1 2
02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/14/24 5:20 p.m.

With the Audi sold, I'm planning to put some of the proceeds toward new seats for my 2002. The factory seats are long gone, thankfully, replaced by the p/o some 30+ years ago with Taiwan-made generic sport seats ("Turbo"!) that are serviceable but tired. I figure I have two options: used vintage replacements, or new. As much as I know used older seats will have started out higher quality than what I can afford to buy new now, they're also going to be old, so I'm leaning toward new. Preference is for black (or black & white houndstooth) cloth with recline, reasonably bolstered but not track seats, comfortable over distances. I have long legs, so a decently long bottom cushion is necessary. Extra adjustments are nice but not critical. What does the hive recommend for ~$1000 (I can go up a little if it's worth the jump) for the pair? Alternatively, anyone got a set of really great vintage seats they want to sell?

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/24 5:34 p.m.

I was going to suggest Scheel-Mann but the seats that I think would look great in an 02 are about $1,600 each! They do look like a high quality option.

I know the E21 Sport Recaro's used to be the go to but they've also gone crazy in price. I'd probably be keeping an eye out for some flavour of OEM Recaro myself, maybe out of an old gti. 

Trent
Trent UltimaDork
10/14/24 5:36 p.m.

GTS Classics makes some very cool stuff. The Monte Carlo is a take on the classic Recaro/Scheel design and they offer houndstooth and tartan cloths! The $1200 seems steep but paying for upholstery work will cost more.

The new production Scheel Mann are IMO, too heavy for a 2002. Great seats, comfy, super adjustable, but tanks. We are an authorized dealer and I have one right next to me.

It is a shame the current production ProCar Elite seats look so cheap and awful. Their 90's stuff was great. I have a set in my Caddy.

Given your description this Sparco seems like a good fit. Super affordable too

It would look tidy in a 2002. 

I suggest anything but a modern wingback chair "racing" seat. A classic car with those just looks terrible to me

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/14/24 6:46 p.m.

In reply to Trent :

Those Sparco seats are currently #1 on my list. Not crazy about the pleather bolsters, but I can live with them, and they're better than anything else I've found. Unfortunately, there are very few reviews online, and the nearest dealer is several hours away. I'd be very interested in hearing from anyone who has seen/sat in those.

adam525i
adam525i GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/14/24 6:53 p.m.
02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/14/24 7:22 p.m.

In reply to adam525i :

Done, thanks for the link.

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
DeadSkunk (Warren) MegaDork
10/14/24 9:26 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Where are you located?

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/14/24 9:28 p.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

An hour or so north of NYC.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
Woody (Forum Supportum) GRM+ Memberand MegaDork
10/14/24 9:32 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

I have two pairs of vintage Recaros that would be right at home in a 2002.  They need a clean and retuck, but that's not hard on these.

I've actually been holding onto these just in case I buy a 2002, but that doesn't seem likely in the near future. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/14/24 9:36 p.m.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/14/24 10:11 p.m.

In reply to Woody (Forum Supportum) :

Well, those are tempting. I have no idea what retucking involves, but it sounds like you can fill me in. I'll send you a PM.

Flynlow
Flynlow Dork
10/14/24 10:18 p.m.

In addition to the normal Sparco and Recaro options, this company has intrigued me recently with their plaid and houndstooth options:

https://braumracing.com/collections/universal-reclinable-seats

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/14/24 10:23 p.m.
02Pilot said:

Well, those are tempting. I have no idea what retucking involves, but it sounds like you can fill me in. I'll send you a PM.

I'm at work tonight and email doesn't work from this building. I'll check the mail in the morning and get back to you. 

akylekoz
akylekoz UberDork
10/15/24 7:14 a.m.

https://corbeau.com/a4/?gad_source=1&gclid=CjwKCAjwpbi4BhByEiwAMC8JnX8lr7OPDK0IXhnxY6gk69y3nZLUeCgg6TJSI6KhUk_wz2xwnELxihoCQE8QAvD_BwE

A4

I had a set of these in my 92 Mustang with gray microsuede centers.  They were a big improvement over stock, my wife thought they were comfortable and she is picky.  I liked the stock look better. 

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/15/24 7:58 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

In an ideal world you want the backs from the first picture Woody posted with the "C" version of the cushion. That's the one that has an extendable front section for folks with long legs. That makes for a really adjustable, comfortable seat. Woody's first pair even hinge in the center of the back so you can adjust to your particular back curvature! A picture of my LXC Recaros to show the cushion.....

DeadSkunk  (Warren)
10/15/24 8:25 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

The "retucking" Woody mentioned is just removing the upholstery hog rings, pulling the cloth tighter, and re-anchoring it with hog rings or zipties.Not hard to do on these seats as the wings and center upholstery are all separate pieces.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/15/24 9:12 a.m.

In reply to DeadSkunk (Warren) :

I have those extendable thigh bolsters on the OE sport seats in my 128i, and they are excellent. Good to hear that retucking isn't a big thing.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/15/24 9:15 a.m.

As to the other companies mentioned, I think the Corbeau GTS II deserves consideration, though I still prefer the look of the Sparco. Most of the others are too modern for the 2002, at least in my eyes.

nocones
nocones GRM+ Memberand PowerDork
10/15/24 10:20 a.m.

I looked at the NRG Prisma GT for the MG until I realized that they are to thick in the back.  

They are probably lower quality then what you are looking for but they do have a certain restomod vibe to them.  

They can be had for about $270 each.  Probably not high enough quality for what you are looking for. 

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/15/24 10:22 a.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

You have mail.

02Pilot
02Pilot PowerDork
10/15/24 11:43 a.m.

I replied, but Gmail's server kept timing out on me, so hopefully it got through. If not, let me know and I'll try again.

Woody (Forum Supportum)
10/15/24 1:31 p.m.

In reply to 02Pilot :

Got it.

VolvoHeretic
VolvoHeretic GRM+ Memberand SuperDork
10/15/24 4:14 p.m.

These are what I would want. Bonneville Pillow top.

stuart in mn
stuart in mn MegaDork
10/15/24 4:23 p.m.

The factory sport seats that came in e30 3 series cars would look right in a 2002.  They're fairly similar to old school Recaros, and personally I think they're very comfortable with good bolstering.

In reply to stuart in mn :

They are nice, but they're a bit on the heavy side just like the E21 Recaros (also used in the E24, iirc).  I sat in E21 Recaros, didn't like them as much as E30 sports.

I have GTS IIs in the E21, they're comfortable, not that supportive, and I hope fabric is better these days, but they're not bad at all, and are fairly light.  They're quite comfortable.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
AftzP0VVOrhw5kjrlV9OVBRptvKMUgpyTenV8wN9hes28F1SY12zSpukayxAD4iI