1 2
Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/20/14 10:09 a.m.

Time to get a new DD and as much as I want a new Mustang GT, I don't think its going to work out at this point, damnit . So what's not to love about 30MPG, 6spd manual, big brakes, 272hp turbo'd 2.0, and RWD, besides the price point of 32k plus?

Donebrokeit
Donebrokeit Dork
7/20/14 10:53 a.m.

Engine noise in the cabin. I have driven one new and one used (8K miles)ATS, I was SHOCKED by the amount of noise inside the cabin. This some from a guy who use to DD a Dodge Omni. Maybe they have fixed the issue. Other then the noise the car was great, nice power, great brakes, handle well, and very nice seats. Overall the car was nice and I would like take another look if the nose issue was fixed.

Paul

racerfink
racerfink SuperDork
7/20/14 11:45 a.m.

The 336hp V-6 I drove had no noticable engine noise in the cabin. Very nice car, and if I were in the market for a new car, this would be on the list.

The_Jed
The_Jed UltraDork
7/20/14 11:47 a.m.

On paper it looks like a great car!

Appleseed
Appleseed MegaDork
7/20/14 12:16 p.m.

In real life it looks like a great car.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/20/14 2:09 p.m.

I like the Cadillac ATS but....

http://jalopnik.com/chevrolet-ss-manual-transmission-magnetic-ride-confirm-1607990115 Hmm.....

Of course that will be a good deal more than $32k. I'd take one in that new crazy mopar purple color.

Ranger50
Ranger50 PowerDork
7/20/14 2:13 p.m.

In reply to kanaric:

Correct on the price plus I read yesterday that the SS is over after 15.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/20/14 4:24 p.m.

Ive driven the 3.6 ATS and i was very impressed with it. I still dislike the haptic controls on the center stack of the new Cadillacs but other than that i have nothing bad to say from my brief experience. As for what good i have to say, it goes something like "These new cadillacs are holy flippin E36 M3 amounts of better than they were just 5 years ago!"

Mr_Clutch42
Mr_Clutch42 HalfDork
7/20/14 4:25 p.m.

DO IT! Motortrend said it was better than the Mercedes C-Class and the BMW 3-series, at least when they compare the V6 versions.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/20/14 4:27 p.m.
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to kanaric: Correct on the price plus I read yesterday that the SS is over after 15.

Hmm... idk. It seems odd they would just add these new features for 1 model year.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
7/20/14 5:14 p.m.
kanaric wrote:
Ranger50 wrote: In reply to kanaric: Correct on the price plus I read yesterday that the SS is over after 15.
Hmm... idk. It seems odd they would just add these new features for 1 model year.

Because GM would never EVER kill a car after some major re-engineering and just as it's getting good right?

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/20/14 5:27 p.m.
kanaric wrote:

Actually that sounds exactly like something they would do.

kanaric
kanaric HalfDork
7/20/14 7:25 p.m.

lol i'm not a big GM fan so maybe I missed a few of their epic failures in actions like that.

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
7/20/14 7:50 p.m.
kanaric wrote: lol i'm not a big GM fan so maybe I missed a few of their epic failures in actions like that.

1995 Impala SS: last year made (RWD), only year with floor shift. 1988 Fiero: last year made, only year with new suspension. 1991 GMC Syclone: One year only. 1993 Cadillac Allante: Last year made, only year for the Northstar.

I'm sure there are many more, these are just off the top of my head.

dj06482
dj06482 GRM+ Memberand Dork
7/20/14 10:07 p.m.

What about the Pontiac G8 GXP and Solstice GXP coming out just before Pontiac was killed off?

nicksta43
nicksta43 UberDork
7/20/14 10:29 p.m.
Junkyard_Dog wrote:
kanaric wrote: lol i'm not a big GM fan so maybe I missed a few of their epic failures in actions like that.
1996 Impala SS: last year made (RWD), only year with floor shift. 1988 Fiero: last year made, only year with new suspension. 1991 GMC Syclone: One year only. 1993 Cadillac Allante: Last year made, only year for the Northstar. I'm sure there are many more, these are just off the top of my head.

close

Junkyard_Dog
Junkyard_Dog SuperDork
7/20/14 10:31 p.m.
dj06482 wrote: What about the Pontiac G8 GXP and Solstice GXP coming out just before Pontiac was killed off?

Pretty sure that one wasn't exactly planned, but yeah same thing.

carbon
carbon HalfDork
7/21/14 2:12 p.m.

I vote, get an lexus is that's not the slow one.

clutchsmoke
clutchsmoke Dork
7/21/14 5:13 p.m.
Donebrokeit wrote: Engine noise in the cabin. I have driven one new and one used (8K miles)ATS, I was SHOCKED by the amount of noise inside the cabin. This some from a guy who use to DD a Dodge Omni. Maybe they have fixed the issue. Other then the noise the car was great, nice power, great brakes, handle well, and very nice seats. Overall the car was nice and I would like take another look if the nose issue was fixed. Paul

I drove a Buick Regal GS last summer and it was nice and quiet inside. I can't imagine the Cadillac being worse with the same engine in a RWD car.

Opti
Opti Reader
7/21/14 8:33 p.m.

The noise in the cabin is probably from tires, some of the ATS have 19" run flats. That would explain why some people have noticed it an others havent.

GM has made big strides in NVH these last few years, dont believe me, go drive a new chevy silverado, its eerily quiet for a truck.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/21/14 9:24 p.m.

Fwiw: I'm seeing V2 CTS-V's in that same price range. No, they will not get 30 mpg. Yes, they will be 30 times moar fun to drive. Or a V1 at less than half the price.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/22/14 12:07 p.m.

A v1 is less than half the car, unless you are comparing CTSv performance to ATS non-v performance.

poopshovel
poopshovel MegaDork
7/22/14 2:30 p.m.
Vigo wrote: A v1 is less than half the car, unless you are comparing CTSv performance to ATS non-v performance.

I am corn-fused.

Opti
Opti Reader
7/24/14 8:14 p.m.
poopshovel wrote:
Vigo wrote: A v1 is less than half the car, unless you are comparing CTSv performance to ATS non-v performance.
I am corn-fused.

Me to, considering there isnt an ATS-V yet.

Vigo
Vigo PowerDork
7/25/14 2:40 p.m.

It's half the money because the newer car is approximately 100% better (imo) in terms of materials, build quality, appearance, technology, etc etc etc.

Seriously, the first gen CTS probably saved cadillac, and the V is a GRM hero car, but the basic car itself, objectively, is almost a pile of crap compared to a new ATS. GM has improved their products at breakneck speed since the first gen CTS came out the new cars are genuinely much better.

Dont get me wrong, the first gen CTSV was a very neat car and a great bargain at current prices, but implying it is a similar car to a new ATS at half the price is disingenuous. If you put the first gen CTS on a cadillac dealer's new car lot today and tried to sell it as a new car, they would immediately hide it somewhere where it couldnt embarass them. New Cadillacs are just that much better than 10 year old cadillacs.

Im just saying there are really good reasons why v1 CTSV is half the price of a new ATS.

1 2

You'll need to log in to post.

Our Preferred Partners
cHpq9Ci3AAUGUidL2qjDhUxg9jAbDjbTpPUEMJFoAjhw2VDAmlFwmlaibLFGwxtj