines, but the Buick is less likely to be overladen with tech. One of the things that annoys me most about new Lexus, and Acuras are they are constantly trying to prove how smart they are--- and how they are smarter than you. This Buick may offer a less intrusive tech interface......maybe not.

Although the Lexus name carries more cachet, the Buick would likely cost less.

Neither is my kinda car, but at least the roads will be getting better looking soon.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
ziyt68FBeHYmiaxNNKAz6YUjNaynFR7mykAXqpheoBdXTjCXtCp6chvqJyGrBGch